IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Parking Ticket Appeals successes and failures

Options

Comments

• pachooma
    Options
    PAO Ltd is a private company who seem to monitor various private car parks across Leeds, West Yorkshire.

I parked in a Disabled Bay at my local Leisure Complex to enjoy a meal out last night.

I returned to my car to find a "Parking Charge" stuck to my driver's window. On opening the plastic envelope I found I'd been charged for not displaying a Disabled Driver's Badge. My badge had in fact fallen off the dashboard & could not be seen.

I immediately went into the security office to ask if they dealt with these charges, but they advised they didn't because it was a private company.

This morning I wrote a letter explaining my position & hand delivered it to the registered office. I requested a signature on receipt of the letter & showed them my badge along with the receipt from my meal.

They telephoned the security office at the complex to verify my story & cancelled the charge there & then. I also requested they make note of that on my copy of the letter I submitted to ensure no further action would be taken.

If I had replied in writing via post, the paper process would have begun & it would've been a nightmare.

I feel that going in person gives you more strength in your argument because they can't ignore you so easily & they probably don't get many people going to the bother, so it shakes their ground a little.

I hope this helps.
  • Hadeon
    Hadeon Posts: 367 Forumite
    edited 23 November 2010 at 6:02PM
    Options
    pachooma wrote: »
    I immediately went into the security office to ask if they dealt with these charges, but they advised they didn't because it was a private company.

This morning I wrote a letter explaining my position & hand delivered it to the registered office. I requested a signature on receipt of the letter & showed them my badge along with the receipt from my meal.

They telephoned the security office at the complex to verify my story & cancelled the charge there & then. I also requested they make note of that on my copy of the letter I submitted to ensure no further action would be taken.

If I had replied in writing via post, the paper process would have begun & it would've been a nightmare.

I feel that going in person gives you more strength in your argument because they can't ignore you so easily & they probably don't get many people going to the bother, so it shakes their ground a little.

I hope this helps.

Well done, but you were lucky and are a very rare exception to the normal response you would get from any PPC.

Also most PPC 'offices' are PO Box numbers or 'mail-drops' so very difficult to visit. Yours I take it was local to you as well.

'IGNORE' works for the vast majority of potential victims of the PPC scam, and doesn't involve the expenditure of time, effort and money. What's the point of appealing a scam in the first place anyway.
  • Jag12
    Options
    Can anyone help? Last week I parked in a residents and visitors only private car park in St Albans whilst visiting a friend overnight. I had parked here before and didnt realise I needed to display a permit.

The following day when I went to leave, I discovered a yellow and black stick envelope attached to my winscreed with a FIXED PENALTY NOTICE ticket) apparently issued at 8pm the previous evening and that my car had been CLAMPED too at 9.30am that morning!

I had to pay £125 to have the clamp removed but have also got an £80 fixed penaly notice that will be reduced to £40 id paid withing 14 days.

I am contemplating whether to appeal the clamping fee and the ticket or to accept that my car was clamped and just to ignore the ticket. The signs displayed do state that by breaking the contract with the landowner I agree to an £80 fine OR my vehicle being clamped.

My friend does have a visitors permit but didnt realise himself that it needed to be displayed in the area where i was parked even though there are a few signs up. Any advice please?
  • taffy056
    taffy056 Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    Options
    Is this a council issuing this notice ? My thinking its not and they are acting illegally by saying its a fixed penalty notice, so if that is the case completely ignore them, and don't pay anything.

If you paid for release by card, demand that your card issuer to do a chargeback, tell them that your vehicle was clamped illegally, and you paid under extreme duress, also report it to the police first to get an incident number.

If you paid cash, you need to issue a letter before action letter to the clampers and agents/landowners jointly, if they don't pay back, take them to the small claims jointly.
    Excel Parking, MET Parking, Combined Parking Solutions, VP Parking Solutions, ANPR PC Ltd, & Roxburghe Debt Collectors. What do they all have in common?
    They are all or have been suspended from accessing the DVLA database for gross misconduct!
    Do you really need to ask what kind of people run parking companies?
  • gemgemgem
    Options
    ebee01 wrote: »
    :jSUCCESS!!!!! LDK at Hartlepool Marina issued me with a parking charge notice of £60 rising progressively to £140 for parking in a bay opposite a row of restaurants and shops. The first 30 mins was FOC, followed by 50p for the hour and £3.00 for the day. I did not purchase a ticket as there was no indication that a ticket was required for parking there. I decided to reply to the PCN and followed the :money: template, including photographs. They ignored my first letter and so I did more research on the internet and my letter ended as follows:-
    "I shall be forwarding a copy of ALL correspondence to the BPA as I believe you are contravening the Code of Practice on several counts. Also, your document for a Formal Demand for Payment appears to be in violation of the Administration of Justice Act 1970. According to Consumer Contract Regulation, parking fines must not exceed the cost to the landowner during the period the motorist is parked there, making your charges disproportionately high."
    I also informed them that I had a passenger who could confirm my claim. Following my second letter they droped the fine. I have read somewhere that you need to keep a copy of that letter incase you are pursued at a later date for the same thing?
    I contacted the local paper, but they weren't interested in following up my story. I just wanted all drivers parking at the Marina in Hartlepool to know that if they have been fined and paid those fines, LDK were operating illegally in that car park. They should claim their money back. There is NO notice at the entrance to the carpark to inform people they are entering private land or any kind of contract. According to LDK they have not had permission by the business owners or the Council to erect signs infront of the bays where my car was parked or at the entrance to the carpark and so they should not be charging drivers for parking there. :beer:

is this right?

I am currently ignoring all dmands from ldk security and now also their 'debt collection agency' EDRS. i parked opposite Bianco's and accidentally overstayed 20 minutes. This was last summer. at 50p p/hour i think the charge they are demanding is ridiculous and so at the advice of various forums i am ignoring.

the threats are obviously worrying me and i am now wondering to send a letter stating what youve said?
  • peter_the_piper
    Options
    Jag12 wrote: »
    Can anyone help? Last week I parked in a residents and visitors only private car park in St Albans whilst visiting a friend overnight. I had parked here before and didnt realise I needed to display a permit.

The following day when I went to leave, I discovered a yellow and black stick envelope attached to my winscreed with a FIXED PENALTY NOTICE ticket) apparently issued at 8pm the previous evening and that my car had been CLAMPED too at 9.30am that morning!

I had to pay £125 to have the clamp removed but have also got an £80 fixed penaly notice that will be reduced to £40 id paid withing 14 days.

I am contemplating whether to appeal the clamping fee and the ticket or to accept that my car was clamped and just to ignore the ticket. The signs displayed do state that by breaking the contract with the landowner I agree to an £80 fine OR my vehicle being clamped.

My friend does have a visitors permit but didnt realise himself that it needed to be displayed in the area where i was parked even though there are a few signs up. Any advice please?
    Further to Taffy, get pictures of the signs from where you were parked, from the entrance and generally. All ammunition in the claim should it be needed.
    Don't waste the stamp on an appeal, it won't work.
    Did the receipt show sia number, initials and full name as all are required.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • peter_the_piper
    Options
    gemgemgem wrote: »
    is this right?

I am currently ignoring all dmands from ldk security and now also their 'debt collection agency' EDRS. i parked opposite Bianco's and accidentally overstayed 20 minutes. This was last summer. at 50p p/hour i think the charge they are demanding is ridiculous and so at the advice of various forums i am ignoring.

the threats are obviously worrying me and i am now wondering to send a letter stating what youve said?
    Why bother when a general ignore will suffice. I assume the parking fee was £0.00 so they have not lost anything have they.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,321 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    gemgemgem wrote: »
    is this right?

Don't bother, stop worrying about it and keep ignoring the letters.

Not even sure where you dredged that quote from, is it old? Not that it matters, no-one should appeal a PPC ticket, total waste of time.

And they do not appear to be 'operating illegally' from what that poster said. OK, so they just don't comply with the BPA code of practice and their charges wouldn't stand up in a Court...but tell me how that's different than any PPC?! :p

IGNORE the standard letters, stop trawling old info. You know enough already.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • hobbers
    Options
    Hi there,

My wife has received a parking fine for overstaying her welcome on a local retail park - just over 4 hours when the "limit" is 3 hours! They're demanding £50, :( which will double to £100 :mad: if we don't reply within 2 weeks! I made the mistake of contacting the company, whose name I forget but are based in St Albans, who stated that they are just doing as they're told by the car park owners. The "fine" is addressed to my wife as it's her car, but I was driving! Do I a) send in one of the "It's my car but I wasn't driving and I'm not telling you who was" letters as per the template on this wonderful website, or do I b) totally ignore this, and any future letters that arrive? A colleague of mine has also received a similar "fine" and he is totally ignoring them! What I certainly don't want is bigger fines and debt collectors knocking on the door - and I'm sorry but when was there a law on how long you can go shopping for! With small children, it can unfortunately take a whole day!!!! Please help and many, many thanks in advance for your help!
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,321 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 14 January 2011 at 11:46PM
    Options
    What makes you think a private firm who do not own the land can issue a fine? They cannot.

Two years ago I got a bogus parking ticket when my car was parked for 3 hours in a 2 hour limit car park. Did I pay them, did I heck as like! I still park there weekly and often stay for 4 or 5 hours when sale shopping this time of year. I am a law-abiding Mum of four children but I despise the way private parking companies scam people. I haven't been lucky enough to get another one of their rubbish fake PCNs though...shame...I do try...! :D

Watchdog on PPC fake tickets.

Guardian Letters advice on PPC fake tickets.

Just because you may be the registered keeper of a car and will receive a few letters from their pet debt collector does NOT mean that you were driving (they have no clue) and for lots of reasons they cannot enforce the 'charge' in any Court.

They rely on some mugs paying up. Don't be a mug, this is a cowboy industry, Martin Lewis said so himself (see my new signature).

IGNORE IT & THE LETTERS THAT FOLLOW. NOWT HAPPENS, NO CCJ, JUST SOME 'THREATOGRAMS' WHICH ARE SHOWN IN PICTURES IN OUR STICKY THREAD 'PPC LETTERS, WHAT TO EXPECT'.

YOUR COLLEAGUE IS ABSOLUTELY CORRECT. :T
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback