An official Usborne Books thread....

Options

Comments

• Caroline73_2
    Caroline73_2 Posts: 2,654 Forumite
    Options
    A book pledge is where you act on behalf of a school and contact local companies asking them to buy a book/books for the school.

Again - not a silly question!
  • domestic_goddess
    Options
    Caroline73 wrote: »
    It is great to get into schools, but you can approach any schools you want to do. The schools allocation list no longer exists as it was detrimental to how we worked. Someone would allocate themself a school but not follow it up.

When I contact a school I just ask if they are in contact with someone as a matter of courtesy. Go for your Book Pledge DG (if I may call you that) it will be good publicity for you and great towards your Flying Starts.

I've been selling over 3 years and I never have any trouble selling. I always sell at RRP. If Book People have a book cheaper I don't display it. We often have sets the same or even cheaper than the Book People.

Having said that, I was at an event two stands away from the Book People, both selling Phonics sets. The BP agent offered to take his off display for me but I knew I would sell mine well. I offered them with the Phonics Flashcards and I could talk to the people about Phonics and how to use them with early readers.

You can call me whatever you like:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

I really appreciate your advice, I am going to contact the school as soon as my pack comes through.

Has anyone else done one and been successful in raising all of the money?
  • Caroline73_2
    Options
    Lots of people have done good book pledges. I have had some good ones in my team, I did one but I didn't feel comfortable approaching companies. I still raised £250 and then stopped as I thought I'd done enough.
  • Mim_D
    Mim_D Posts: 31 Forumite
    Options
    Has anyone else done one and been successful in raising all of the money?

I did a book pledge for the childrens unit at a local hospital and they received about £1800 worth of free Usborne books/games/cards as a result! I have to agree with Caroline though that I did feel uncomfortable approaching companies asking for donations as so many large organisations are bombarded with these kinds of requests, however the hard work paid off in the end (and it was very hard work!).
    I would consider doing another book pledge for a school, but I would probably go down the route of encouraging parents with businesses to donate.
    You could also consider a "Ready Steady Read!" event for a school. This is where the children are sponsored to read as much as possible in a given time, and the money raised goes towards buying new books for the school... just an idea!
  • Caroline73_2
    Options
    RSR are fab! One girl in my team raised over £6000 last Autumn just on RSR's and she organised them in one afternoon!
  • honey28
    honey28 Posts: 1,546 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Does information on organising book pledges and "ready steady read" etc come with the start up pack or is this something you pick up through time and experience?
    So, I approach the school, suggest a sponsored read and then what? the school use money to buy books at reduced cost and the organiser gets commission on the total sale, is that what you mean? Do I supply sponsor forms?

Sorry for yet more questions, your advice ladies is great and I have my form completed to send off (99.9%sure) tomorrow :T
  • Caroline73_2
    Options
    All the info is on the organiser's website. Your upline will go through it all with you (hopefully - have you chosen someone?)

Basically, you approach the school, the children get sponsored to read and the school buy the books, Usborne give the school a free percentage of books and you earn commission on the amount raised.

You supply the sponsor forms but they are available as a free download on the website. I have always just emailed one to the school and they have printed off a load and handed them out.
  • Mim_D
    Mim_D Posts: 31 Forumite
    Options
    honey28 wrote: »
    Does information on organising book pledges and "ready steady read" etc come with the start up pack or is this something you pick up through time and experience?
    So, I approach the school, suggest a sponsored read and then what? the school use money to buy books at reduced cost and the organiser gets commission on the total sale, is that what you mean? Do I supply sponsor forms?

Sorry for yet more questions, your advice ladies is great and I have my form completed to send off (99.9%sure) tomorrow :T

Sorry, I've only just seen your questions about sponsored reads as I've been out all day but Caroline seems to have covered everything for you - great story too about her team member getting £6000 raised with RSRs!! - I haven't done one yet but would love to have a go...
    Don't worry about asking questions, there's always someone around to help out/ give advice :cheesy:
  • honey28
    honey28 Posts: 1,546 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm so keen to get started! :)
  • domestic_goddess
    Options
    Yeay

I've got my starter pack....

I am going to start contacting schools today....

Wish me luck

:beer:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport