PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond!

Options

Comments

• DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,909 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 23 June 2018 at 5:04PM
    Options
    I am indeed a NW lass (albeit initially an academic migrant then married in), If Booths has become coherent about reusable cups, I'll whisk one of my Starbucks specials (the £1, free-on-promotion ones) into the car... Pay for coffee? <shudders> Life is short, as is my budget, & I want to be able to afford all the cs fun...!

Denby - ah, well, it's complicated.
    <Reconsiders. No, it isn't.>
    I see, I recognise, I like, I want, & I then abide by Acquisition Committee Rules (no chips, no cracks, & On Average under £1 a piece) - most of the time. We use Imperial Blue daily (the committee can either avert its eyes from the cost or pay full Denby prices - the committee's broken enough!) and then I have a few patterns I am ferociously possessive of & one or two I spot for friends, though it has to be said it can be a bit of a test of friendship - would I let that unspeakably lovely serving platter go? (Gulps hard & wraps it not unlike swaddling a child & then sends it prayerfully, having checked it has a welcome first by email. I've several pieces "Bought for G, or L" that she happened to have already [and since I don't know Everything I have, how can I possibly know everything another holic has?!])

I do try to steer clear of the collectors stuff [I just do not see the appeal of greenwheat, for example] but if I spot that signature I usually acquire as one day I'll need to supplement my pension.

I'm also a basestamp twitcher - I've a couple of pieces bought for the basestamp as either its a stonking rarity or its a fake.

Then there are the odds and bits that I get "for reference". Meaning it's obviously Denby but my reference book only goes as far as 1995, so I'll pick up a few small items, in the right shape & colour to help me spot others of the family. (Well, that's my story, & I'm sticking to it & anyway Acquisition Committee rules [largely] apply.)

And finally there are mugs. If it's a nice colour or shape or I like it (and I do not love Everything - some of the colourroll years stuff was a bit Marmite), lunge....

When Himself has cleared his heap to ebay &/or carboot (anyone know how to borrow a horsebox for a weekend? During carboot season, sans horse) then I'll relocate the Great Wall of China up here, and sort it all out, log it on excel & pack it all away again. Did that once about a decade ago - there was a tray full of reference pieces I cannot identify, along with narrow winding paths across the floor. And a slightly stunned photo, titled "DontRun". However, I never logged where it all went back so I need to Try Harder. After all, properly sorted it'll pay for my funeral. [Easily, I'd have thought.] Plus my poor Executors will either need to rent an expert (or use the knowledge dinned into them as children) to identify it all & then value it correctly. <Evil snicker>

Today, nothing for me. Sniff. However, the two hours spent researching paid off for youngest when we recognised an end of line discounted graphics tablet and (gracefully) lunged, and we got two reference volumes (one on pipes, & yet another on the Bayeux tapestry) plus a couple of light reads total £2 & god bless the Samaritans.

Plus a smart pair of Craghopper trousers that had a son beaming - it is Just So rewarding to see them smartly dressed & knowing someone else paid list price whereas you have changed from a tenner.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,719 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Another Denby-holic here. :wave:
    We use Greenwich on a daily basis.
    I also have some 'Juice' rice bowls that I use for cereal.

Re Greenwheat, not my cup of tea either but I have a small jug with a browny interior, not the green.
    It has 'A College' (Glyn's Dad) stamped on the bottom.

I also have a number of the small bowls that I think paintresses used to practice on, these have the same colour interior as Greenwheat and feature leaves.

I have a studio pot stamped 'Yorath' - David was a designer in the 1960s or 1970s.
  • Bogof_Babe
    Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    Options
    I had a choc-ice lolly in town today and got chocolate down my front :o . Felt too embarrassed to continue round town so popped into the first c/s I came to, which happened to be Blue Cross. Found a gorgeous pure silk Betty Barclay sleeveless tunic top for £3.95, and paid for it on the spot. When I put it on in the changing room it felt a little tight across the back, although perfectly wearable. When I got home I found it was a 12, which had been on a 14 hanger, doh.

Also it has a "dry clean only" tag, but seems to have survived a cool hand wash with delicates liquid and a drip dry on the washing line.

It folds up to a tiny size and will be added to my travel emergency kit (i.e. the extra set of undies and a top that I always take in case I'm delayed getting back).
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

• tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I also lurveeee denby imperial blue for me love the cups lines and tea pots particularly :Dim having a bit of a drought currently but loving reading the bargains...happy hunting xx
    onwards and upwards
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,268 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    My parents had a Manor Green pint jug which was always the family-of-6 custard jug, and 6 Denby mugs - 5 were Manor green (but convex, like the jug) and one (my mum's) was brown with blue interior...one of my brothers acquired them while home-clearing :(
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,909 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Home clearing can be a very fraught time.

Seeing the Denby you love going off with someone else - owch. Still, when you see it's sibling sat on a cs shelf, You'll Know It Was Meant!

(Remarkably, I managed to get some of both my grandmothers' Denby, cracked & repaired & loved and still in use - I do wonder who got the whole stuff, but there you go.)

Awed at the emergency travel kit - well done!
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm using imperial blue too - had a fantastic haul a few years ago but nothing since but then again I've not really been looking as I have plenty to use!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • Gem-gem
    Gem-gem Posts: 4,405 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Had a look in the cs around Tunbridge Wells, bought a brand new London Underground puzzle with the cellphone still on it for £6. Possibly going to be a Christmas present. Also bought a small Boofle for £2.25, to add to the collection!!
    Save 12K in 2026 no 16
    Fashion on a ration 0/66 coupons
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,268 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Home clearing can be a very fraught time...

Initially it was safe...until he met my DSiL & her kids... I am curious as to what variety of Denby it is, I would guess at early (i.e. before me in 1964 :))

I think I may have to issue a FB question as to who has the custard jug :D
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 23 June 2018 at 11:03PM
    Options
    My first husband's dad worked at Denby. :rotfl:

I have one of those fab very large grey/blue/green patterned jug/urn things packed in my loft. Can't remember the name of the design, it's very 60s. I will look it up one of these days. I believe it's worth quite a bit of money. When I move house I intend to have it on display.

I use the "cup of coffee" yardstick too. Lol.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure