How much have you saved?

Options

Comments

• lynnemcf
    lynnemcf Posts: 1,233 Forumite
    Options
    I paid off my mortgage years ago, and have no loans or credit cards, but I have saved money on car insurance and house insurance thanks to you Martin. My greatest saving has been by buying a coffee maker, found in "quick, grab it while you can" reduced from £130 to £30. With posh coffees costing £2 at least, I can satisfy my cappuchino cravings at home for pennies. Also impresses the neighbours when they pop round!
  • Janeryan
    Janeryan Posts: 273 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm not sure how much I've saved as I only joined in the summer and didn't think to record it anywhere.

From January I plan to make a note every time this site saves me money and out the equivilant amount away in a savings account(even if it's only pennies) the same if I do BOGOF at the shops.

That way I will see that it's all worthwhile and save money at the same time.

I do know that we have saved £500.00 worth of interest over 6 months by having an offset mortgage and offsetting our savings plus £4000.00 from Mint but how much of that is just don@t to the £4000 I don't know.

Am getting braver now and am about to SBT £10000 into offset account so that should make a BIG difference!!!

I'll keep you all posted.

Still got a long way to go to match Martins Love Child though!!LOL

Just to update you

Balance transfers all complete & now have enough in offset to cover whole mortgage so all payments should be reducing the debt.

Saved £10.87 in Sainsburys today by doing multibuys, BOGOFs & buying reduced items plus £1.00 on wrapping aper for next Christmas.

In view of the tragic events of Boxing Day I intend to donate all my savings of this nature for the forseeable future to the DEC appeal.
    Jan 2012 grocery spend £19.20
    2012 total budget is ????
  • suncika
    suncika Posts: 25 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,
    I have recently had a problem with a faulty receiver.I phoned their Technical Support and they quoted me £65 for an engineer to come and fix the problem.
    Following many postings on this site about Sky service,I decided to threat with a cancellation of the service,as I have been using them for 3 years.Their Customer Department offered me a free servicing and supplied me with a brand new receiver.
    Thank you for all useful advices! :)
  • sce37
    sce37 Posts: 130 Forumite
    Options
    Have built up my credit cards to £10,000 and balance transferred to my mortgage savings account. Offsetting interest payments of 5.5%.

I have just moved gas/electric supplier saving a further £160 per year.

Followed the store cupboard challenge in money saving old style and cut my monthly food bill by half in January (saved around £400). I think I spend to much here anyway.

Got rid of contract mobile for myself and daughters and switched to O2 with the free sim cards/texts advertised on MSE. Hardly spend anything at all now. Saving around £60 a month for all three of us.
    I say what I like, I like what I say!
  • Ticklemouse
    Ticklemouse Posts: 5,030 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've always tried to be a money saver (shopping around, buying bogofs etc), but this site has saved me so much more and I've still got things to try. I haven't kept a running total but this is what I have done so far -

Gas/Elec - saved £175
    Phone - combination of talktalk and 18866. Saved £15-20 pcm
    Mobile - jazzy phone, 200 mins/30 texts for £15 pcm
    Sky - on 2nd lot of discounted rates
    Magazines - buy on 3 for £1, with free gifts. Have ample free shampoo/conditioner, shower gels, swim bags now
    Boots Advantage card - adjusted buying techniques and gained extra £200 of points
    0% credit card for small debt, with monthly S/O to cover min payment
    Opened 7% Abbey account today - Was offered and opened current account which will pay me £40 cash.
    Several cheapy flights for MIL/to visit MIL
    Eurotunnel ticket for this summer = £98 instead of £298
    Applied for and received lots of freebies
    Car Insurance - checked via this site and I already had cheapest, but saved me time and hassle.
    Printer cartridges - found the cheapest so a few pounds there.
    Use lots of moneysaving old style tips fpr cleaning and cooking

Still to do-

House insurance (due April)
    Mr TM's contact lenses
    Open whatever credit cards/bank account I can for financial gain only

I'm sure there's more, but big, big, thanks to Martin, the team and all MSEers. I'll continue - my aim is to turn Mr TM into an MSEer (this could be difficult though) I have already converted some of my friends and I shall keep spreading the word.
  • elliehenny777
    Options
    Thanks to you Martin i have saved at least £80 on my house and contents policy with Royal & Sun Alliance. I followed your advice in money saver tips email and checked out the Halifax, when comparing it with my cover - my current policy is due for renewal - I discovered that there were 8 errors on the policy statement: that my husband was single, that our house was 43 years old, it is 14, no smoke alarms and so the list goes on. When ringing to complain we got very curt reply "It's up to you to check that details are correct it's not our fault." No apology, for what was their fault, whoever inputted the details was obviously not doing their job correctly. We do not know how much we have overpaid in latter years but quite a lot, i'm sure. My husband never checks details and is careless with money but he should have noticed. Wish he had your attitude Martin, i'd be rich!

Do we have any redress? I feel so angry about this, we are pensioners and can ill afford to throw money away.
  • Smudge32
    Smudge32 Posts: 373 Forumite
    Options
    Tricky to tell as money has been saved from all angles.

Biggest saving has been on car insurance and breakdown cover - £140 the day after discovering the website. Since then, endless bits from shops, online ****ups and hints. I've also started writing letters to companies saying how great their products are and recently got vouchers from a couple.

The forum is fantastic. I recently tracked down an item halfway across the country in the Argos sale, got it reserved by one member and am in the process of having it sent to by another, all done on trust. Stunning!

Thank you Martin!!!
  • Pat__3
    Pat__3 Posts: 2,880 Forumite
    Options
    Please keep posting the stories, they are an inspiration to others and me.:)

I really enjoy reading these. Thank You:)
  • roaming_rhino
    Options
    Hi

since discovering this site about 6 months ago I have saved a small fortune on international calls , maybe as much as £300-£500 per month on calls alone compared to BT tariffs

also now transfered all our debt on 0% interest cards which will save us
    at least £1500 this year

that info alone is worth a mint to us . WE have bought items which have been on offer at certain times and probably saved about £500 + there too

We have a team of over 400 people , and all of them have been made aware of this wonderful money saving or life saving website

keep it up guys , the world will be a happier place
    cheers Rhino
    Help enough people get what they want and you will automatically get what you want
  • jo_b_2
    jo_b_2 Posts: 7,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Pat_ wrote:
    Please keep posting the stories, they are an inspiration to others and me.:)

I really enjoy reading these. Thank You:)

I love this board as well. One of my favourite places for inspiration. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure