Best Sim Only Deals (MEGATHREAD)

Options

Comments

• Malti
    Malti Posts: 84 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you Colin-maybe

As the links at the top of the page wasn't even listing smarty when I originally posted (it is now though) I thought I would ask the MSE forum for their advice, not sarcasm.

goodbye.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Malti wrote: »
    Thank you Colin-maybe

As the links at the top of the page wasn't even listing smarty when I originally posted (it is now though) I thought I would ask the MSE forum for their advice, not sarcasm.

goodbye.

Except that you already knew about the Smarty deal and you were enquiring about other deals which ARE listed above so you're welcome :rotfl:
  • aubergine
    Options
    I have just left Virgin mobile after a lot of timewasting and unhelpful customer service (mostly in Philippines I think).

I was on their £5 sim only, they kept putting it up with RPI while still selling £5 to new customers but put it back to £5 every time I complained.

However, since the cheapest sim became £6 they applied a £1 discount so I still paid £5, until the RPI increase which they applied to the £6 so my increase was actually more than RPI.

It seems their small print basically allows them to do what they like, so long as they tell you. They didn't tell me, but apparently there's no recourse if they don't.

Anyway, if you had a £5 sim only with Virgin check your increases. They were rude and unhelpful and have lost a customer for life for the sake of what was 3p a month, though this year would have been 6p a month. I now have GiffGaff and Plusnet which so far I'm happy with and offer better value for money.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    aubergine wrote: »
    However, since the cheapest sim became £6 they applied a £1 discount so I still paid £5, until the RPI increase which they applied to the £6 so my increase was actually more than RPI.

It seems their small print basically allows them to do what they like, so long as they tell you. They didn't tell me, but apparently there's no recourse if they don't.

Every single company will apply any increase to the base price, not the discounted price. That should be obvious to anybody to be honest.
  • aubergine
    Options
    "Every single company will apply any increase to the base price, not the discounted price. That should be obvious to anybody to be honest."

Even when the discount was apparently just an accounting function to put you back onto the the £5 contract you signed up to?

Not exactly fair and honest especially when they don't tell you and actually agree the price rise was wrong initially before backtracking.

I know they're not my friend, they're just another money grabbing corporation but it seems dishonest to me.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Even when the discount was apparently just an accounting function to put you back onto the the £5 contract you signed up to?

Not exactly fair and honest especially when they don't tell you and actually agree the price rise was wrong initially before backtracking.

I know they're not my friend, they're just another money grabbing corporation but it seems dishonest to me.

Accounting function? They gave you a discount on a contract that had risen in price. What did they not tell you? Did you think you were on a £5 a month deal for life?

Sorry, you're talking nonsense.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    They did tell you, you chose to ignore that part of the agreement.

Anyway, if you had a £5 sim only with Virgin check your increases. They were rude and unhelpful and have lost a customer for life for the sake of what was 3p a month, though this year would have been 6p a month.

Who knows how you spoke to them? especially as you cancelled a contract over 3p a month!
  • Kernel_Sanders
    Kernel_Sanders Posts: 3,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 16 August 2018 at 7:24PM
    Options
    Ian011 wrote: »
    Inclusive allowances usually cover:
    - UK landline numbers starting 01 and 02
    - non-geographic numbers starting 03
    - UK mobile numbers starting 071-075 and 077-079.

Landline and mobile numbers allocated in Jersey, Guernsey and Isle of Man are usually excluded - but there are other ways to call these at no additional charge.

Personal numbers starting 070 are currently charged at eye-watering premium rates. Ofcom proposals currently being considered will see these numbers included within inclusive allowances from early 2019.

Numbers starting 0800, 0808 and 116 and other numbers such as 105, 111 and 112/999 are free-to caller on landlines and on mobiles.

Numbers starting 055, 056 and 076 have non-standard charges, but are so rare they are barely worth mentioning.
    I had no idea 076 numbers weren't regular mobile numbers and I wouldn't be surprised if 95% of the population at large didn't know either. Nearly got caught out with the 070 numbers a few years ago because AdMag encouraged advertisers to include these wretched numbers without informing readers of the cost. I'm pretty sure it was the paper that creamed off the profit, but I can't remember how.
    Ian011 wrote: »
    This just leaves numbers starting 084, 087, 09 and 118. These are all premium rate with an Access Charge and a Service Charge. Usage of these numbers is now banned for very many purposes.
    Haven't 118 numbers always been restricted to directory enquiry services?
  • aubergine
    aubergine Posts: 51 Forumite
    Options
    Accounting function? They gave you a discount on a contract that had risen in price. What did they not tell you? Did you think you were on a £5 a month deal for life?

Sorry, you're talking nonsense.

No, it was supposed to go up by RPI, they applied an additional increase.
  • aubergine
    aubergine Posts: 51 Forumite
    Options
    pmduk wrote: »
    They did tell you, you chose to ignore that part of the agreement.

Who knows how you spoke to them? especially as you cancelled a contract over 3p a month!

The agreement was they can make increases if they notify the increases *they did not notify the additional increase*

And I am always very polite. I hadn't cancelled at that stage.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure