PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

OS ways and Poor Health

Options

Comments

• Prinzessilein
    Options
    Afternoon folks!

It is sooooo cold here today...one of the joys pf living so close to the sea! We had some fierce winds during Doris, and woke up today to a thick cold sea-fog that has given way to a freezing cold drizzle. ....Which is just not good for the bones! I have a warm wheat bag tucked against my back!

My skin has gone pretty ucky....probably (definitely????) the delayed reaction to having completed the PIP forms, and the joy of waiting and wondering about their decision! (Holding fast to my faith as much as possible...it is all in His hands!)...So have upped the creams and am also using the one prescribed for the 'bad' attacks.

I REALLY miss my baths on a day like today!...Much as I am grateful that I have a level-access shower, with grab rails, and a seat.....there are some days when I hanker after the sheer bliss of a long hot soak in the bath!

Mardatha...I totally agree about being 'guided' by the GP and not taking their word as 100% on every issue. I have a rather decent GP, but he would be the first to agree that there are some things about my conditions that I can teach him! ...and no two people are necessarily going to react in the same way to the same meds or the same dosage.
  • pollyanna_26
    Options
    Quick one from me I've been wittering away elsewhere on the forum .
    Award of the day goes to Doom-and Gloom for managing to read through from the beginning , some of us decided early on it was a good idea to jot things down as we went but myself for one forgot to keep it up .
    Lovely to see you here dear Candlelight .
    Rest Csarina x
    I have to go and do some boring house tasks but will be back later having first read your posts properly .
    polly
    ps Never google the Ikea indoor garden :D
    It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.

There but for fortune go you and I.
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    I'm totally fine candlelight pet. I very very rarely get down about health - I'm too ratty for that :D and this doesn't feel day to day very different from the ME. I'm very lucky and I know it - no kids underfoot, no horrible job, if I'm tired then I sit here and knit or read or float around the net. I would have killed for this lifestyle when I was younger and struggling :D
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,097 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Today was a long pig of a day . Didn't get back until 7pm and am exhausted . I just wanted to let Caronc know I will be thinking of her tomorrow and wishing her well .
    Love the House troll for the former House elf .
    If I don't get to bed I'll fall asleep in the chair so wishing everyone some rest and see you tomorrow .
    Sleep Tight
    polly x
    Thanks Polly sorry I didn't see your post last night.:A
    I hope all of you who had rough days yesterday are having better ones today :)
    Me I'm done in a broken night, an early start, a car journey in horrible weather and the dreaded PIP assessment have taken there toll and despite a 4 hour snooze I still feel exhausted. When I got there I discovered that ATOS have sub-contracted the assessments to Salus (part of NHS Lanarkshire) and tbh the woman couldn't have been nicer. No idea what I scored though so will ask for reconsideration if need be. Got home to a copy of my Occupational Health report which for once was pretty decent. My manager had got hers electronically on Thursday so I kind of knew what it said. Lots of emphasis on how keen to return to work but how no way that is an option for the foreseeable future so I suspect my employer may decide it won't support further long term absence. However, I'll deal with that when I need to.
    Just psyching myself up to do my rehab exercises which always make me feel rubbish and tonight I'm for a large glass (or two) of wine and stuff the consequences:D Hopefully I'll have my mojo back tomorrow x
  • pollyanna_26
    Options
    Well will try to catch up now starting with LynP at the top of the page . It could be the weather but I'd guess at the driving because that's finding you felt ok doing so one day you did more , It's so hard to gauge the moment before we are heading for a flare and I tend to think oh I feel fine and push my luck and the result is not good . It could be combined with the weather but we spend our time pondering the what's caused this question and there are to many possibilities to find the answer and when you are flaring thinking it through is piling more exhaustion on top . I mainly settle for it is what it is and these things will pass . Hope you enjoy a peaceful break .

Csarina how nice of your husband to be so proactive . Fingers crossed that little alteration makes a positive difference ..

Mar the weather has been downright miserable today . I was amazed how the days were stretching out but yesterday and today it looks like lights on much earlier than the last few weeks . DD is the queen of pyjamas she has a large collection of warm and fluffy or cool cotton depending on what her broken thermometer ( her words ) is showing . She has a number of the warm boot style slippers including owls with sticky out ears . Dressing is difficult and painful for her so if she doesn't have to leave the house she doesn't dress . like you I get ratty it cheers me up .

Right off to check the stew and make a brew .
    Will reply to the other posts in a bit .
    Doom- and -Gloom is your quote above from this thread or another ? I don't know how prepared you are for the dla to pip process and wouldn't like to tell you things you already know or others have told you . Have you just received the "invitation " or are you already underway with things ? Will be glad to advise you if you wish and will be back later .
    polly

WHERE ARE YOU LARUMBELLE . Missing the bullet points and more importantly wondering if all is well . x

• pollyanna_26
    Options
    Caronc I've been thinking of you all day and sending the vibes . Seems to have gone well except for the journey hiccups etc . Good news too on the OT report . To be honest I'd be saying s*d it to the rehab and lying on the sofa but take no notice of me I'll lead you astray . In my defence I don't drink alchohol have to be a little subversive instead .
    Now I must save the stew .
    polly

• caronc
    Options
    Caronc I've been thinking of you all day and sending the vibes . Seems to have gone well except for the journey hiccups etc . Good news too on the OT report . To be honest I'd be saying s*d it to the rehab and lying on the sofa but take no notice of me I'll lead you astray . In my defence I don't drink alchohol have to be a little subversive instead .
    Now I must save the stew .
    polly
    Thank you - tbh not sure I'll get them all done but will do a few :D
  • CRANKY40
    CRANKY40 Posts: 5,771 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    There's a reason for my lack of pain relief.....I started taking dihydrocodeine in my thirties....I can't take most of the recommended arthritis pain relief drugs because of their adverse effects on asthma. Dihydrocodeine lets me sleep at night which is great but it has an adverse effect on pain. The more you take and the longer that you take it the more sensitive to pain you become so you actually feel like your pain is increasing and need to take more - it's a pain causing cycle. That is why I take as little as possible. I'm only 49 and I don't want to run out of painkilling options before I'm 60, 70 or older. Ibuprofen I take once, maybe twice a week and that's my lot. Any more and I start struggling to breathe.

If I'm planning anything out of the ordinary I have co-codamol so I take that before I go out. I was prescribed dihydrocodeine 4 times daily, but with care I can get by on co-codamol and just dihydrocodeine at night. I prefer listening to my body and trying to work within it's limits rather than eliminating pain, spending three quarters of my life asleep and doing goodness knows what damage to my joints because I can't feel when I'm over doing it. Having said that I have a doctors appointment next week to discuss my options as I'm no longer managing as well as I used to.

I've always found physiotherapy to be very good too - the physiotherapists here are way more clued up about hypermobilty and how it affects joints than some doctors that I've seen.
  • caronc
    Options
    CRANKY40 wrote: »
    The more you take and the longer that you take it the more sensitive to pain you become so you actually feel like your pain is increasing and need to take more - it's a pain causing cycle. That is why I take as little as possible. I'm only 49 and I don't want to run out of painkilling options before I'm 60, 70 or older. Ibuprofen I take once, maybe twice a week and that's my lot. Any more and I start struggling to breathe.

My Dad had that issue and has ended up with less pain on just ordinary paracetomel topped up with codeine if he really has too (not often as he likes a wee dram in the evening:D)
  • pollyanna_26
    Options
    Sorry decided to eat before coming back online . You'll laugh at this Caronc . Remember the dumplings discussion on your thread ? After discovering I had run out of sr flour there were lots of posts on dumplings . I'm blaming Pastures New who seemed to have endless different ways of serving dumplings , as the craving got worse I had stop reading the thread . Long story short finally added shopping to yesterdays tasks . Looked in the cupboard earlier and realised I'd forgotten to add flour to the shopping list . Lamb stew minus dumplings anyone ?

Cranky I hope you didn't think I was having a go at you about the meds . Your post makes sense . We've discussed here in the past and the same has been mentioned today again . We're not clones we're individuals and illness affects us in different ways and medication the same . Sometimes discussing with doctors our doubts about various meds proves to be beneficial . I know LW has had to do a fair bit of that recently . My daughter is asthmatic but an imformed medical judgement was made that the value of the big meds was such and also the need for the two inhalers that she still has them all .That was made by those who know her full medical history and monitor her very closely she sees her doctor face to face every other week so she is well observed . That will never be the perfect plan for someone else , each person will need something different and there aren't enough chances for those who need it to get that care . Some on here have struggled to get a GP appointment .
    I hope your visit to the doctor proves positive and helpful for you both .
    Take care
    polly

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport