PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

May 2011 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• CRANKY40
    CRANKY40 Posts: 5,773 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just added up my receipts and £45.40 spent for me this week. Today after we have all our visits and vistors out of the way I need to make some SW fruit cake (uses grated carrot and tastes ok, honest) and some SW friendly burgers (recipe from SW thread courtesey of MrsMc). The cake will use up some of the mincemeat left over from Christmas when I didn't make many mince pies because I was feeling too tubby. I have liberated my burger press from the back of a cupboard, so the burgers shouldn't be too strenuous either. Will have to wait then for the return of the BBQ weather to test them on friends.
  • hex2
    hex2 Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    flat eric, if it comes in liquid then transfer that to your tub as well and it will be fine.
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need' Marcus Tullius Cicero
  • Rowan9
    Rowan9 Posts: 2,208 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Counted up receipts and have spent £45. Need to sit down and make a meal plan as when I do this, I really save money on groceries.
    Off to make soup even though the forecast is good!
    W
  • Catslovelycats
    Catslovelycats Posts: 1,749 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    OK
    £27.52 spent so far this week.
    Lots of whoopsies for guinea pigs AND me last night!
  • highland_fling_2
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    sorry haven't been posting much lately. Lots of health issues with myself and family members.
    Will try to keep up better this month.

Mrs. Mc could you put Highland Fling down for £120 for May GC please.
    It takes a long time to eat an elephant and I'm doing it a bite at a time!!!
  • WelshWoofer
    WelshWoofer Posts: 5,076 Forumite
    Options
    Been to Mr T's and the greengrocers this morning and have managed to spend £39 in the supermarket and £9 on F&V. That's a total of £48 - £3 over budget :( but I did get extra toiletries that will come in for next week as they were on offer and a mini restock of the vegetarian frozen stuff for me (burgers, quorn fillets, quorn meatballs).

I did get some of the 9p pasta too - it said 18p on the shelf but went through the till at 9p still - only got 2 packets this time as I still have 3 packets in. Its perfectly ok - I can't tell any difference between that and the expensive stuff.

A small bargain too - 6 free range eggs from the greengrocers for 50p.
  • Long_tall_sally
    Long_tall_sally Posts: 1,086 Forumite
    Options
    Well even though I couldn't think of anything we needed the other day, of course I managed to think of lots of things a day or two later! So another £70 odd spent! I am however only at 43% spent of budget so far with 12 days gone so 40% with 18 days left. Not going anywhere today but might need to get some veg tomorrow for dinner. So still not tooo bad!
    Grocery aim £450pm.Spent £519 August, £584 July, £544 June, £541 May, £549 April, £517 March, £517 Feb,£555 Jan, £573 Dec, £465Nov, £561Oct, £493Sept, £426Aug,£496 Jul, £528Jun, £506May,£498April, £558 March, £500Feb, £500 Jan, £490 Dec, £555 Nov,£566 Oct, £505Sept, £450Aug, £410 July, £437 June, £491 May, £471 April, £440 March, £552Feb, £462Jan
  • Billie-jo
    Billie-jo Posts: 1,221 Forumite
    Options
    Flat_Eric wrote: »
    Out of interest, I bought some feta cheese which had a use by date of July but once opened it says you need to use it within 3 days - this isn't going to be possible for me. I have put it in one of those lock n lock boxes so I am hoping this will keep it (fresh?) but in any event, will it be fine to eat after 3 days?

Yes feta cheese can be frozen and it will taste the same when defrosted but the texture sometimes alters a little bit - still nice though.

Mainly brought fruit & veg today spent £19.49 did get a lot though - leeks, carrots, cabbage, cucumber, celery, tomatoes, kiwis, pineapple, strawberries and grapes.
    Cant think of anything that we need now until at least Tuesday -:rotfl:
    MARCH £62.38/250
  • Pinwheel
    Pinwheel Posts: 90 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi everyone
    I haven't had a chance to read or post for ages again. We've had rain today which the garden really needed, but it's a bit miserable after all the beautiful sunshine we've had! Just updated signature, had a big Te**o delivery and a few little C**p and Sa***burys top ups. £60ish to last until 26th, it's going to be tight again - oh well I am trying.
    Best wishes to all
    PWx
    June 2022 GC £372.89/£400
    May 2022 GC £439.33/£400

• kerrypn
    kerrypn Posts: 1,233 Forumite
    Options
    Spent £1.43 today-49p on a big bag of whoopsied potatoes still perfect :D 35p on whoopsied fresh green beans and 59p on whoopsied pork pies as a treat for lunch :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure