Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 25th Mar 10, 3:38 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    • 25th Mar 10, 3:38 PM
    25th Mar 10 at 3:38 PM
    Hello everyone,

Welcome to the fourth Grocery Challenge of 2010.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your March budget, then keep on posting in the March 2010 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    For guidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #4 and #5 on this thread.

Wishing you all a great Moneysaving Month!
    Last edited by Pink.; 28-03-2010 at 2:29 PM.
Page 45
  • Sunny Donny
    Can I declare April a bad month please !!!!!

Budget 150 - actual spend 245.06 !!!!

Goes off to grumble in the corner......
    Mortgage free as at 1/9/13
    To start work on the credit cards now!!
  • rosieben
    Don't be disheartened Sunny, its a steep learning curve for most of us.

Well done to those who finished within or near budget
    Annie123 - great savings!
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
    • Spirit
    • By Spirit 2nd May 10, 10:29 AM
    • 5,509 Posts
    • 48,212 Thanks
    Spirit
    Another month when my 'keeping track' of spending has been less than diligent. Spent in excess of 500

Well done to everyone else.
    • mothershipton
    • By mothershipton 2nd May 10, 12:12 PM
    • 301 Posts
    • 2,692 Thanks
    mothershipton
    spent 440 this month on food and i thought we had been quite good. Will try harder but I think the budget will still be set at 300. Heres hoping
    Grocery Challenge Feb 16 346 /400
  • KITTY
    Finally added last 2 small spends and final total for April is 166.56
    As I set the budget at 300 Iam well pleased. As per my earlier posting I have now jiggled budgets a bit and grocery spend budget is now 200 per month.

Thanks to all for the support and to the wonderful people who keep the forum running smoothly.

Merry Christmas
    • cw18
    • By cw18 2nd May 10, 7:55 PM
    • 8,073 Posts
    • 86,059 Thanks
    cw18
    I stopped updating my spreadsheet on a daily basis this month (as I've other things to do with my 'free' time ), and until tonight the last update was done on 14th.

Sat down to complete the month with some trepidation after tea, as I was sure I must have blown my budget - it's the smallest I think I've ever had, and I didn't stop buying treats (albeit they almost all came in the form of Whoopsies) or filling up my freezers with more Whoopsies every time I made a space

But the update is now complete - and I'm chuffed to pieces to see I came in under budget.

Declaring a spend of 87.11 from my 95 budget for the month

Signature for year-to-date now looks as follows

GC Budget / Spent / Whoopsie spend / Whoopsie 'real' value
    to 30th Apr '10 : 415 / 386.15 / 200.16 / 835.33 (59/44 NSDs)
    Apr : 95 / 87.11 / 29.18 / 110.50 as of 30th Apr (12/11 NSDs)
    Cheryl
    • Cheapskate
    • By Cheapskate 2nd May 10, 8:19 PM
    • 1,663 Posts
    • 20,518 Thanks
    Cheapskate
    Evening all

My month went horribly wrong AGAIN - owning up to 460 for April, over by 60 & suspect that's a little out!
    MA runs out in a few weeks, so really urgent that I get a grip on finances now. Doing food stocktake tomorrow & menu planning - they'll all have to live with it for a while!
    Feb GC 0.00/300
    Decluttering 332/2019 items this year
    • Winchelsea
    • By Winchelsea 3rd May 10, 10:24 AM
    • 691 Posts
    • 9,316 Thanks
    Winchelsea
    Just done my sums for April - total was 132.59 - went over by 12.59.

Oh well, try harder in May!
    Keeping three cats, the car and myself on a small budget, and enjoying life while we're at it!
    • Welsh Poppy
    • By Welsh Poppy 3rd May 10, 12:14 PM
    • 980 Posts
    • 5,912 Thanks
    Welsh Poppy
    Well Finally able to log on added up all reciepts and i was over by 9.85p which is not as bad as expected BUT must try harder for May but I think the cost of food going up and tis hard we have one adult veggie junk food eater, one meat and veggie eater(hubby) and me a veggie and make mine and Hubbies food from scratch .....see you all on the May board
    Weight loss challenge 66lb to go /59lb's lost

Grocery Budget January 150/175
    Feb 150/
    • laurasavon
    • By laurasavon 3rd May 10, 1:46 PM
    • 482 Posts
    • 1,541 Thanks
    laurasavon
    Slightly over for me at 161.85 so i'm putting the budget back to 175 from 150 for next month as I can't seem to stick to the 150
    Jan 2010 - Overdraft 9,500 / Credit Cards 5,000 / Loan 9,500 / Mortgage 128,000
    Jun 2010 - Overdraft 0 / Credit Card 0 / Loan 0 / Mortgage 125,250
    Oct 2011 - Overdraft 7,000 / Mortgage 115,295
    Dec 2014 - Overdrafts 15,000 / Credit Cards 16,000 / Loans 25,000 / Cars 18,000 / Mortgages 232,500
  • rachbc
    finally declaring at 221 for the month out of 320. Very pleased
  • katenut
    Hi everyone, declaring 87.29 spent out of my budget of 170 for April - not as good as it looks as we were away for the last 10 days of the month, which comes from a different budget.
    Trying to jump back onto the moneysaving wagon ....
    • Spiggle
    • By Spiggle 5th May 10, 6:20 PM
    • 1,751 Posts
    • 14,202 Thanks
    Spiggle
    Hi all,

I think my declaration for the month may have got missed. Declaring at 212.82 for April please MrsM.

Thanks very much,
    Spigs
    Mortgage Free October 2013
  • Long tall sally
    Just realised that I hadn't posted my total for this month. Mrs M can you put Long tall sally down for 454.66 for April please
    Grocery aim 450pm.Spent 519 August, 584 July, 544 June, 541 May, 549 April, 517 March, 517 Feb,555 Jan, 573 Dec, 465Nov, 561Oct, 493Sept, 426Aug,496 Jul, 528Jun, 506May,498April, 558 March, 500Feb, 500 Jan, 490 Dec, 555 Nov,566 Oct, 505Sept, 450Aug, 410 July, 437 June, 491 May, 471 April, 440 March, 552Feb, 462Jan
    • mama67
    • By mama67 5th May 10, 8:32 PM
    • 1,318 Posts
    • 16,230 Thanks
    mama67
    Hope everyone is well today and the sun is shining for you where ever you are.
    Well my shopping total today was 31.85 so over from the 25 I reckoned on. I did pick up a few extras but only some fish, salad and coleslaw so not to bad and then nipped into W*lko's and got two 2lb loaf tins, couldnt find any 1lb ones which also wanted. I was looking for some of the paper liners for the tins but they didnt seem to stock them - anyone know where they can be brought from?

So in all a total of 255.83 spent to date, there will be the butchers to visit on Sat and also some extra f & V and perhaps bread in the week. Have 44.17 left out of budget though to last until 28th so we will see.
    If I manage to shop within the budget budget set this first time I shall be over the moon. I know I still have a higher GC than many on here for amount of mouths to feed but even this 300 is a 100 less than normal Off to update signature now and then hopefully finish cleaning the shed out. Took a car full of things to cancer charity shop yesterday.
    Originally posted by Billie-jo
    Don't know if this has been answered yet haven't read all replies, but I buy cake tin liners from lakeland, they do all sorts of sizes and they are very good.
    2 adults, 2 boys ( sportsmad-big eaters) (21 & 18)
    My mother always served up leftovers we never knew what the original meal was. - Tracey Ulman
  • Keiss 21
    Don't know if this has been answered yet haven't read all replies, but I buy cake tin liners from lakeland, they do all sorts of sizes and they are very good.
    Originally posted by mama67
    Yup, I use Lakeland ones too...great, and the bread doesn't stick!! (once oiled and floured of course). I make four at a time, allow to cool, then slice and freeze the ones we don't need right away....means I only bake bread once a week...much easier!

13 projects in 2013: 7/13
    Cross-stitch Club Member no 13
    Weight loss since 24/06/2012: 30lb
    • Purpleclutterbuck
    • By Purpleclutterbuck 8th May 10, 9:01 AM
    • 440 Posts
    • 5,210 Thanks
    Purpleclutterbuck
    This is the only way I can remotely keep on track so I am going to have to keep coming back - don't get me wrong I absolutely love reading through all the posts but my other decluttering/flyladieswork/knitting goes down to zilch! ah well never mind -saving money is the order of the day so I am declaring at 309 for April and I'll see you lovely lot on the May challenge! can't wait to start afresh (after a quick use up of all the old stuff!)
    May you fill up the great clutterbucket of life and may all of your leaks be in cheese sauce
    Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
  • poppy-glos
    declaring 292.05 for april

thanks

p x
    nov grocery challenge, .227.69/300, 9/25 nsd: , 7 Cmo, 10 egm.
    Me, 10 yo dd, and the dog. all food and drinks, in and out, plus household shopping.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

562Posts Today

5,502Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Delighted people are pushing @BorisJohnson on getting proper financial ed in schools. He says not enough resourc? https://t.co/c8Eb6BAwgU

• RT @MartinSLewis: I sued Facebook for defamation over scam ads & settled in return for 2 things that LAUNCH TODAY -1on1 scam help at new C?

• Bizzare German twitter mash article has called me "MARTIN LEWIS, der Geldsparexperte," Any german speakers out the? https://t.co/1tXEzCe4Y3

• Follow Martin