Opinions on Aberdeen!!

Options
Needing some advice please! I've been asked to relocate to Aberdeen from Edinburgh but I've never been and I have to decide by Friday - can anyone give me an idea what its like to live there? How does it compare to Edinburgh in terms of things like going out, things to do for young kids, shopping etc

Or should I avoid it like the plague:p
Number 86 - Stole a car from a one legged woman... I'm just trying to be a better person

Comments

• Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,834 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Aberdeen is a great place to live with wonderful parks and a fantastic beach. Kids in particular would have lots of places to go. There is a wide variety of shops much the same as Edinburgh and the traffic is no-where near as bad as central Edinburgh! I'm sure you would like it.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • grunnie
    grunnie Posts: 1,789 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just off tomorrow for 4 days holiday in Aberdeen. 2 of my sons live there so they can share me in between shopping trips. Its a great place to stay.:j
  • twink
    twink Posts: 3,827 Forumite
    Options
    stayed in aberdeen when i was younger, think you would like it there
  • Katyag
    Katyag Posts: 1,217 Forumite
    Options
    Lived here all my life and i love it! Mind you it seems to be riddled with the flu just now! Feel awful! :(:cry:
    Bringing up 2 handsome boys and 1 gorgeous girl the MSE way!
    Joseph born 19th December 2001
    Matthew born 8th August 2007
    Tara born 23rd January 2011
  • dwight-van-man
    Options
    Thanks for all the positive info! I've managed to get some time off to go up for a flying visit, so just need to find a hotel for tomorrow night now...
    Number 86 - Stole a car from a one legged woman... I'm just trying to be a better person
  • CarolnMalky
    CarolnMalky Posts: 14,254 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I married an Aberdonian, so its our second home, I love it and we are considering moving there in the future.

Good luck with your decision.
    If you obey all the rules...you miss all the fun!! Katherine Hepburn
  • ljw2701
    ljw2701 Posts: 169 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I was brought up in Aberdeenshire and went to University in Aberdeen and can recommend it as a place to stay. I moved to Edinburgh after graduation and if I hadn't met my now husband would probably have hotfooted it back there long ago!! It is a much more "manageable" size than Edinburgh though like any city has "good" and "bad" areas. I stayed in Rosemount for a time which would probably be comparable to Morningside/Bruntsfield - a really nice area! (All this talk of Aberdeen is making me homesick!!)
  • fluffynit
    fluffynit Posts: 11,339 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Lived in Aberdeen for four years, now live in Edinburgh. Would say Aberdeen has everything you need, the same as Edinburgh, just on a smaller scale.

Mind you, you canna beat an Aberdeen Fish Supper!

fluffynit
  • ziggy2004
    Options
    I lived in Aberdeen for 2 years and have now been living just north of aberdeen for the last 4 years I really like this area there is lots to do for kids.

hope you are having a good time exploring Aberdeen today

X Anne
  • dwight-van-man
    Options
    Many thanks for the advice! Did a whistle stop tour today - nearly froze but liked what little we had a chance to see! Pretty much decided - just got to check out house prices first.....

Fluffynit - do you get broon sauce in Aberdeen chippies, or is is salt n vinegar? This may well be the deciding factor ;o)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure