Home Insurance Discussion

Options

Comments

• silverfoxuk
    silverfoxuk Posts: 122 Forumite
    Options
    I have similar circumstance in that live in standard semi detached 3 bed house, contents worth no more than 30K and the only item worth more than £1,000 would be wifes engagement ring which was valued a year ago as £3,750.

As has been said before I have to go through the online quote engines then phone up a few to ask how much to get the ring 'specified' on the policy as it is over the usual limit of about £1,500 for an individual item.

I've been looking around and M&S Home Insurance 'premier' gives unlimited cover for both buildings and contents, and covers all individual items up to £4,000 without the need to specify this includes out of the house assuming you pick 'cover away from the home' cover as well. Any experience of customer service - I think the policy is underwritten by AXA?

Also, we have British Gas cover for the boiler so am confused as to whether it is worth paying extra for the Emergency Home Care cover. Again, any experience with this type of 'add-on' - did you find it useful in an 'emergency'?
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Silverfoxuk the policy you refer to has good cover, Axa are a very big company but their claims and customer service is hit and miss. If you have a problem with them it takes a lot to get it sorted out.
  • silverfoxuk
    Options
    Hmmm. Makes the choice difficult doesn't it? If a catastrophe happens (eg flood or fire etc) I don't want to have any additional hassles with an insurance company on top of the ones I would have if I needed to move out for example. So i would like a good level of customer service and be happy to pay a bit more for doing so. That would probably lead me in the direction of Hiscox or similar.

On the 'Emergency HomeCare' add-on - has anyone found this valuable at any time?
  • owen1978
    owen1978 Posts: 162 Forumite
    Options
    Is this a good qoute?

Purchase Price £102,000
    Buildings & Contents (£50,000)

£165.70
  • dacouch
    Options
    Silverfox it depends what you want from your Insurance, the posters on MSE from the industry (Including Me) will tell you that Insurance is like any other product in that you normally get what you pay for. The Hiscox Policy is one of the best on the market and is designed for the higher end of the market who have very high expectations from their Insurers. As a result the price is normally more than the rest of the market.

If I was buying home insurance for me and money was no object I would chose any from Chubb, Hiscox, Oak or Home and Legacy.

You may find the following survey helpful, it was made by questioning brokers on their veiws of Insurers. http://www.instimes.co.uk/story.asp?storyCode=376295
  • Torkijo
    Torkijo Posts: 506 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Had my renewel through - £339, did the first 2 comparisons and got it down to £201 (but never heard of the insurer), Did Tesco's own insurance quote and for a slightly better package the quote was £214!!

Phoned them up and said whats to stop me just cancelling and then going with my online quote - they said nothing but would prefer to keep existing policy in place so the man in there 'Customer Loyalty' team played with his flexibilities and matched the online quote for me.

15 minutes online, 7 minute call and £125 saved - not bad for 22 minutes work.
  • ellemm
    ellemm Posts: 11,262 Forumite
    Home Insurance Hacker! Cashback Cashier
    Options
    I was insured last year with Bank of Scotland for buildings & contents - £179 but was promised £50 cashback. Cheque arrived but only for £25. OH made several phone calls and visits to local branch-each time having to explain the situation to different people - but he's like a dog with a bone and won't give up! So we eventually got another £25 even although they insisted we should only have had £25, making the total for the insurance £129.

Decided to have a search after our renewal came in saying they were freezing the insurance premium for this year at the £179.

Best quote was Swinton at £138, including a 20% online discount and promised £30 cashback by cheque - plus, obviously, did it through cashback site- my favourite - Topcashback and got another £30 cashback which tracked in under 2 hours.

So total £78 saving £100. This is for a flat, re-build cost £500,000 and £50,000 contents.
  • m1618
    m1618 Posts: 38 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    dacouch wrote: »

If I was buying home insurance for me and money was no object I would chose any from Chubb, Hiscox, Oak or Home and Legacy.

You may find the following survey helpful, it was made by questioning brokers on their veiws of Insurers: (see link in dacouch's post above)

Thank you dacouch so much for this info and link. As a newbie in the house insurance world, I really appreciate information about which companies are rated highly, and which to avoid. Absolutely BRILLIANT! Thank you! :T
  • dacouch
    Options
    ellemm wrote: »
    I was insured last year with Bank of Scotland for buildings & contents - £179 but was promised £50 cashback. Cheque arrived but only for £25. OH made several phone calls and visits to local branch-each time having to explain the situation to different people - but he's like a dog with a bone and won't give up! So we eventually got another £25 even although they insisted we should only have had £25, making the total for the insurance £129.

Decided to have a search after our renewal came in saying they were freezing the insurance premium for this year at the £179.

Best quote was Swinton at £138, including a 20% online discount and promised £30 cashback by cheque - plus, obviously, did it through cashback site- my favourite - Topcashback and got another £30 cashback which tracked in under 2 hours.

So total £78 saving £100. This is for a flat, re-build cost £500,000 and £50,000 contents.

Sounds like Swintons have quoted you on the MMA Profile policy, MMA (Who own Swintons) are not the greatest Insurer. If it was me I would have paid the extra for the BOS policy.
  • skint_but_working_on_it
    Options
    rare_uk wrote: »
    If I have Legal cover with my car insurance, do I need to buy legal cover with my home insurance too? Thanks

"Legal cover" covers the cost of solicitor/court expenses should you need to take a claim that far. It's best to check what each of your insurers' legal cover actually does cover. I know home cover does an awful lot (I work in the legal sector and some of our clients use their household cover for various types of claims) but it's always worth checking.

Personally - I've NEVER taken legal cover for my car but always have on my household. Don't quote me though - tis just my personal preference!!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback