PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

May 2011 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• seductivesmile
    seductivesmile Posts: 102 Forumite
    Options
    Hi All,

I am feeling so chuffed with myself as it has been a no spend WEEK on groceries! last saturday all i bought was milk and some ham, apples and satsumas! i did spend tho, chippie tea for me and dad (he washed my car for me), then filled my car up with petrol... my goodness, a reciept for this time last year, filling up my tank was at least £15 cheaper! so all in all a cheap and happy week for me, i still have milk in the fridge and some decanted from the 4 pint into a smaller bottle in the freezer, i have all the stuff to make bread, but have loads of crackers, making some cakes for work on tues and have everything for that, going to cook one of the lovely pieces of beef in the freezer for use with crackers / sandwiches. Dad still has tata's from last years crops so he's told me to take some.
    So just gotta think what to have for meals this week, got a freezer full still, so hopefully more NSD's this forthcoming week!
    Have a good week all!!
    SS x
    Each day is a new beginning, look at what you have an be grateful for every tiny thing. You don't know when it may be taken away.
  • pepsi-kins
    pepsi-kins Posts: 95 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi All,
    I've had a very good week too in the No Spending dept, not as good as you Seductivesmile, but still pleased. I need to carry on in this vein to bring my annual spends back in line. I don't need to buy anything else for the coming week, apart from maybe some milk. I've got lots of apples that have gone past their best, so I've been searching the net for recipes, so tomorrow I am going to make maple syrup and pecan apple crumble (the recipe needs two egg yolks) so I thought with the left over whites I would have a go at apple charlotte later in the week. I haven't any cream or custard to have with it, so i'm going to make my own for the first time. Feeling very virtuous xx

Have a good week everyone xx
    2024 G/C £1030.51. Nectar - £ Morrison’s - £ Boots - £ Asda Rewards - £ Tesco - £
  • meanmarie
    meanmarie Posts: 5,328 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Spent €18.96 today on meat and spuds for dinner....had 2 extra men to feed as they were cutting down 2 old sycamore trees....never mind, lots of lovely timber for the winter should save me a few euro.

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
  • Milly-Ann-Molly
    Options
    Did my groceries shopping for next two weeks...now i am up to £157.16 I hope to come in under budget this month so fingers crossed. Although there are 3 weeks left til payday again :( Spent far too much in the pet shop setting up for our first rabbits, which we collect tomorrow.
    Make £/day March: £1490.85 / £310
    Quidco £3,143.16 NSD Mar:14
    2024 Road Kill £1
    March Sales of Excess £240.85
  • quintwins
    quintwins Posts: 5,179 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    few spends today £3 in lidl on 4 loafs of bread and some yogurts, and then £3 in iceland of burgers and baps which were suppose to be for tea but then the inlaws bought us chippy :D then £6 on a 20kg bag of spuds
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
  • destroyerofdebt2011
    destroyerofdebt2011 Posts: 286 Forumite
    edited 7 May 2011 at 11:58PM
    Options
    So far had a bit of a manic spendy few days but i have managed to get a supply of whoopsied dog worming tablets to last the year (only the boxes where damaged and still in date till the end of 2012). Also managed to get whoopsied cooked meat that will has so far done brekkie/lunch/ & dinner on 2 days and i still got the same again for a grand total of £2 will have to freeze some into portions so as to not let it go to waste. Also got £2 worth of button mushrooms for £0.40 and 8 snack sized sausage rolls for £0.55 the sausage rolls are in the freezer and should supplement with veg and potatoes to make 4 meals at least. the mushrooms i will be turning into cream of mushroom soup tomorrow as i also have cream to use up and will help me out for lunches during the month.

Spriggle... outcome was charity shops but highly dependant of the quality of goods people donate. Im lucky and in an area where its not unusual to find monsoon/next/oasis etc amongst the rails and even better they are normally in my size too! so far this year ive had a monsoon fusion summer tea dress £3.99, a pair of black trousers from the dearer stuff in mackays (cant remember the label now) £4.30 and a pair of faith purple court shoes never worn going by the soles for £6.99. Plus with charity shops you are always helping a good cause. In fact if the teal coloured handbag is still on the shelf next week i may be highly tempted to give the charity another £3 of my money(it still had the protective plastic coverings over the handles even).

Declaring total spend on gc as £29.43 to date
    HSBC [STRIKE]£3223.20[/STRIKE] £2060.00
    Cap1 [STRIKE]£1724.91[/STRIKE] £1782.00
    OD [STRIKE]£939.78[/STRIKE] £200.00
    No 49 of £2012 in 2012.. £645.10 so far & Crazy Clothes £14.09/£100.00 ReducingtheToiletryStash2012 UU12/IN 20 March Grocery 0.00/£65.00 & LbsNot£s Lost 14Lbs
  • sistercas
    sistercas Posts: 4,803 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    seductivesmile/ pepsikins well done on a ns week :T i could never do that i always seem to be shopping :o

dod2011 good cs finds well done , last year i picked up a couple of per una skirts for £4 each but thats about it, ive stopped looking now as ive put a bit of weight on :o and i am not buying a bigger size :cool:

it will be a nsd day today ,not even sure im going to get dressed ;)

need to rummage in the freezer for lunch , probably be sausages
  • dibblersan
    dibblersan Posts: 588 Forumite
    Options
    good morning,

just sent my email to tesco customer services asking why my £5 points voutcher wasn't credited. I'm on a computer most of the time but this is the first time since the 3rd I've not been doing a thousand other things so I hope they don't make a fuss it's been a couple of days.

I'm also not happy now I sat down and looked at it about a gammon they sub'd. I was assured by the driver that it wouldn't be more expensive than the gammon I ordered, and it's not- £7, not £13, but it's also much. much smaller.

the one I ordered was on offer at 3.99 a kg and I wanted a 3.3kg one - £13.16 if dead to weight.

I was under the impression that it worked the way it worked instore and if it was a lighter one then it would still be the same per kg.

they delivered a 1.5kg one for £7.60 rather than the pro rata rate of 5.80 - this to me means it's nearly £2 more expensive.

is that just me?

if they sub an item then it's a bit silly to say it's not more expensive when it's half the size and more than half the cost - shouldn't they have sent 2 at 1.5 to make up the weight to what I wanted then charged the cost of the 3kg one?

/annoyance

it's sunday - I'm going to have a pajama day!
    One of the hardest of all life lessons is this:

Just because I feel bad doesn’t necessarily mean someone else is doing something wrong.

Just because I feel good doesn’t necessarily mean what I am doing is right.
  • looie
    looie Posts: 706 Forumite
    Options
    £5.50 to add to total - £1.47 on cup of soups for work and £4.00 on yogurts from mozza's.

Raining here this morning and I was going to my mum and dad's to help plant their tomato plants into some wooden troughs my dad has made. Bought some plastic to line them so they should be a lot better than last year, they dried out too quick so this will help keep them moist.

Back to the grocery budget, really going to have to use things up I'm half way through the budget but not half way the month. I just need to get into the cooking from scratch mood :D
  • 123budget
    123budget Posts: 171 Forumite
    Options
    Spent yesterday eve in the kitchen (in between watching britains got talent) used up all the bread crusts I had frozen and made a large tray of bread pudding and made 4 lots of shortcrust pastry to freeze for use at a later date.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 2011 / no. 1205 £110 made]Sealed Pot Challenge 2012/no 1205 target £300
    Jan g/c 355.83/£450
    g/c Feb487.66/£400
    March 411.03/£450
    To feed 5 adults and 2 dogs includes toiletries & cleanining
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business