PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond!

Options

Comments

• VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    dolly84 wrote: »
    Yesterday I got a brand new pair of Cath Kidston oven gloves, the traditional style (one long piece with two hand holes) in red floral for £2.99, a lovely duck egg blue recipe tin with metal dividers and name tags for £1.25. DH got an Old Guys Rule t shirt for £2.59, and DD got the compete works of Jane Austen for 99p.
    Am liking the sound of this! I got similar a few weeks ago in hardback for £1, couldn't resist although I have the complete collection from my first visit to Bath (had to be done!) many moons ago. I thought it would make a lovely gift for my little niece when the time comes.

Yesterday was slim pickings for bargains but I ended up with 6 books for £2.50. 2 were Man Booker shortlisted (always an incentive for me!); one was endorsed by Naomi Klein, one by the journalist Alan Johnston about his kidnapping, a BN book of "Calm" (I have the app) and the final one was Watership Down, which I realised I'd never read as a child. So lots to keep me amused for less than the price of a coffee.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Lucy5781
    Lucy5781 Posts: 745 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 3 July 2018 at 3:48PM
    Options
    DS, who is two in two months time, is now being allowed to walk rather than be in the buggy more often now and has made several good spots in the charity shops which he loves to go in (wonder why?).

Scope £1 outlet got us a Thomas the Tank Engine DVD and a Star Wars book for the first film (normal price £6.99). £1 for the both.

Local hospice shop he found a large stuffed toy Minion, his current obsession, 50p, would have been £8-15 new.

And today, again in the Scope shop, he found a Vtech dancing monkey piano toy for £1, this now discontinued toy was selling for about £23 new according to Google.

Boy has a good eye! Lol
    Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Jan 2012: £16,000+ :eek: [STRIKE] Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Sep 2013: £13,023 [/STRIKE]
    DRO Completed: 30/09/2014 :T
    30/09/19 - Details now dropped off debt register. :o

My Diary - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4202761
  • Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,907 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    A few days spent in Bedale meant I could have a rummage in the charity shops of Ripon and Thirsk for a change. Found a nice faceted crystal tea light holder for the outrageous price of 20p :p Must remember to site it well away from any windows as a friend once had a curtain burst into flames due to strong sunshine reflecting from a crystal vase onto said curtain....scary!! Also came across a box of all manicure stuff in another chazza. Purchased a weird "S' shaped nail file thingumidoo mostly out of curiosity and the pretty pattern on the back...new and priced at 15p. Then I spotted a leather old-fashioned manicure set with all it's accoutrements intact...looked unused and priced at £1. Tis exactly the same as my existing, falling apart one that was given to me on my 10th birthday by my grandma (ahem, multi several years ago!!). Won't be parting with the old one though...reminds me of some happy times and happy days with my lovely gran who taught me to sew and knit and to recycle.

Came home with a couple of buckets of raspberries from a friend's garden so more of my cack handed jam making will be required.....ooooh and in this heat!!!!:o
  • Out,_Vile_Jelly
    Out,_Vile_Jelly Posts: 4,842 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    and the final one was Watership Down, which I realised I'd never read as a child.

I don't think it's a children's book really; I consider it the best novel written about politics and society, one of my all time Top Five. Hope you enjoy it.

All garments were 50p in my local random charity shop, so bought a few Next/M&S work trousers, and some really nice comfy combats, as you can't go wrong at that price.
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
  • kboss2010
    kboss2010 Posts: 1,466 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I had a wedding to go to last weekend & a quick trip to my local independent CS found me a brand new burgundy sequinned floor- length simplybe dress for £10!!! I reckon the RRP was about £100.

And a linen M&S blouse for £3.50.
    “I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. TappingI'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there~ LifehouseWhat’s fur ye will make go by ye… but also what’s not fur ye, ye can jist scroll on by!
  • kboss2010
    kboss2010 Posts: 1,466 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Mir! wrote: »
    Found a nice faceted crystal tea light holder for the outrageous price of 20p :p Must remember to site it well away from any windows as a friend once had a curtain burst into flames due to strong sunshine reflecting from a crystal vase onto said curtain....scary!! o

I’ve scorched tables before now with glass window decorations, they act like magnifying glasses to focus sunlight on objects nearby - it puts me off actually putting glass anywhere in a room that the sunlight directly hits! Mine are all hidden in alcoves which kind of defeats the point lol!
    “I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. TappingI'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there~ LifehouseWhat’s fur ye will make go by ye… but also what’s not fur ye, ye can jist scroll on by!
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,688 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Mir! wrote: »
    Purchased a weird "S' shaped nail file thingumidoo mostly out of curiosity and the pretty pattern on the back...new and priced at 15p.
    Invented by a winner of The Apprentice - Tom Pellereau - it's called 'the Stylfile'.
  • Bogof_Babe
    Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    Options
    I have been sweltering in my lightest jeans all week, washing them every night and drying them by the open bathroom window. (In my opinion, others may differ!) I am too old for shorts, and I don’t have any cut-offs and hate skirts so I was not exactly spoilt for choice.

We’re off on a little one night trip today and I really didn’t want to be all sweaty on the trains, so without much optimism I popped into Oxfam half an hour before they closed. I headed for the reduced rail where I spotted among all the crimplene and size 8s a pair of navy M&S crinkle style viscose trousers in my size and seemingly in perfect condition, reduced to £1. Hand washed them and dried overnight (luckily I did give them a spin as they wouldn’t have drip dried in time to wear today) and they are perfect. Wearing them now, just what I wanted.

Sometimes you just get lucky! :T
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

• Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,907 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 4 July 2018 at 9:49AM
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    Invented by a winner of The Apprentice - Tom Pellereau - it's called 'the Stylfile'.

Oh...interesting! Works quite well but not the sort of thing you can carry about in a small handbag due to the odd shape!

'The Apprentice' is one of a long list of culturally iconic (sic) TV progs and films I have never ever watched for some reason.....(Britain's Got Talent, X Factor, Dr Who, Star Wars, Harry Potter, ET for example) :o

A trip to Otley yesterday yielded nuthin' but I diverted via the community chazza on the way home and found a b/n M & S T-shirt in a fuchsia shade for £1.25.
  • Hopeless_Case
    Options
    I had to go the chemist today and popped into the charity shop next door, and got a lovely white Dorothy Perkins gypsy skirt with the label still on, and 6 big chunky dinner plates, forget the make but it was something to do with Royal Worcester, for £10.

I was trying to stay away as I don't technically need anything :o, but as a bit of a splurge goes, this was tame, and I know I'll get loads of use out of everything I've bought :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure