How much have you saved?

Options

Comments

• finlay
    finlay Posts: 378 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Saved a massive £200 on my building insurance last night! Martin is The Man!!!
    Snootchie Bootchies!
  • Several thousand pounds. changed electric, gas, water, phone, credit cards, loans, travel insurance, car insurance, mortgages, where i buy stuff from,....just about everything. takes me 10 mins of effort once a week.
  • Martinslovechild
    Options
    Time for an update
    Where do I start ?

Ah yes - the dreaded mortgage.  After (quickly) coming to the conclusion that I want this hanging around my neck only for as short a time as possible, I looked into changing to a different lender with flexible terms and setting up regular overpayments.  Result - interest saving of £15664.28 and mortgage reduced by 8 years  :).
    Actually, although the overpayments have been going great over the last 3 years, we've also made full use of stoozing and our mortgage interest now bubbles around the zero mark. Thus, according to my new calcs, the total savings here have now increased to £46890.08. By the way, this only takes account of current stoozing activity (i.e. on the go) and not future (i.e. unguaranteed) activity, so as long as there's stoozing, the savings will actually increase!!
    My wife then decided to purchase a new car.  Take out a loan ?  No thanks !  Instead, we put the whole amount of £16,500 across three 0% credit cards.  Result - interest saving of £3526.28 over 5 years :P.
    In fact, another 12 payments and the car will be paid off. The only interest we've paid is approx £60 which was during the first month when we were waiting for the cards to arrive.
    I then transferred my own car loan onto a 0% card too (had to go via Egg as it was in a personal loan account and Egg allows transfers from loans & overdrafts - nifty !!).  Result - interest saving of £1,011.59 over 3 years  8).
    Now fully paid off. Result!!! The amount I used to pay on my car has been going into the mortgage instead!!
    Then I started looking at the phone bill.  Even switching from BT's standard package to BT Together Option 1 has generated savings of about £120 per year  :-*.
    Not content with sitting still, I swapped this again to One-Tel. Further savings of £60 per year.
    I keep two credit cards which I pay off in full each month that offer me 1% cashback - FREE MONEY !!!  As I work away a lot on business and put ALL my personal spend on these cards, this nets me approximately £360 per year  ;D.
    Ah, the dreaded cashback has gone down since most of the 1% cards have disappeared. Currently using a More Than at 0.8% but not working away quite as much, therefore cashback reduced to £120 per year.
    Total Savings (so far) = £23642.15.
    Mainly thanks to stoozing into my flexi mortgage, this has now increased to £54687.95
    Just want to say thanks Martin for fighting such a good cause  ::).
    And Why Not...??

So - I've saved over £54000 because of this site.

Am I happy?

Who wouldn't be?

:D:D:D:D
    Mortgage Feb 2001 - £129,000
    Mortgage July 2007 - £0
    Original Mortgage Termination Date - Nov 2018
    Mortgage Interest saved - £63790.60
    ISA Profit since Jan 1st 2015 - 98.2% (updated 1 Dec 2020)
  • EssexBoy_3
    Options
    ;D :D;) 8) ::) :)

Firstly, let me point out that NOT ALL SAVINGS ARE FINANCIAL!!. The biggest savings I have made are in 'time' that I can now spend with my Wife and children (I have been running 2 small business's on top of a full time job - My life has been spent thinking 'if we don't have enough money I can always earn some more!' - One business is now closed and the other is a hobby with me in control of how much work I take on). This is worth more than any financial gain (Not that I haven't made some of that as well!!). Thanks to everyone for this site's success and to Martin for starting it and writing that incredible book - YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW MUCH YOU HAVE CHANGED MY LIFE.

Now for what you wanted to hear:

Not been at this long but I have made some significant 'wise moves' already. Using Martin's superb book in conjunction with the website I am currently going through the process of switching mortgage that will save me around £150pm.

I have kept my CC's on 0% for the last couple of years anyway and have reduced the debt considerably. However, I now only pay the minumum payment each month and put the 'overpayment' into a high interest savings account and will pay this lump off the balance when I do a balance transfer - I'm actually earning money on the debt I have! Incredible!

Through Life Assurance, building & contents insurances, car insurance and purchases (like a brilliant unputdownable book called The Money Diet - bought from Play for £4.99 with free P&P) I have, so far, reduced my monthly outgoings by£184pm (This is without the mortgage).

I am planning some more moves for the new year (including getting a cashback CC to pay for our monthly bills, shopping etc.) but, in the meantime, I want to settle down (for the first time in years!) and spend some real quality time with my kids now that I don't have so much work to do.

So bring on the paints, pencils and sticky-back plastic. This EssexBoy is going to party for a change!!!

Oh, and, here's one I made earlier!!!
  • Bokken_2
    Bokken_2 Posts: 657 Forumite
    Options
    ;D
    well,I was sent the web page by my sister on the 8/11/04 and since then have saved approx £6589.80!!
    Most excellent month. I am totally absorbed and have gained the confidence to tackle the mortgage and the big loans.
    I started off with computer ink for my Epsom at £60 for black and colour there was no ink in the printer.I searched Martins site and saved £360 over the next two years.
    I have moved the credit car to Texaco and saved a projected £5472 over the life of the debt.
    I have taken out a O% over 12ths with Sainsburys,they sent the wrong card i complainted and gained a extra month interest free!
    Have bought the car ,House ,contents Insurance on the Sainsburys Card saving a lot on the Direct debit charges and I have 13months to pay it off,we also added a washer to that.
    Got two free flight tickets to one of eight capitals in Europe from CD WOW for buying a DVD over £18!
    Have moved the Gas Electric and havibg a water meter installed saving over £450.
    arranged an overdraft with the bank and got free Europe wide car recovery saved £144 and cancelled the AA! very satisfied.
    saving £127 per year on fuel by buying it at Sainsburys,by buying £50 in store you get a extra 5pence off per litre .I have used two trolleys to buy our weekly shop of £100 and by dividing it into two lots at the checkout you get two reciepts and hence two lots of 5p off per litre .I love Mr Sainsburys he is giving me about (with necter points) 7p of the standard 81p litre of fuel,I save about £12 a month cos I have two trollys.
    I am sur there is other stuff but I can't recall it all.
    Thanks Martin.
    PS in a year or two we won't have any debts,magic!!
  • Janeryan
    Janeryan Posts: 273 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm not sure how much I've saved as I only joined in the summer and didn't think to record it anywhere.

From January I plan to make a note every time this site saves me money and out the equivilant amount away in a savings account(even if it's only pennies) the same if I do BOGOF at the shops.

That way I will see that it's all worthwhile and save money at the same time.

I do know that we have saved £500.00 worth of interest over 6 months by having an offset mortgage and offsetting our savings plus £4000.00 from Mint but how much of that is just don@t to the £4000 I don't know.

Am getting braver now and am about to SBT £10000 into offset account so that should make a BIG difference!!!

I'll keep you all posted.

Still got a long way to go to match Martins Love Child though!!LOL
    Jan 2012 grocery spend £19.20
    2012 total budget is ????
  • Martinslovechild
    Options
    Still got a long way to go to match Martins Love Child though!! LOL
    Hey! Well Done Janeryan!

Keep it Up. Like you, I started small and gradually built my savings up. I maintain a spreadsheet with my mortgage savings which keeps me totally focussed on minimising mortgage interest and maximising savings wherever I can.

Good Luck!!
    Mortgage July 2007 - £0
  • davidvernon
    Options
    Hi Martin

I am a subscriber to your newsletter and would like to thank you, firstly for making the world of finance less of a 'black art', and secondly, for helping people like myself find their feet after almost drowning in a sea of debt.

Why? Well...

I came out of university £18000 in debt (not unusual for a four year course in London) and managed to secure myself a relatively well paid job. I was, however, extremely poor at managing my money and thought of the 'available credit' on credit cards as my own money for spending. I rented a nice house, bought a nice car, had a nice holiday, bought some well-needed clothes and generally enjoyed life. At one point I even changed bank account (no more credit available from who I was with at the time) and fell for that awful 'consolidation loan' scam. At the time I could only see the reduced monthly repayments - what woe. I have since learned about net debt increase when you do this.

It came to a head one day when I found myself taking out cash on a credit card - tut tut I hear you say, but wait, it gets worse - to pay the bill for another credit card!! Thankfully I stopped myself and sought some help. I got in touch with the local Citizens Advice Bureau. That's where things started to get better. They contacted all the people I owed money to (and there were quite a few) and arranged for interest to be stopped on all outstanding money (at this point about £35000) while things were being resolved. They then detailed all my incomings (ok - just my salary) and outgoings (that took a while). After this they determined what money I had left over each month and divided it up between the creditors in proportion to the amount I owed. Without exception, my creditors accepted the new, revised, much lower repayments. I set up standing orders to each of them and honoured each payment as it became due. During this time I lived on £40 per week - hardship when compared to what I had spent in a week. Several defaults were placed on my credit record but no bankruptcy was declared, and no CCJ's either. Living on this amount of money was not easy for me as it meant careful budgeting, moving into cheaper rented property, no holidays, declining invitations to social events, shopping for only what I really needed, recycling things wherever possible, and shopping for own-brand groceries.

Four years later I was debt free!!! The feeling of looking at my payslip that month and realising it was all mine - well, you can imagine the emotions.

Since that time, I have really stayed on top of my money - as they say - once bitten, twice shy. I have saved into a 'cushion' account, saved into a 'holidays and presents' account and also saved into a 'deposit for house' account - each of which has been moved with your recommendations for best savings accounts. I have had no cause for going into debt, and have once again been able to enjoy my life to the full. The defaults have been cleared from my credit record too.

I then subscribed to your newsletter (a colleague put me on to it) and started to take some of your advice. As I'm sure you understand, I found it difficult to go for the 'Super Balance Transfer' tip, but have successfully taken the 'best cashback card tip' for use with business expenses (Accucard).

The reason I am posting this message today is because today is the day I have realised one of my dreams - I have taken possession of the keys to my new house.

Certainly, I will be keeping up to speed with the 'Best Buy Utilities', 'Best Buy Home Phone Providers', 'Best Buy House Insurance' and all the other fabulous tips you send through. Your advice will always be welcomed and I'll certainly make sure any children I may have in the future will be well versed in the merits of managing their money.

Thank You Martin
    Please keep up the sterling work.

Sincere Regards
    'StillWorking'
    stay lucky!
    Steve.
  • Martinslovechild
    Options
    That's a fantastic story, StillWorking.

Very well done on keeping it together through the 4 years and sticking to your goal.

Enjoy your new house!! Mortgages are a big drain on a salary but I tend to look at mine the way you've looked at your debt - debt. However, 4 hard years so far and now just 35 more payments to go - it will then finally be paid off...

:D
    Mortgage July 2007 - £0
  • Ebenezer_Screwj
    Options
    Martin, The biggest help you have been to me is with the Savings Fountain, I have followed it to the letter and have had a bumper year of interest. You are so right to stress the importance of maximising tax breaks and monitoring interest rates. I have also cut household expenses to the bone by changing providers and I use 18866 for every telephone call out of this house and also insist that companies with non-geographic phone numbers call me straight back. Finally I have moved all my current account banking away from a certain high street bank and manage all my financial business on-line.
    Thank you very much for all your help and I wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy, Prosperous and Money-Saving 2005 !
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure