what are the best value dating sites?

Options

Comments

• becky170
    becky170 Posts: 857 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've tried match and mysinglefriend in the past and I've met nice normal guys on both, and haven't got any horror stories to tell (well apart from one guy asking rather personal questions who was promptly blocked!). Why don't you set up a free profile and see how many men there are in your area on different sites? To get the best value for money you really have to get out there and e-mail anyone you like the sound of....you've got nothing to lose after all! Good luck
    Mortgage-free wannabe #66 £105/4000
  • k_bagpuss
    Options
    I met my now husband on Dating Direct. I found the site fine, no wierdo's (maybe I was lucky?!) but my now hubby was the first date I went on. And that was in May 2008 and I (we) couldn't be happier :):)
    Good wine needs to breathe, if it stops breathing try mouth to mouth.
  • newcook
    newcook Posts: 5,001 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Im also on the ‘hunt’ for a man! Most of my friends are married with kids and we all have the same circle of friends who are also all married off so I have had to turn to internet dating!

Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn’t – the other week I was at a wedding for a couple who met on Match.
    Earlier in the year I was invited to a wedding for a couple from POF
    Im currently chatting to a lovely guy on oasis – just waiting for him to ask me out now…!! (yes, I know I can ask him but I need to be ladylike about some things!!)

Oasis is quite good as you have to send a contact request rather than just receiving random messages from weirdo’s
  • vintagebrighton
    Options
    newcook wrote: »
    Im also on the ‘hunt’ for a man! Most of my friends are married with kids and we all have the same circle of friends who are also all married off so I have had to turn to internet dating!

Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn’t – the other week I was at a wedding for a couple who met on Match.
    Earlier in the year I was invited to a wedding for a couple from POF
    Im currently chatting to a lovely guy on oasis – just waiting for him to ask me out now…!! (yes, I know I can ask him but I need to be ladylike about some things!!)

Oasis is quite good as you have to send a contact request rather than just receiving random messages from weirdo’s

Like life really.......... I met someone on Guardian soulmates I dated for 2 years then met someone on OK Cupid who I'm still seeing 2 years later.... But, there was and is some complete dross out there. As long as you're sensible and trust your instincts it can work. Let's face it, there aren't many places for women of a certain age to meet people and IMO the internet's completely changed that. And it can be great fun :)
  • There_Goes_Trouble
    Options
    As far as I'm concerned the only good value dating sites are the free ones.

I've been chatting to a normal sounding bloke daily for a month - yes, I know it's too long but I was waiting for him to ask me out because I was a bit scared... anyway I finally asked him yesterday and - oh surprise surprise he hasn't replied!! He was online at the time because we were sending messages back and forth, and he always replied to messages by 5pm if we're not online at the same time. I suggested coffee, not marriage so I shouldn't have scared him off. Which means he's either a nutter, weirdo or married.

I'm feeling very jaded with it all, but since I haven't met anyone through 'normal' methods I guess I'll start again with another one if anyone shows any interest.
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I use PoF. and a little bit on Smooch, can't say i think much of either of them but they are free so all it's costing you is your time. I use to get disappointed when i'd sat down and wrote a chatty email and never even got a 'thanks but no thanks' now i realise it's not a personal thing, everyone complains they never get replies, both men and women.
    I'm writing to two at the moment, have talked for hours and hours to one of them on the phone about meeting but they're both about 100mls away.
    Ok we could meet but is it to far to build a relationship, realisticlly how often could you meet.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • Cat2011
    Cat2011 Posts: 481 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I've tried Match and PoF. Both were pretty good. Only had one particularly bad date and that's just because he was seriously boring. I've met some lovely people and had a couple of relationships. Never had any particularly dodgy contact from anyone either.
    Debt-free 27th July 2012!
  • purplegirluk1
    Options
    I went for PoF, I was aware that as it is a free site there would be a few undesirable men about. My experience was that you get a lot of contact from men, many messages a day but that a lot of them seem to be doing blanket messaging of all women on line or who have recently joined. I was lucky enough to hit it off with the first guy I got talking to and a few months later things are still going well. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, just be as wary of people as you would be if you were meeting them in real life.
  • lushplus4
    Options
    Well, thank you all for your replies. and the funny stories. To update you, I have joined Plenty of Fish, so far I have had quite a few emails etc, but none that particuarly take my fancy yet :D

However they are having a singles night next week local to where I live so I am teaming up with my friend and going along. How bad can it be? Has anyone out there found it to be good fun?

I was with Match.com over a year ago and always found it hard to hide my dissapointment when I went to meet some of the guys. It's like Christmas morning and opening a present you hate!! But some were very nice indeed :) just didn't work out.

I am finding it really difficult to meet nice single guys who are normal in my age group without going online, if I go into town I feel too old, if I sit in a cafe, I feel like billynomates so where are all the single men at the weekends?? Aged between 40-50. What hobby should I take up?
    PS. This is not an invitation for PMs, I just want a plan of action.
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    All the single men are in exactly the same place as the single women
    We're here asking where on earth do you go to meet a normal decent woman.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport