🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

How much have you saved?

Options

Comments

• tiger_-_lilly_4
    Options
    Well, as a newbie to this site, after seeing martins programe over xmas (isn't he Sexy!) :money: , i have only read a couple of articles, and the first one alone i saved 7.50 per month on our "LoveFilm's" and that was by trying to cancle my contract, and being offered a better deal, then where I going too> they offered the same package for 1/2 price!!! FANTASTIC START

I am working my way through the articles, and hope to save yet more money.

Thank you Martin, you'r doing a fantastic job, keep the hard work up. Emma xxxx
    "if you don't have the money, then dont buy it - save for it" :A
    credit cards and store cards are like chocolate, once hooked, never parted.
  • HappySad
    HappySad Posts: 2,021 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have saved over £400 this month!!!!!!!

>£300 from my car insurance & break down buy changing from Direct line to Shelia's Wheels
    £10 - two 4 one wipes
    £ 5 free online delivery @ Asda & £16 ordering organic herbs bulk buy from there.
    £31 Holland & Barrat bulk buy fish oils
    £36 pregnancy omega fish oil 3for2 @ Boots

I now have a 10% discount with Waitrose to spend.
    “…the ‘insatiability doctrine – we spend money we don’t have, on things we don’t need, to make impressions that don’t last, on people we don’t care about.” Professor Tim Jackson

“The best things in life is not things"
  • sashacat
    sashacat Posts: 821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have been on the site for about 2 weeks now and have saved about £700 like this
    renegotiated mobile contract, saved £174 right away (500 mins, 120 texts, free insurance, new phone and £90 credit, all for £25 per month)
    changed land line provider to onetel
    changed gas and electric...at least £118 saved ,probably more
    got pre paid prescription certificate...saved £62.80
    switched buildings insurance....saved £275.78
    and got £70 worth of free skin care stuff from boots with the time delay vouchers.....all from Martin's money tips
    ...and i have only just started
    oh, and have changed to one of the best buy banks...alliance and leicester...got recommened by daughter and recommended a friend so got £100 there...Martin should be knighted!
    Wombling £457.41
  • lyndapoyroo
    Options
    I have managed to save £100 on my car insurance by searching confused.com.

I have been using https://www.greasypalm.co.uk and have so far got £120 in cashback for things I would have bought anyway.

Rang NTL, we have digital TV with them. Got broadband for £11.49 per month for 1MB which, apparently is shortly due to be increasd to 10mb, not that it will help my computer. That will cut the cost of my dial up.

I regularly use the discount codes for online shopping and have probably saved about £40 there.
    Thank you very much everyone.
  • Hagrid
    Hagrid Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, My Missus told me about Martin and I have so far saved ...
    £960 per annum Mortgage
    £200 per annum switching Gas and electric
    £100 per annum switching Home & car Insurance
    £84 per annum changing a Bank account (which im changing again soon!)
    20% saving by changing my Phone supplier
    Completley changed the way I shop and save by clearing the food cupboards and freezers!
    Started to earn by selling unwanted stuff on Ebay, and am continually reading the Chat forums and Martins news letters for ideas!
    got £100 back from the post office for their best Insurance deals by the way, plus the £12 back from switching gas and electric too!
    Just got myself an Egg Card now so will transfer my Overdraft to that I expect, or open the Alliance and Leicester account and transfer my O/D to that, but what with my savings and some extra Overtime at work I will hopefully be O/D free by the end of the year and just have a Repayment mortgage left, and if I can add to the repayments to get that down, mores the better! Am I doing alright Martin??
  • gilly41
    gilly41 Posts: 909 Forumite
    Options
    Hi
    I found this site a couple of months ago and I cant believe how much I have saved so far- and I have only just begun.
    Cut food bill down from at least £60 a week for 2 people and 1 dog to £50 per week and hoping to reduce it further over the next few months
    saving £520 a year
    Rang NTL and told them I wasnt happy with their service- got a HUGE reduction.
    TV package reduced from £21.50 to £16.00 per month
    Internet reduced from £17.99 to £9.99 per month
    Telephone reduced from £18.00 to £9.50 per month PLUS a one off payment of £30(take off an outstanding bill)
    Therefore total savings over the year is £294
    Car insurance reduced from £318.60 to £194.44(with cashback)- went through the Post Office and got a £50 cashback- total saved is £124.16
    House and contents insurance reduced from £191.62 to £105.15(with cashback)-went through the post office and got a £50 cashback-total saved £86.47.
    Payment protection reduced from £15.80 to £9.80 per month saving £72.00 per year
    TOTAL SAVINGS SO FAR IN 2 MONTHS = £1244.13
    SO HAPPY!!!!!!
    Thanks to everyone for all the tips and a big thank you to Martin!
    xx
    Sealed pot challenge 7...my number is 2144.....started Nov 29th ....
  • gilly41
    gilly41 Posts: 909 Forumite
    Options
    Hi
    Forgot to add the switching of gas/electric saving me £135.00 per year plus a £12.50 cashback through the cashback site.
    This is included in my total!
    Sealed pot challenge 7...my number is 2144.....started Nov 29th ....
  • lyndapoyroo
    Options
    I have managed to save £100 on my car insurance by searching confused.com.

I have been using https://www.greasypalm.co.uk and have so far got £120 in cashback for things I would have bought anyway.

Rang NTL, we have digital TV with them. Got broadband for £11.49 per month for 1MB which, apparently is shortly due to be increasd to 10mb, not that it will help my computer. That will cut the cost of my dial up.

I regularly use the discount codes for online shopping and have probably saved about £40 there.
    Thank you very much everyone.

UPDATE
    :T Just called o2 for my PAC code. Currently paying £19 for 50 any network minutes and 50 texts but always go over this. They gave me 500 any network minutes and 200 texts for the same price plus a new Nokia phone 6230i.

As advised by Martin I have opened up an Alliance and Leicester account. Should save £144 plus overdraft charges (don't worry, I am trying to spend within my monthly salary). I will have to buy annual travel insurance but it should only cost about £60 for the family. Also get the £50 introduction payment. Just got to get my husband to open an account as well for another £100 between us.

Still waiting for information regarding my Barclays current account, another £100 there hopefully.

This is really FUN.
  • Trying_really_hard
    Options
    First post!

This site rocks :money:

£300 off my car insurance!!! Not bad as I am in the 17-25 'danger' age group

Opened a graduate account and wacked the interest free overdraft in an ISA.

Cancelled unused gym membership :rolleyes: and phone insurance saving £40 a month.

Not bad for a start - now just have my 12K student debt (grrr) to look at.
    How long til pay day? :eek:
    March Grocery Challenge - £69.54 / £300
  • polabear_2
    Options
    I have saved over £200 by switching my contents and buildings cover over to Liverpool and London ! I still cant find a cheaper quote.
    Switching my credit card to 0% apr to pay for the above over 12 monthly payments as apposed to 19% charged by L& L
    I now do this with all bills like car insurance where it is paid over 12 months, shove it on my card with 0% for 9!12 months and pay it back like a standing order, then at the end of the year get a new 0% apr card, cancell the old one and start again!!
    Changing my phone and internet from BT to NTL ! initial set up probs but ok now and saved me about £50 per quarter.
    Biggest saving thus far, booked my own holiday last Dec in canaries, booked flights and hotel and taxi myself (it was so easy) and for 1 week all inclusive in 5 star hotel it was £240 each!! We saved hundreds, and because of Martin we had a winter break which we have never had before, even did the insurance via Martins links, and saved a packet!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport