PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Who doesn't have a stock cupboard

Options

Comments

• Justamum i use instant mash sometimes and it really tastes like real potatoes, if you put in butter, pepper etc. I don't use smash, as i really thought it had a fake taste (going back to being a kid, its probably changed). I really like tesk value, but they swapped it for oak lane on a home delivery and its not as nice.
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) I experimented with tinned potaotes before stocking up and they are fine but I found them very salty. I don't salt my food at the cooking or eating stages so maybe I'm oversensitive but I've now decided to rinse them under the tap to take some of the saltiness away before cooking them. You can also rinse syrup off tinned fruits to reduce the calorie count.

Iceland have those McVities cakes at 2 for £1 at the mo, they're £1 or more each elsewhere. I've had some for pudding with the T*sco Basics custard powder (the one in the 6p sachet) and it's a cheap and tasty dessert.

Storecupboarding is going on as a hedge against inflation. I'm in Year 3 of a total pay freeze and the 2 years prior to that were both at 0.5% which meant that on my p/t salary, I got less increase per week that I would've on the dole.:( Don't have any hopes of getting even the most modest cost-of-living increase come April 2013, so every year my rent and my bills go up and my income doesn't, so it's running to stay still.

There's a certain ruefulness in finding that friends, colleagues and acquaintances who gently-mocked my thrift in more affluent times are now seeking tips.................
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Justamum
    Justamum Posts: 4,727 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I always use instant mash in fish cakes or add to home made soups to thicken them up a bit juastamum
    I have also managed to roast tinned potatoes in the past when we were skinter than we are now happy-019.gif

That's definitely worth remembering.
    Save_Dosh wrote: »
    Justamum i use instant mash sometimes and it really tastes like real potatoes, if you put in butter, pepper etc. I don't use smash, as i really thought it had a fake taste (going back to being a kid, its probably changed). I really like tesk value, but they swapped it for oak lane on a home delivery and its not as nice.

I haven't had instant potato for many years. I think one night I might just have to mix up a packet and serve it with sausages and gravy and see what type of reception it gets - especially if I don't tell them beforehand what it is.
  • Justamum
    Options
    I know what I need for my emergency store cupboard - coffee and tea! I couldn't survive if I ran out of either of them.
  • lilmisskitkat
    Options
    Justamum wrote: »
    We've got some tinned potatoes too. Not had those before I don't think. I've got some parboiled potatoes in the freezer - when I do roast potatoes I freeze the extra parboiled ones for future use. I do the same when potatoes are starting to 'go over' a bit.

We use tinned new potatoes for adding to Spanish Omelette for a super-quick meal. I often make a huge one, cut it into wedges and DD and DH take it cold in packed lunches.

Drain and slice the potatoes, fry in a little oil with some onions until they crisp up then add your eggs and cook until set.

K xx
  • I have also managed to roast tinned potatoes in the past when we were skinter than we are now happy-019.gif
    Well, i have only in the last few months started doing a roast on a Saturday. My children have always gone to their grandparents on a Sunday, so i never learnt to do roast. I did last Saturday use tinned potatoes, as i read somewhere they came out nice, but it was a total dsaster - I swear they were exploding in the oven and it was really dangerous, big loud bangs, i was scared to open the oven, they were Tesk value tinned, and they were like biting into fat balls. If anyone knows how to get these right, i would appreciate it, as i like the idea.
  • Ollycob
    Options

Milk is roughly the price of gas/petrol for us.

:eek: :(

For those who have limited space for their stores what would you say the absolute essentials are? My entire store has to fit into one cupboard!
  • Possession
    Possession Posts: 3,262 Forumite
    edited 12 September 2012 at 10:46AM
    Options
    Justamum I feel just the way you do about instant mash, my main memories of it are at primary school where I was finally given permission not to eat it as it made me sick! But Tesco value stuff is just about edible for me, and much more so for DH and the children who have no idea it isn't fresh. I mostly avoid it but I know I can eat it if I have to. DS eats my portion!

Ollycob for me the essentials are: flour, pasta, rice, tea, sugar, passata and tinned toms, baked beans, value rice pud and custard (DS's favourites!), noodles, instant mash, dried milk, a few Basics tinned soups, some tinned fruit, toilet rolls. I'm sure there's more I've forgotten but those are my core items.
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Options
    P, exactly my cupboard staples. For me I'd add bread flour, yeast, salt and stardrops cleaner
  • Justamum
    Options
    Possession wrote: »
    Justamum I feel just the way you do about instant mash, my main memories of it are at primary school where I was finally given permission not to eat it as it made me sick!

At my primary school we had lumpy mashed potato - it was made fresh though as the lumps were usually the eyes which hadn't been dug out when they were peeling them. Yuck!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure