How much have you saved?

Options

Comments

• loan8r
    loan8r Posts: 54 Forumite
    Options
    I have been on the mortgage board and got some excellent advice there, Thank you.
    phoned Bristol and West again and asked a few questions about the offer they made to me I am now going to stay with them (the penaltys and fees for moving were more than I would have saved) and they are moving me to a flexible repayment tracker loan for the rest of the life of the mortgage this alone will drop my repayments by £25 ish pcm.
    and it gives me the option to pay off lump sums as and when I can afford to thereby saving me even more money :D .
    Well happy with the result going to give it a big push over the next 3 - 5 years and get it nailed !

Cheers, M.
  • shaymenRup
    shaymenRup Posts: 198 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    In about 12 months

Saved 100GBP on wifes car insurance
    Saved 100GBP on gas/elec bills
    Earned 250GBP in interest having 11000GBP from credit cards in a savings account for last 9 months
    Just switched my mortgage to Mansfield BS - saving over 150GBP per month
    Saved a fortune (at least 30GBP a month) on international calls.
    I could go on, but I'm no expert I just followed your lead.

Well done Martin
  • zakony
    zakony Posts: 172 Forumite
    Options
    about 4 months, I spent three times more than before i kew the site, it is because all of these bargains
    Life should not be taken seriously, as no one would get out alive
  • welnik
    welnik Posts: 541 Forumite
    Options
    Well, where do I start..........................

1. Changed my contents insurance to get more benefits, free legal cover and stuff i didnt get before and saved £60.00
    2. Ditched my £15.00 telewest telephone deal and now using 18866.com. Saving at least £10.00 per month.
    3. Switched gas an electric - £100 per year plus I got £10 cashback for doing so!
    4. Credit card 0%. Have thousands invested..... Making about £1000 a year in interest off ISAs etc.
    5. Rpoints.com - purchasing as much of my online stuff through this site. Made £100 so far.

This is just what I can think off now. Fabulous site which I keep recommending to my friends.
    Matched betting proceeds so far: £505.00
  • moggins
    moggins Posts: 5,190 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    We've only been doing it for a month so it's hard to calculate a final figure, we want to switch gas and electric suppliers being on monthly DD and the end of the winter we are a bit in debt so I will have to wait for the summer.

However thanks to me working out that by next payday we will actually have £450 left in the bank instead of nothing the other half has finally seen the light and the benefit! He's not moaning anymore and has given me a free hand with the finances.

We've even got a savings account set up, never had one before, it might only have £20 in it so far but that's £20 more than we've ever saved before.
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
  • oueyouey
    oueyouey Posts: 103 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Managed to save just under £400 a year from doing a few hours research in the internet. Saved £134.52 per year on Mortgage Payment Protector, £85.80 per year on level term assurance and will save £177.60 per year switching buildings and contents insurance to Norwich Union once i can get my payment accepted on their website. Has anyone else had any probs using the Norwich Union Website to pay? I rand up the help number but they said there isn't a problem and if i do it over the phone then i won't get the 25% discount
  • carl310166
    carl310166 Posts: 747 Forumite
    Options
    Since Jan 1st thanks to Martin and everyone who has advised me on this site,below are the approx yearly savings so far,

Switched from BG to powergen £60
    Overpayment refunded from BG £98
    Reduced line rental from BT £42
    Overpayment refunded from BT £144
    Downgraded broadband £98
    Switched from Tesco phone to 18866 £156
    Switched from Tesco home ins to Norwich Union £82
    Switched from Barclays Additions to A&L current acc £144
    Interest gained at A&L £125
    Finished loan 15 months early saving interest £232
    Cutting back on groceries £1800 !
    Taking sandwiches to work £720
    Paying off Credit Card in full every month £720
    Trying to put 14k car loan on 0%
    cards at the moment would save me £2637

If i can pull off the last one,i will have saved and or gained £7093 this year !

Still got my car insurance to come in mid April,but unfortunately my wife put her foot down when it came to a water meter.

Then i can move onto the mortgage as i am tied in for a few years yet.
    Sponsored by Tesco Clubcard Points !!
  • ANB_2
    ANB_2 Posts: 27 Forumite
    Options
    I have saved a massive £201.91 on my home and contents insurance, having switched from Direct Line to New Home Insurance. (Renewal quote was £371.70).

The cover was also much, much better,when comparing like for like.

Thanks a bunch!!
    Charles J
  • Loadsabob
    Loadsabob Posts: 662 Forumite
    Options
    Little savings so far, but I'm really happy with them. I first saw the site a fortnight ago, and couldn't believe I'd just missed National Express discount posting on the vouchers board - I'd just been on a return trip with them from Cornwall to Oxford! Anyway, made sure to use it when booking tickets from Cornwall to Norwich (their cheaper fares don't apply to the journey I've planned, due to us going through an airport!), so saved £16.77 for the two of us with the 15% discount.

Then today, mid-order with Healthspan vitamins, and though "just perhaps..." - had a look at the vouchers board, and £3 off orders over £18, only posted today!

So, in a fortnight, £19.77 on things I was buying anyway...not bad!

I don't have a credit card balance - I only use it occasionally and pay off before interest gets added. But would certainly use them instead of small loans...

Still loads more to read here, so I expect to save a lot more!

Going to look for cheaper contents insurance, but I rent and have tennant's insurance at the moment...not sure whether my contents would be covered as a renter with all policies, but will look into that. Don't have a car, or contract mobile...still, I'm sure there's lots to save!
  • eels_2
    eels_2 Posts: 41 Forumite
    Options
    Here is an extract from an e-mail I sent to the Jeremy Vine Show last December.

Dear Jeremy,

I know Martin isn't on your show today but I thought you might like to hear how effective his tips can be. I received his regular e-mail newsletter today. Thanks to one of his tips I have just saved more than 25% on some food & drink shopping on the web, as below.

I shopped on the web site of a well known frozen food retailer.

My basket total was £41.67, this showed a saving of £18.17 because I had concentrated on buy one get one free offers etc.
    Delivery is free on orders over £40.
    I then applied a discount code from Martin's web site which took £10 off the total.
    Therefore, I will receive goods with a total list value of £59.84 delivered free to my door for only £31.67 (47% discount!!).

Needless to say I used my credit card which will award me points for a rival retailer and I won't pay for it until next year.

However, I must point out that I don't need it all yet but I can afford it, I do have a freezer & it will make the next couple of months shopping bills a lot lower.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure