Compensation for delayed flights Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• symphony63
    symphony63 Posts: 105 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 22 March 2017 at 5:25PM
    Options
    After a drawn out fight with Air India over a delay they accepted liability and paid. The claim was for 7 passengers. I received the cheques in the post.

I wonder, when the airlines convert the amount of EUR into GBP what exchange rate do they use? The date of the incident? or the date of the claim? or the date of settlement? the date that they agreed to pay the compensation? just some thoughts.

After checking historic exchange rates I realised that there was a discrepancy between £204 and £365, depending on the dates of which I checked. The date of the incident, the date of acceptance of liability and the date the cheques were issued.

I didn't yet cash the chqs as that would mean that I accept the settlement. I wrote to them 3 weeks ago with this query but they didn't reply.
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    My thoughts are, it should be the exchange rate at the time of the delay, since technically, the compensation is payable immediately.
    If the case goes to court, judges seem to use the exchange rate at the time of the judgement.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • symphony63
    symphony63 Posts: 105 Forumite
    Options
    JPears wrote: »
    My thoughts are, it should be the exchange rate at the time of the delay, since technically, the compensation is payable immediately.
    If the case goes to court, judges seem to use the exchange rate at the time of the judgement.

What are your thoughts, can I take them to court for the descrepancy?
  • sooperb
    sooperb Posts: 135 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I was due to fly home from Tenerife with Vueling a week or so ago, take off was 13.50, arrival 18.20. At the gate it was announced the flight was being diverted to Barcelona for a change of crew, the pilot being close to his 12 hour limit. The plane was an hour late taking off, flew to Barcelona where it sat on the tarmac for an hour and we weren't allowed off. We arrived in Manchester at 21.40. There is no time difference between Tenerife and U.K. I have lodged a compensation claim and have received a response denying it as they say the flight was only 2 hours late. Have I missed something vital here? If it was due to land at 18.20 and didn't arrive until 21.40 it's over 3 hours late surely? Oddly I had the Vueling app and when (at the time) I checked it stated the flight would land at 20.20. Is there anywhere to check the actual landing time of the flight?
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    Options
    sooperb wrote: »
    I was due to fly home from Tenerife with Vueling a week or so ago, take off was 13.50, arrival 18.20. At the gate it was announced the flight was being diverted to Barcelona for a change of crew, the pilot being close to his 12 hour limit. The plane was an hour late taking off, flew to Barcelona where it sat on the tarmac for an hour and we weren't allowed off. We arrived in Manchester at 21.40. There is no time difference between Tenerife and U.K. I have lodged a compensation claim and have received a response denying it as they say the flight was only 2 hours late. Have I missed something vital here? If it was due to land at 18.20 and didn't arrive until 21.40 it's over 3 hours late surely? Oddly I had the Vueling app and when (at the time) I checked it stated the flight would land at 20.20. Is there anywhere to check the actual landing time of the flight?

Flightstats has started charging now for historic flight data and I'm not aware of any other free supplier.

Try putting your flight details into one of the online claim checkers such as Bottonline. If they say you are due compensation then you probably are, their database is very comprehensive.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • sooperb
    Options
    Thanks. I've seen them I think but I wasn't keen to open myself up to phone calls or emails.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,028 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks. I've seen them I think but I wasn't keen to open myself up to phone calls or emails.
    Yes, you get emails from Bott, but not too intrusive and they seemed to stop when I asked them to.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • sooperb
    Options
    I've checked using Bott and it's telling me I can claim €400 per passenger. I presume hey must have checked the flight landing time. Thanks for the tip. Hopefully Vueling won't want to go to court over it ��
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    Options
    I've checked using Bott and it's telling me I can claim €400 per passenger. I presume hey must have checked the flight landing time. Thanks for the tip. Hopefully Vueling won't want to go to court over it ��

Their database checks a number of parameters including any previous cases from the same flight.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback