PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

OS ways and Poor Health

Options

Comments

• Lynplatinum
    Options
    Evening all,

feeling rough today - aching all over - not sure, as caronc says, if its the impending change in baromtric pressure (its nice - sunshine and showers - westerly breeze - mild tail end of Doris) but a wet weather front is coming according to Met with more northly wind) or just that since my hand is a bit better ive been driving everyday this week with the exception of Tuesday and have probably over done it. DS1 + GF+ GD are off to ex for wkend - am hoping the break will do me good! :D
    tc all
    Aim for Sept 17: 20/30 days to be NSDs :cool: NSDs July 23/31 (aim 22) :j
    NSDs 2015:185/330 (allowing for hols etc)
    LBM: started Jan 2012 - still learning!
    Life gives us only lessons and gifts - learn the lesson and it becomes a gift.' from the Bohdavista :j
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    I spend all my days in jammies, well jammie bottoms and a tshirt. Nobody here to see and I only go as far as the back garden feed the birds. Nobody out there to see but the sheep who aint fussy. And my nextdoor neighbour who works full time but the minute she gets home she changes into her jammies as well :)
    Horrible night last night - as bad as Doris. Howling wind and hellish rain. Playpark at bottom of the village is a swiming pool today.
  • pollyanna_26
    Options
    NIce to see you back here LynP .
    Oh Mar that sounds horrible , we had a bit of sun yesterday but clear and cold last night . Today is wet and windy but that's our norm . I do hope the RVs Sky dish survived :D

I hope too back later , laptop is having a hissy fit and refusing to charge from either of the chargers including a new one it's been charging from . It has 9 mins remaining so I'm shutting down completely and off to scream at the skies .
    polly
    It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.

There but for fortune go you and I.
  • CRANKY40
    CRANKY40 Posts: 5,764 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We had a jama day on Thursday Mar. It was Doris day, the weather was awful, we'd been out the day before so we kept our pjs on and stayed in. I did remove said pjs at 6pm, had a bath and put fresh pjs on so I'm excused - that's almost like getting dressed right? :rotfl:

This morning I've stripped my bed and the bedding is in the wash. I have a cunning plan for bedding....I still have my summer duvet on so it's lightweight and easier to handle. I also use the sushi roll method for putting the duvet back on (a friend in Japan sent me youtube instructions). Once the bed is made with the lightweight duvet I throw a single duvet in it's own (and much easier to manage) cover sideways across the bed. This has the advantage of being able to control the warmth factor too - if I'm hot I fold the top one across the bed at night instead of over me. That will be the sum total of todays housework methinks. Dinner has been liberated from the freezer to defrost. I have home made spag bol, he has lamb stew (with obliterated veg so he doesn't know it's there). Take care all of you.
  • pollyanna_26
    Options
    Cranky my youngest daughter and I share two inherited conditions so I know the awful sinking feeling of knowing your child will face similar struggles and none of us wish pain and exhaustion on the young . Some things are better than when we were struggling , although my daughter as told for many years that she was too young for many of the conditions she was eventually diagnosed with them all . Treatment and knowledge have come a long way and that eventually led to my own two conditions since my teens finally being diagnosed .
    DDs condition is being helped as much as possible by medications that were unheard of not so long ago . I do a little about EDS but never realised that medication wasn't much use . DDs like some here has both Morphine and Oromorph togrther for the pain but it's the Methotrexate that does slow the damage and damp down inflammation as much as possible . Downside is side effects . the need for very regular blood tests to monitor her liver and other organs , her bloods have been very wonky for a while but Dr thinks it could be the post viral condition which has come from the awful virus most of the uk suffered . Meds mean for about 3 days minimum she's virtually living with her head down loo each week and the morphine etc flatten her .
    I must confess your little pain killing routine is quite sad as there really isn't a lot of effective relief there . One warning I lived on Ibuprofen for years to try and function with children , work etc .
    My Gp ordered me to stop because it led to a stomach ulcer and I haven't taken it since '
    Hopefully taking the House Troll to the doctors will lead to an early way to manage his condition as well as possible and perhaps some better pain relief for you although I do understand when you need to be mum narcotics may not be the answer .
    Much empathy re the exhaustion it's very familiar to those of us on the thread . I do the bite size style of housework but some days I just do the bare minimum . I'm rubbish at pacing and have a strop now and then cram in too many things but boy do we pay later .
    Take care
    polly
    It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.

There but for fortune go you and I.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Well OH was so concerned about me yesterday he phoned the Dr. I have reduced my Ramipril by 2.5mgs. Felt better this morning. We needed some shopping so OH took me into Melton......I spent almost £20 on fruit. Something I had been craving was crisps, so a pack of ready salted in the bag.

I have just had a bacon and sauce roll with a few grapes, yummy. I bought 2 lasagne from Lidl to try, we will have them for supper tonight. You cannot freeze them which is a shame, however.......we will see what they are like.

Back in bed now, will get up for supper.

Not a nice day, its windy and has just started to rain. The builders were at the bungalow opposite this morning they lost 3 coping stones in the wind on Thursday. The builders went along the roof repointing all the old stones after they replaced the broken ones.
  • Doom_and_Gloom
    Options
    I've finally read through all the posts. There were twenty pages when I started. Took me soo long as I was really trying to take in everything but I think most has escaped my brain :o.

I have 3 different spinal conditions, the names of which are too long for me right now to try and remember to spell etc. Neadless to say they all cause their own proplems.
    I went to the doctors Monday.
    I'm not amused right now. Just came back from doctors surgery as I had an appointment booked but when I got there they had no record of it :mad: ! I have to go back out later now. I feel sorry for OH as he is the one pushing me there and back.
    As I explain in that thread the appointment had been booked nearly a week before. Anyway I got an appointment later that day and have been referred to the pain clinic and my file has been flagged, or something, to the hospital, neurosurgery, to enquire why it's been so long since I've had any scans!
    Since then I've had that damn DLA to PIP letter. Seriously days after I get myself to doctors because work have been on my case I get that letter.

I'm at my worst. Yesterday after I got in from my four hour shift my conditions decided that I couldn't have light on, I'd been getting sensitive at work before but managed. For hours I had to block the light out completely. Me under a blanket just to make sure. I was eventually able to go on my phone, brightness turned all the way down which is how it still is. I'm in a lot of pain.
    For dinner yesterday I had mexican bean soup out of a tin with microwave quinoa. I don't usually eat such things but it was that or not eat by that point with how I felt. I couldn't have handled the OH cooking me something on the hob.
    I'd only eaten breakfast and a banana by that point and it must have been 9pm.

Oh I know I read earlier in this thread about how to fill the kettle. I do something simular. We have a plastic cup we keep just for me to be able to fill the kettle myself.
    I also have what I call a perching stool. It isn't really. It's a folding high-ish chair I can sit on to help in the kitchen when I'm able. It being foldable means OH can get it out of his way when I don't need it.
    We decided against an upright vacuum when we got one over 6 years ago. I sit on the floor to do that when I'm able. It would be impossible with an upright. Me + cruches + upright vacuum = accident. No if, it will happen. I'm better off being on the floor already.

I am sorry and sad to hear others going through the mill as well. We'll make it through though.
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
  • candlelight_2013
    candlelight_2013 Posts: 2,681 Forumite
    edited 25 February 2017 at 2:08PM
    Options
    It is wet and cold here today, quite a change from yesterday.

I nearly lost Himself last April, he had been slowly getting worse and eventually agreed to let me take him to A&E. That day he was diagnosed with atrial fibrillation and heart failure and was immediately put on intravenous diuretics.

Over the next 3 weeks he lost 5 stone in fluid (his tummy had grown enormous), he had cellulitis and ulcers on his legs and the fluid had risen all up his back, almost to his brain. I treated the ulcers with manuka honey dressings and I swear by these.

Prior to this he had a heart attack 8 years previous, so he had been on 7.5mg Ramipril for all that time with no obvious side effects. Now he has a cocktail of 14 tablets a day, 4 being diuretics, a blood thinner Rivaroxaban and others for BP. The Ramipril is now down to 1.25mg because his kidney function is not good, and I think Ramipril is known for this..

I think with a lot of long term conditions, it is trial and error as to medication. The heart failure nurses (who are wonderful) say the heart must always come first obviously, but the drugs for that can have an adverse effect on the kidneys so what do you do?

Thank goodness he is back on an even keel, but having the virus recently really knocked him about and took him many weeks to recover (Polly knows about this)

Candlelightx
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    Iwondered how he had got on candlelight, that's good to hear. Def agree re meds - I found this week that taking 10mg hydrocortisone at my 11am dose made a HUGE difference to taking 5mg. Tiny tiny wee adjustment and yet it has really helped me feel better. We shouldn't take doctors as the Word of Gawd and experiment a wee bit ourselves, I think.
  • candlelight_2013
    Options
    Mar. how right you are. I know him so well, probably the same as you with the RV. I know when he isn't right, even if he won't admit it. He has to weigh himself each morning, so the moment he has gained a kilo we have to increase the diuretics. Thankfully the only time that happened the GP had messed about with the medication.

I hope you are managing to stay reasonably well with your new diagnosis, you don't do things by halves do you?:):)

Candlelightx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport