How much have you saved?

Options
1151617181921»

Comments

• caroleann
    caroleann Posts: 212 Forumite
    Options
    I have calculaed that i have saved @ £1.180 thanks to this fantastic site and of course Martin who i listen to on Radio Two and the Richard Hammond show.
    For example, changed from British gas to scottish power, £261.00 a year saving, from British Gas electric to n power, £124.00 a year saving, budget car insurance to More than, £16 a month saving, petplan dog insurance to cant remember! £12.50 per month saving, internet from £17.99 with Telewest after a quick call to say i wasnt happy, reduced to £9.99, 2 credit card balance transfers £35 a month saved on interest then changed my home phone to first telecom, at least £200 a year savings, i'm still looking for other ways to save, thank you sooooo much. :j
  • littlemissmoney
    Options
    This site really is the best thing on the internet. Thank you SO much Martin.

Thanks to this site I have saved and made money in too many ways to mention here. I think I'm addicted :o

Thank you... you deserve an OBE or something for service to the public :T
    :p Proud to be a MoneySaver! :p
  • diddydi
    diddydi Posts: 617 Forumite
    Options
    Have switched to various 0% credit cards and advised my daughters to do the same saving them hundreds on store cards. Also took Martins advice on Sky and got my rental slashed to 50% for 3 months. :T
  • Opened a graduate account and wacked the interest free overdraft in an ISA.

how much is the overdraft and how much interest do u get..i could maybe do this?? can someone explain?
    Hi, my names katrina and I'm a spendaholic!? Trying to save!?! still havent managed it!! :o
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    how much is the overdraft and how much interest do u get..i could maybe do this?? can someone explain?

I think the poster has got an interest free overdraft, so she takes the money out and puts it in a higher paying savings account. in effect she is making money out of whats free. However, you have to remember that the bank can ask for the money to be paid back at any time so its unwise to tie it up just in case.

I dont know what account she has, but i think Alliance and Leicester has an interest free overdraft for 12 months (but dont quote me on it).

http://www.alliance-leicester.co.uk/currentaccounts/index.asp?page=home&ct=primarymenu

Cahoot gives you an £100 overdraw buffer.

http://www.cahoot.com/cahoot_products/cahoot_current_account/current_account.html

This money can be put into a instant access account for the fee free time specified and you can get interest on it.
  • martin71
    martin71 Posts: 22 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Savings for this year between myself & my wife:

Mortgage (Remortgaging) - £600
    Loan payments (Mortgage) - £2520
    Credit card interest (Balance transfer) - £640
    Home B&C Insurance (Comparison site plus cashback) - £200
    Mortgage insurance (comparison site) - £120
    Gas & Electric (est) (Comparison site) - £75
    Mobiles - (Onecompare.com - unbelievable savings!) - £675
    Phoning the in-laws in Spain (Dialaround) - £300
    Cheaper flight to Spain (MSE Flightchecker) - £60
    Car insurance (Confused.com) - £90

Total saved so far - £5,280

Besides this Currently on its way:

Opening a Barclays current a/c as notified on this site - £100

Planned for the rest of the year:

Open Alliance & Leicester account - Interest + bonus shd be - £250
    Change breakdown cover when expired - £100
    General tips on food & household shopping - £1000
    Cashback credit card - £150

So overall, we should be £6,880 better off. And most of that is repeatable next year!

And don't forget, all of this money we're all saving is from post-tax income. Since I'm the main earner, at the 40% tax rate this is the equivalent of over £11,000 pay rise! If my boss offered me that, I would jump for joy! So - I am jumping for joy!!

:j

To be honest, I would probably have remortgaged anyway, but the rest is pure MSE. So the £6 I spent on the book is definitely the best money I've ever spent!!

Martin
  • hotdiggerdy
    Options
    paid off loan £2,157.23 (Jan 06)
    paid off credit card £ 687.88 (Jan 06)
    changed from charged bank acount £ 84.00 per year (Jan 06)
    changed power company £ 120.00 per year (Sept 05)

total so far £3,049.11 :D

had about £2,000 in savings which i used to pay off debts thanks to Martins book and this site... yep it is stupid having savings AND debts Doh :mad:

the future is;

Change Mortgage in September (06)when discount and tie in period ends.

starting a mini cash isa (Halifax direct 5%) (March 06)

started with monthly premium bonds (Nov 05)

write and stick to shopping lists!

oh dear, should have done this ages ago, still finally on the road :T
    coming into the light......:dance:
  • Sunbunny
    Sunbunny Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    I've been browsing the site for ages and thought I would post my savings as I feel quite chuffed! The savings are for just this year and some will extend to next year as well.

£820 Mortgage (switched to 2 year fixed rate AND borrowed extra for conservatory - yes extravagant but we need the room!)

£200 Car Insurance (I am a staff member and was paying more for my insurance than a new internet customer!)

£71 House Insurance (ditto above)

£80 Quidco (for stuff I would have had anyway)

£45 Mobile (remembered to claim back the half price line rental!)

£100 Alliance & Leicester current accounts

£200 Phone/Internet (changed to Bulldog)

£125 RAC cover (have more than enough Tesco Clubpoints thanks to codes on Forum)

We are also stoozing and putting the extra cash into an A&L ISA paying 5.7% but don't know how much interest that will earn us yet.

I make that £1600+ already and I haven't looked at our life cover, hubby's car insurance (which I will do through Quidco if I can) and Sky (although I didn't have much luck when I asked them last time). I'm being more careful with grocery shopping, spending on my 16 month old son (so tempting!) and have stopped buying baby magazines as I think I know what I'm doing now. Oh..... and I'm also selling stuff on eBay.

I wouldn't have done this without Martin and everyone on the Forums so thanks very much!!!! :j
  • Keep_MaCash
    Options
    Hi Folks,

Just saved a whopping £400 on a breakdown recovery bill after my timing belt broke while on holiday with the family down south.

Thanks to joining Auto-Aid at a cost of £37 for the year, all my payments were refunded after 14 days, no hassle simply a cheque through the post.

Many thanks for the Advice on that value for money breakdown cover.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure