PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Panasonic Breadmakers Tips and Quick Questions Thread

Options

Comments

• belfastgirl23
    belfastgirl23 Posts: 8,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I got one of these breadmakers as a present and to be honest have never even done more than look at it.What I was wondering is do you have to leave the paddle in for baking,because surely you must get a funny shaped loaf if you do.
    After reading all your positive posts about these machines I feel I should realy give it a go but was also wondering if they work out expensive as far as electricity goes as that would seem counter productive if they do.
    Any advice.Thanks.

Would you believe I just tried my energy monitor on my BM for the first time. For a 5 hour wholemeal loaf recipe it used 0.433 KWH of electricity - 5.5p at my tariff of 12.66 per KWH

And yes the paddle does leave a little slice in the loaf, doesn't bother me but you can always fish it out after it finishes kneading and you'd be left with just a small hole in the base.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    a tip for sourdough bakers who don`t want to use the oven

I put 25 oz of lightly mixed sourdough dough into the bm on french bread setting and if I want it to stand longer then I add on some time with the timer. The bread turns out very well. I am on my second loaf like this today and will take more notice of the finished height. I will experiment by adding a couple of extra ozs of dough each time to the max that the bm can work with
  • AlwaysHappy
    AlwaysHappy Posts: 1,506 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    My panny does pizza dough in 45 mins - did you use the recipe from the book? My book also states how long the programme takes right on the recipe (and on the LED screen on the BM itself) - do you have an older versio maybe...
    Thanks for that, my book doesn't say the times - other than for the standard breads, the breadmaker does say the time once you start it but I was kinda hoping to know in advance to help my planning - will have to do some experimenting me thinks.
    I'm not a failure if I don't make it, I'm a success because I :tried!
  • belfastgirl23
    Options
    Thanks for that, my book doesn't say the times - other than for the standard breads, the breadmaker does say the time once you start it but I was kinda hoping to know in advance to help my planning - will have to do some experimenting me thinks.

If you want to know and it doesn't say in the book you can start the prog running for a couple of seconds just to see how long it says and then make a note in the book. On mine if you hold down the on/off button for about 5 secs it resets so you don't have to go through the whole programme. Took me a bit of trial and error to find that out :)
  • Surfing_spaniel
    Options
    Oh dear, my husband went to Asda yesterday & they'd run out of the white flour I normally have. He bought me some Allinson seed & grain bread flour but I haven't a clue what to do with it. Is there a Panny recipe I can use it with, there's one on the back of the packet but it says to use your BM instructions??
  • belfastgirl23
    Options
    Oh dear, my husband went to Asda yesterday & they'd run out of the white flour I normally have. He bought me some Allinson seed & grain bread flour but I haven't a clue what to do with it. Is there a Panny recipe I can use it with, there's one on the back of the packet but it says to use your BM instructions??

I make a nice seed loaf but I just follow the instructions for 70% wholemeal and throw the seeds in on top...I'd be inclined to just throw it in on the wholemeal cycle (I'm assuming it's a wholemeal mix).
  • cheesesarnie
    Options
    hello.....had my panny since xmas & i've made a number of loafs in the machine & various items to go in the oven..

i've tried a few different supermarket flours for bread makers + have used mainly the little orange packet yeast...

everything I make comes out too heavy for my wife (+ I have to agree although I eat it all the same)...things like bread buns in the oven do rise etc + even have air bubbles within its just it all ends up similar to a scone in internal texture...

any idea what I'm doing wrong? (p.s. I always follow the measurements + order of ingrediants in the panny book)

many thanks
  • belfastgirl23
    Options
    hello.....had my panny since xmas & i've made a number of loafs in the machine & various items to go in the oven..

i've tried a few different supermarket flours for bread makers + have used mainly the little orange packet yeast...

everything I make comes out too heavy for my wife (+ I have to agree although I eat it all the same)...things like bread buns in the oven do rise etc + even have air bubbles within its just it all ends up similar to a scone in internal texture...

any idea what I'm doing wrong? (p.s. I always follow the measurements + order of ingrediants in the panny book)

many thanks

I use the hovis yeast if that's any good to you and find it is reasonably light. Although it could be the difference between HM and shop bought bread where they do pump it full of air to make it cheaper. You could try using some more yeast I guess??? Anyone else any better ideas?
  • Peckedhen
    Peckedhen Posts: 122 Forumite
    Options
    I've been using the Dove yeast, in the orange packet. My loaves haven't been brilliant lately so I have switched to Asda's individually wrapped sachets - Ii seems as though the Dove yeast was past it's best. I kept the packet rolled over and sealed with a peg in the fridge - does anyone know how long it should last?:confused:
    Preemie hats 9 :j
  • chrisandrob
    Options
    In got a Panasonic bread maker a few days ago and im delighted with the bread ,so far
    I have made some lovely basic white loaves and a sandwich loaf ,I have never baked in my life so am clueless ,I am finding them a bit sweet,would I be able to cut the sugar out or do we need it in for some other reason .
    Have been reading all thebreadmaking threads andam getting excited about all the bread I will be able to make
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback