Check your driving licence discussion

Options

Comments

• Flyboy152
    Flyboy152 Posts: 17,118 Forumite
    Options
    joshgeake wrote: »
    Erm yes, paper licenses are perfectly valid. If you 'earn' points though you will need to renew it.

No you won't, they just get added to your paper licence.
    The greater danger, for most of us, lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low and achieving our mark
  • jaydeeuk1
    jaydeeuk1 Posts: 7,714 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Well whaddya know, mine ran out in Feb. And its got the wrong address. Let's see if I can go for the hattrick and find that my insurance has expired!
  • RabbitMad
    RabbitMad Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Options
    joshgeake wrote: »
    Mine expired in March and I've not bothered renewing - why should I pay £20 to the DVLA for it? Just because they threaten to fine me £1000?!

I had my lawyer read through the reminder when I was in his office and he pointed out that at no point in the reminder did it say I had to renew. Indeed he said it said I only 'may' be fined. So I've not bothered and neither have my friends.

I guess if I need to drive abroad I'll probably do it.

I haven't renewed my as it is a rip off. if enough people ignore it the gov will have to scrap the requirement
  • GreenMan
    GreenMan Posts: 65 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    RabbitMad wrote: »
    I haven't renewed my as it is a rip off. if enough people ignore it the gov will have to scrap the requirement

You clearly aren't the only one as a third of the UK agree - though less it appears on this thread.

I'm not normally one to be cynical but this is without doubt a money making exercise and nothing else. I haven't paid it yet but unfortunately once you move address the licence becomes even more invalid and then they have you ;)
  • anotherbaldrick
    anotherbaldrick Posts: 2,335 Forumite
    Options
    Is your driving licence valid ?
    Brand new and all set for another 3 years, I filled the application in on the DVLA site and got the new one through the post in 3 days.
    You scullion! You rampallian! You fustilarian! I’ll tickle your catastrophe (Henry IV part 2)
  • Rover_Driver
    Rover_Driver Posts: 1,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'ts the photo that expires every 10 years, not the licence. Unless it is restricted, the licence itself expires when you are 70.
  • Stephen_Leak
    Stephen_Leak Posts: 8,762 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 11 December 2011 at 7:02PM
    Options
    I've still got my old paper licence. It's valid to 09/06/2025, the day before my 70th birthday. I just hope I still am then. :)
    The acquisition of wealth is no longer the driving force in my life. :)
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    edited 27 July 2011 at 2:30PM
    Options
    The DVLA send out reminders. If anyone finds their licence has expired and they didn't get a reminder, they also need to check whether the DVLA has their current address.

Ohhhhh now it makes sense, if you don't renew because you didn't know what section 4b meant. They fine you.....
    If you haven't updated your address, they fine you.....

DVLA wins again! :mad:

I knew this was a money making scheme and I wondered why they'd start sending reminders, but now it makes sense.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • sarahg1969
    sarahg1969 Posts: 6,694 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My licence is valid until I'm 70. The photo expires next year, however.
  • SmallFry
    Options
    Been trying for a few weeks to renew online using my passport photo which is still valid. The website keeps crashing out while trying to do it. Very irritating if I have to go into main post office.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback