PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    kittie wrote: »
    I am under 4`11 now and have reached the stage of asking taller people to hand things down from shelves. I swear sainsburys have made their shelves taller.

I have been busy, house hunting and most of all researching potentials, have found many interesting `hidden` negatives that only locals know and discarded a lot of houses, got stressed though so am backing down now, will be seeing 2 on monday an hour from here and 1 tuesday, local old cottage, too open to burglers as sister points out. I need to feel safe. I will be relying on alerts after that, no more active looking

Food has been eratic, ok but bitty so I need to get back to looking after what I eat. Started with jumbo porridge, will make celery and cashew soup later and will eat a rm and veg for lunch. No veg box ordering this week, I have to catch up on myself, anyway purple sprouting is sprouting on the allotment. Fresh loaf made last night and I have goats cheese and tomatoes and peanut butter, so will make a sandwich of sorts for last meal
    The house hunting sounds very stressful kittie, I think it's sensible to give yourself a break from actively looking. You never know, you might get an alert about the one that will be perfect for you:).
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Breakfast was half a bread roll toasted, topped with sausages and a poached egg. Splash of the brown stuff and a black coffee. :)
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,229 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I think my tum's on the mend, not perfect but OKish. I only had a 2 egg omelette for food yesterday, mainly stuck to tea & Netflix. Now I just need to shift my chronic Man 'flu and I'm back to what counts as normal

Breakfast was a pot of tea
    I think I will follow PN's lead and just have a mug of cold & sniffles lemon flavour powder for lunch

Dinner, nothing planned. May skip it because food has lost it's appeal for the moment.

I may have mid afternoon cake / scone because I'm expecting to go out later with the younger Grandchildren to a stately pile with garden centre, cafe & a maze near here, and they want to go in the maze. However it is tipping down so that may not happen
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,372 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I'm 5 foot 6 and have only been single for a few months since I was 16 years old, which was 1992. I used to have quite a nice figure back then, slim but with curves, oh, how things change!:rotfl:

I had some leftover baked tofu and rice cakes for breakfast with a cup of tea.

I'm going to take a walk to the shop and then make a veggie roast dinner later today. I keep forgetting to buy GF gravy and GF stuffing, so annoying!:p
  • PasturesNew
    edited 8 April 2018 at 3:08PM
    Options
    I stuck a chicken curry on some hours ago. A pouch of paste I was gifted, some frozen chicken breasts, bits and bobs of veg, can of coconut milk. It's probably got 2-3 hours to go.

In a perfect world it'd have onions in it, but I have no onions and it's raining, so it'd be nuts to go out in the rain just to buy a bag of onions....

Not sure why I made it really, it was a random whim of using up a lurking pouch of curry paste....
  • moneyonmymindsam
    Options
    Happy Sunday afternoon all.:j

Catching up on the thread for some inspiration for food.

Have had guests so Been eating well, Today Back to Hula Hoops for breakfast :o

Might steal PN idea of sausage and egg ;)

Have a lot of use ups in the fridge so today will be interesting.

5 left over eggs go out of date tomorrow so I guess I may eat them or boil them. Will make some batter with a couple I think.
    Grocery challenge Feb £107/£100-epic fail due to cake and biscuits
    🌟
  • PasturesNew
    edited 8 April 2018 at 3:09PM
    Options
    My curry's disgusting. I've added in a 2nd pouch of the stuff to try to raise the flavour a bit and added a sprinkling of curry powder, but there's something lacking there.... probably the worst curry I've ever tasted. It's just tasteless, yet peculiar. It's Pataks. Won't bother with that one again - they were "gifted" to me, so glad I didn't waste money on them.

Maybe two pouches will raise its taste a bit... have to see in an hour or so.

Trouble is, I have to eat it .... all 4-5 portions of it ... as there's Zero Waste here, so I do have to find some way to make it edible.... 4-5x over.

The pouch required a tin of coconut milk and the tin of coconut milk was a larger quantity than the pouch asked for, but I didn't want to freeze a portion of leftovers.... so maybe the strangeness is "coconut milk overload" and that 2nd pouch will fix it.

I don't think I'll buy coconut milk in a tin again .... I don't really think it's an ingredient I like. I'm not one for creamy textures ... and I don't buy cream. I think what I've made is just too creamy .... *fingers crossed for 2nd pouch of curry paste*
  • wort
    wort Posts: 1,676 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Feeling pleased with myself! Whilst prepping tea, roast beef out of freezer already cooked with gravy from a previous Sunday, I've chopped up a butternut squash,and roasted it , I'm going g to make a squash curry with it, so I've saut! onions with cumin garlic and ginger, added pataks paste,tinned tomatoes, a fresh pepper, and a few veg out of freezer, last bit of sweet potato ,a few peas and green beans and spinach. I will top with fresh coriander when ready ti serve.

I've also done extra potatoes which will be roasted to use the last bit of spicy pasta sauce that's open, for tea tomorrow, will put cheese on top and possibly cook a piece of chicken with it.
    The curry will be for Tuesday with lo going in freezer.

Also made some scones to use up the cream .:j

This morning I lightened my hair using some professional colours, a friend from work who does mobile hairdressing got for me. I'm hoping it will save me some money. I've coloured my own for years using browns or reds. But decided to go blonde to blend the grey in!!!!
    The hairdresser cut it on Friday, it short shaved to a no 2 at the back and sides, with messy layers on top.i was going to add highlights ,my sister was coming tomorrow to help, but decided it looks nice as it is for the moment, I will need her help though as I think I missed a patch at the back.!!:eek: no problem as I can redo with her help in the morning.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,132 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    5 left over eggs go out of date tomorrow so I guess I may eat them or boil them. Will make some batter with a couple I think.

They should last a while longer in the fridge just do the float test before you eat them

Quiet weekend for me, my sister and nephew popped round last night, he's trying to help with persuading the cat that not all men are bad.

Spent 30 mins with my elderly neighbour this morning going over the new bin collection details with him, I'm still not convince he understands the changes. He's too independent to let me or any other neighbour put his bins out so I'll just have to keep an eye out to make sure he's getting it right.

Just off to make the hairy bikers sausage and bean casserole, even halved this is enough for a coupled of lunches and to freeze some. Plan dinner tonight is hake with salsa verde, new potatoes and veg. Lunch was pate on toast.

I would like to say Ive been productive today but that would be lying :rotfl: it's 4.30pm and I've spent the day pottering I would have liked to have done some gardening but it's been too wet and I cba to do housework
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • geminilady
    geminilady Posts: 1,922 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 8 April 2018 at 4:40PM
    Options
    Lurker popping in to say to moneyonmymindsam that the eggs should keep much longer than the sell by date so no rush to use them up
    crossposted with Brambling lol people waste lots of food that is perfectly good to eat
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback