Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

Race For Life 2008!

Options

Comments

• isualive
    isualive Posts: 6,970 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Engadine wrote: »
    Good luck to everyone who is taking part in the Race for Life 2008. I did my first one last year, ended up walking it as my friend had back problems and could not run but we did it!

I am doing the race in memory of my aunt who passed away 18 months ago she was in her 80s but unfortunately had cancer 3 times in her lifetime. Her daughter and grandaughter have also been diagnosed with breast cancer so also doing the race from them they are such an inspiration.

:j Good luck to you too!:j If you have a fund raising link, post it on here!

My Nan & sister have both suffered from breast cancer. I never met my Nan as she died of the disease when my mum was a child. Cancer is so cruel!
    Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless. ~ Mother Teresa
  • finallydebtfree!!
    Options
    isualive wrote: »
    finallydebtfree!! Your blog is excellent. Technology is amazing. My eldest son is at Uni & next year he hopes to study in Europe. If he does he has promised to do a blog & a video diary. It's a lovely way to keep in touch!

:jThe fundraising links are now working:j

Thanks :o I started it because I wanted to keep track of how I managed to do it all.

I couldnt find a lot of detailed information on people that had done a similar thing. Thinking about it I really should have a read of it again as its been so long since I started it! Have added a new post today as well, sometimes it does feel like I ramble on a bit!! :o

I started using the blog for our original olympic challenge of on DFW but thought it would be useful in my fundraising adventure!

(sorry feels like I have hijacked your thread, lets get back to Race for Life! :))
    finally debt free and want to keep it that way!!
  • isualive
    Options
    No you haven't hijacked it!

At the end of the day, it's still fundraising!

Well done on the swimming, you are doing well, I must start again soon!
    Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless. ~ Mother Teresa
  • Engadine
    Engadine Posts: 1,347 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    isualive wrote: »
    :j Good luck to you too!:j If you have a fund raising link, post it on here!

My Nan & sister have both suffered from breast cancer. I never met my Nan as she died of the disease when my mum was a child. Cancer is so cruel!

Thanks isualive, I've now posted my link.

You are so right, cancer is so cruel, my uncle also suffered from cancer, I never met him as he died about 10 years before I was born.

Every little bit that everyone raises can help prevent and treat this terrible disease
    :j Debt free since 31/01/08:j

• finallydebtfree!!
    Options
    I am hoping with all the training I am doing for the NAS trek I will be fit enough to easily run the 5km for the Race for Life! :)
    finally debt free and want to keep it that way!!
  • cnoelj
    cnoelj Posts: 29,218 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Kirsty for some reason I have only just seen this thread.

Yes of course I will be sponsoring you - after pay day!

As you know cancer charities are close to my heart after losing my dad and now my mum is awaiting the results of tests.

It is exhilerating running in an organised event with lots of other people. I hope you enjoy the experience.

Good luck with your fund raising and training. If I can give you any support or training tips let me know. I may not be the greatest runner ever but I have been running all my life so if there is anything I can pass on I am pleased to help.

Are you familiar with the DFW Running Club thread which has been going for quite a while now. It is very supportive of people of all abilities who either run, would like to run or just generally maintain fitness.
    “The primary cause of unhappiness is never the situation but your thoughts about it.” Eckhart Tolle
  • Sue-UU
    Sue-UU Posts: 9,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks for your reply Sue, I have put my NAS justgiving page in my profile, will see about putting my race for life one in there too :)

Good luck Engadine :)

isualive wrote:
    Thanks Sue-UU for your reply!

You're both so welcome! Your blog made fascinating reading K, I hope you have a marvellous time and will feel so proud to have done so much for so many by the time you arrive home again! Makes me puff just writing about it! ;)

All the best both of you, Sue.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 001 My Totals = 08 = £163.95 09 = £315.78 10 = £518.80 11 = £481.87 12 = £694.53 13 = £1200.20! 14 = £881 15 = £839.21 16 = £870.48 17 = £871.52 18 = £800.00 19 = £851.022021=£820.26[/SizeGrand Totals of all members (2008 uncounted) 2009 = £32.154.32! 2010 = £37.581.47! 2011 = £42.474.34! 2012 = £49.759.46! 2013 = £50.642.78! 2014 = £61.367.88!! 2015 = £52.852.06! 2016 = £52, 002.40!! 2017 = £50,456.23!! 2018 = £47, 815.88! 2019 = £38.538.37!!!! :j
  • isualive
    Options
    Thanks Chris for your kind words, they mean alot & fingers crossed for your Mums results.:grouphug:

My FIL is having Chemo to improve the quality of his life, he has bowel cancer, but they have said his time will come "Sooner, rather than later."

When he had his Chemo on Monday the Macmillan Suite was so busy, some patients were even standing, including my FIL! There is even a Father & Son having chemo.

My FIL lost his own father 6yrs ago to Bowel Cancer. He has eight siblings, that are all in the process of being tested.

My DH is putting the test off. His brother & sister are also doing the same. They are all classed as high risk as their Father & Grandpa both suffered with the disease.

Chris I can't find the thread that you mentioned: DFW Running Club thread. I've looked & looked for it!

The general plan is to improve my all round fitness. Before my FIL's diagnosis, I was swimming twice a week, 40 lengths in 40 minutes. I always felt so good afterwards.

The motivation is coming back, & I need to shift 1/2 a stone in weight.:D

In the past I've abseiled for charity down the Avon Gorge, & what a buzz that was.

I'm now planning to do the Race For Life every year.
  • cnoelj
    cnoelj Posts: 29,218 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I am going to try and put in the link Kirsty.

I always foget how to do it and have to go through the instructions again - so it may take some time!
    “The primary cause of unhappiness is never the situation but your thoughts about it.” Eckhart Tolle
  • isualive
    Options
    Thanks Chris!:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure