PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

May 2011 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Milly-Ann-Molly
    Milly-Ann-Molly Posts: 519 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 8 May 2011 at 7:57PM
    Options
    Another spendy day. I needed cash and hate to pay £1.89 cashpoint charge in our village so instead I have to spend £5 to get cashback from the local store...This months spend now up to £164.58 already!!! I do hope tomorrow is an NSD and the next day...:)
    Make £/day March: £1490.85 / £310
    Quidco £3,143.16 NSD Mar:14
    2024 Road Kill £1
    March Sales of Excess £240.85
  • dibblersan
    dibblersan Posts: 588 Forumite
    Options
    I'm having such a wonderful day that I wanted to tell you - all the nice new people that i've met - that i love you all.

the sun is shinning, scones have cooked wonderfully (i made half gm and cheese and the other half marmalade and sultana), soup tastes ok (needs some salt or spice) and all is good with the world - or atleast my little bit of it.
    One of the hardest of all life lessons is this:

Just because I feel bad doesn’t necessarily mean someone else is doing something wrong.

Just because I feel good doesn’t necessarily mean what I am doing is right.
  • charlie792
    charlie792 Posts: 1,744 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 8 May 2011 at 9:01PM
    Options
    Hi, Im new to this thread. I need to reduce our overall shopping budget and realistically have a figure in mind that is affordable, however I have no idea how this compares to how much I actually usually spend a month because Ive never actually properly added it up because my shopping spend really varies each week (anywhere from under £30 to over £60):o

Realistically my TOTAL budget is £160 a month for 2 adults (including our lunches as OH works nearby and Im currently out of work) but this needs to include all the household items such as loo roll, essential toiletries and things too, If I could get this to £120 though I would be very happy :)

Last week I spent £28 on shopping but we had a lot of leftovers and we ate out a fair bit last week due to various events (OHs birthday, takeway etc) so actually in reality the overall spend on food was probably more than our monthly budget etc :eek: but for now Ill count the £28 as part of the shopping budget for this month. We shop on Monday nights so tomorrow shall be the next shop but we need to get a lot items this week so I imagine its going to come to a fair bit.

Im stuck in a serious rut with the meals we eat at the moment and although I try to cook from scratch when I can, Ive become uncreative and we tend to eat the same meals every single week so this I need to change too so shall try and come up with some meal plans - although I have no idea where to begin!
    MFW 2020 #111 Offset Balance £69,394.80/ £69,595.11
    Aug 2014 £114,750 -35 yrs (2049)
    Sept 2016 £104,800
    Nov 2018 £82,500 -24 yrs (2042)

• espresso21
    espresso21 Posts: 196 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry, haven't been on here for a couple of days as I have been horribly busy and very tired too. At night I just seem to collapse into bed.
    I sold my first item ever on eBay today so that made me feel positive and earnt me £25! Nothing else exciting to report - spent the whole weekend cleaning house and now I have some work to do before I go to bed. And I have the tube strikes to deal with this week - that should make commuting in London even more of a nightmare.
    Hope you're all doing well and enjoying the warmer weather!
  • Long_tall_sally
    Long_tall_sally Posts: 1,086 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Charlie792, welcome. If you look at the first page of this thread, there is lots of scrummy recipes that people have submitted which should give you some inspiration. Keep a hold of all receipts to get an idea of how much you currently spend and then start trying to cut back a little each month. Also do a stock check of your cupboards & freezer - you'll probably be surprised how many meals you could actually make just from there. (Hark at me the expert who very rarely achieves her own target, lol!)

Expresso21 - well done on your 1st ebay sale - I remember how pleased I was a few months ago on mine. I have been listing all evening & bored stiff with it now!
    I did go to the Co Op today & although I spent nearly £18, I am still pleased that I went as I seem to time it just right & got quite a few bargains particularly on fruit & veg & yogurts. Will update signature now.
    Grocery aim £450pm.Spent £519 August, £584 July, £544 June, £541 May, £549 April, £517 March, £517 Feb,£555 Jan, £573 Dec, £465Nov, £561Oct, £493Sept, £426Aug,£496 Jul, £528Jun, £506May,£498April, £558 March, £500Feb, £500 Jan, £490 Dec, £555 Nov,£566 Oct, £505Sept, £450Aug, £410 July, £437 June, £491 May, £471 April, £440 March, £552Feb, £462Jan
  • welshkaz
    welshkaz Posts: 288 Forumite
    Options
    Evening all can i please rejoin the challenge i know its mega late in the month to join but i cant go another 3 weeks spending and not saving its getting me down badly my budget at mo is £280 a month but would like to reduce it this weeks shop came to £60 so il start there £60/£280 i dont mind not being added as it is late for this months challenge but i have a base line and can keep an eye from here on in hope everyone is doing ok xx
    may groc challenge £167/£280...
  • hannah:-)_2
    hannah:-)_2 Posts: 243 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 8 May 2011 at 10:36PM
    Options
    Not been on for a few days - last three days of last week were spendy, no spendy, spendy respectively. Am quite pleased with that as I feel I'm pacing myself for the month :D However, having bought the month's animal food and some groceries, my spend so far is now 76.93 which leaves frighteningly little for the rest of the month. Fortunately I'm on holiday for the last week of the month and everything is all inclusive so not too long to last on the remaining £23.07 of budget :eek:

Today has been my little sis's birthday, and was another spendy day, but not by much and not from my grocery budget, so still :)ing.

Right, now off to catch up with the last few days of posts :D
    Official DFW nerd 187 :T Highest debt Oct 06 £23,319 _pale_ Cleared end 09. :T
    Student again now and trying to fight the debts that are creeping up again :eek:
  • CupOfChai
    CupOfChai Posts: 1,411 Forumite
    edited 8 May 2011 at 11:35PM
    Options
    Added a little more on from my top-up shop for next week. I'm going to go over budget again :(. The only reason I can think of why I am is that the Co-op really is that bit more expensive that it is affecting my spending total, but I have no other real option for getting what I go there for.

On the plus side, my overall spending for the month is looking good so far. Hoping/trying to last the rest of the month spending less than the £40 cash I have, nothing very expensive planned so fingers crossed! That doesn't include the "big shop" I'll do near the end of the month for next month's things, as I take that as part of next month's funds.
  • Mothership
    Mothership Posts: 823 Forumite
    Options
    Had a good shop at M&S they had an offer on Chicken (I like Oakham Chicken) and desert (two strawberry trifles) for £5 I bought 2 also one of the 3 for £5 deli deals and 2 for £3 veg. Balance before saving £29.54 total spend £18.10 saving £11.44.
    I'm a member of a bowling club and I helped with the catering yesterday, I made a HUGE pot of soup there was some left so I brought it home, it was made with the Donald Russell stock bones and is absolutely yummy, I had a bowl for breakfast and another for dinner lol. And there's about 3 litres left.
    I've been run off my feet (I do B&B), thats why I've not been on for a while, (I've missed you all).
    My guests for the last week or so didn't eat all the food I'd bought for them, so we have to eat it, mostly fruit, yoghurts, bread, milk, bacon, eggs, mushrooms, tomatoes etc. So I haven't had to buy anything other than my M&S spend today. This is a bit weird for me not buying much, and I wont need to for a while, the cupboards/freezers and fridges are full to bursting.

I woke up in the wee hours to get some pain killers, I think I've got another ear infection, I couldn't get back to sleep, so I thought I'd catch up with all your posts :) I hope you are all well and happy.
    I've still not heard anything about my mothers funeral, don't know if its taken place, no one has contacted me to let me know, the last I heard from my sister was she was expecting to move house soon, so I think that may be the reason + the newborn twins. She died on the 16th of March, could she possibly still be in the queue, she died in London?
    1st Purse £114.19 Monthly GB
    2nd Purse ££100
    :rotfl::j:wave::j:rotfl:
    Fridge Freezer £300 3rd Purse /£290.94
  • tootoo
    tootoo Posts: 681 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Gosh this thread moves so quick! Been a little absent, but still really trying.....! Have spent £99 on Mr T's delivery.
    I have to get until the end of next week with around £5, so will really try to stick to this should only need bread and milk!
    Tootoo
    MFW.....Apr 33 Aim - Dec 26
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family