Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

May 2011 Grocery Challenge - Page 37

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

May 2011 Grocery Challenge

edited 29 April 2011 at 3:42PM in Old Style MoneySaving
945 replies 79.8K views

Replies

• dibblersandibblersan Forumite
    588 posts
    Mothership wrote: »
    I woke up in the wee hours to get some pain killers, I think I've got another ear infection, I couldn't get back to sleep, so I thought I'd catch up with all your posts :) I hope you are all well and happy.
    I've still not heard anything about my mothers funeral, don't know if its taken place, no one has contacted me to let me know, the last I heard from my sister was she was expecting to move house soon, so I think that may be the reason + the newborn twins. She died on the 16th of March, could she possibly still be in the queue, she died in London?

very sorry about your ear. I get loads of ear infections and find a hot bath followed by a careful swab out and a thourough dry can help - that and staying well hydrated so my body can fight.

I'm also very very sorry to hear about your mother - i assume this was mentioned earlier.

my uncle died some 6 or 7 years ago now, and it took 3 full weeks for him to be buried. It was a combination of it being october and the ground being cold and my mother not wanting to hurry as they were very close.

if your sister is occupied with the move it's very likely that she's asked the funeral parler to hold on a little while. less likely in the middle of london than the outback of ireland, but if she's moving then still likely.
    One of the hardest of all life lessons is this:

Just because I feel bad doesn’t necessarily mean someone else is doing something wrong.

Just because I feel good doesn’t necessarily mean what I am doing is right.
  • Sue14Sue14 Forumite
    987 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Just another £1.15 spent on bread, I would normally go for a cheaper one or make my own, but as I was working on Saturday I asked OH to buy a loaf, and he bought it in Mr T's garage shop, so not as much choice.

One good thing about my car still being out of action is I'm not tempted to go shopping, as I can't be bothered with the half hour each way walk to the shops, (especially as it's all uphill coming back, which is a nightmare with heavy bags of shopping) and as getting a bus round here costs at least £2 to go one stop I'm not doing that either, so I've just been using what we have, but if we need anything I'll get OH to pick it up as he works in a supermarket. Hoping to have my car back later this week.
    Weight loss challenge 2/10lbs

• dibblersandibblersan Forumite
    588 posts
    just had a bit of a conversation with a lady from tesco.

I say a bit of a conversation because she hung up on me.

just getting into work and my mobile rings and it's tesco. bit odd as I would have expected them to email me and i don't really like being called - may remove my number.

discussed my order (a couple of the bags of pasta had split - but with 44 of them that's not a problem for me - and one of the loves of bread had ripped and gone half stale before i noticed and one loaf was missing)

ended up with a refund for £5.50 for one missing loaf of bread and a missing voutcher off my order.

then went on to discuss the pork.

nice lady from tesco: yes, but that's how we do it. it was price matched against your origional order and it's not more expensive

me: yes but what you're doing is you're turning round and saying we'll send you one half the size that's more expensive and we say it's not more expensive than the one you ordered. half the size for not half the price.

*phone disconnects*

now, fine if i'd been shouting or effing off, but when YOU'VE called someone at your conveniance, not theirs, hanging up?

she could have said at any point - sorry it was a problem, but that's the policey, click no subs next time.

couldn't she?
    One of the hardest of all life lessons is this:

Just because I feel bad doesn’t necessarily mean someone else is doing something wrong.

Just because I feel good doesn’t necessarily mean what I am doing is right.
  • rachbcrachbc Forumite
    4.5K posts
    Bit of a pricey on this time - partly as had to buy washing liquid and cat food but mainly due to wanting lots of 'treats' after doing the Live Below the Line challenge - got lots of fresh fruit and veg which is what I missed most inc all the unseasonal expensive stuff I usually avoid!

£30.45 in aldi and £38.83 in asda

But bes of all £6 on a trug FULL of freshly picked aspargus grown just round the corner - meal plan out the window til its all used up! Love it and this is so fresh dd and I were just munching sticks of it raw on the way home!
    People seem not to see that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • edited 9 May 2011 at 9:18AM
    charlie792charlie792 Forumite
    1.7K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    edited 9 May 2011 at 9:18AM
    Hi Charlie792, welcome. If you look at the first page of this thread, there is lots of scrummy recipes that people have submitted which should give you some inspiration. Keep a hold of all receipts to get an idea of how much you currently spend and then start trying to cut back a little each month. Also do a stock check of your cupboards & freezer - you'll probably be surprised how many meals you could actually make just from there. (Hark at me the expert who very rarely achieves her own target, lol!)

Thanks for the welcome and advice :)

At the moment there is nothing in the freezer except a bag of mixed veg :o
    Our freezer is pretty tiny so tend to avoid frozen foods where we can, I tend to only freeze things Ive bought fresh and I need to stop them doing out of date etc

Cupboard wise is somewhat a sorry state too in all honesty - I tend to only buy what I need each week, unless its cheaper to buy a multipack etc so apart from all the usual condiments all I have in my cupboard is packs of pasta, rice and spaghetti

Fridge - Out of date milk, bad lettuce and a block of cheese

Mondays are always the worst as we shop Monday night so everything is a little bare at the moment :o

I always find it really hard to choose new meals, partly because I just don't know what to pick and partly because Im so worried it turning out horribly :(. I wouldn't say Im a bad cook but Im very self concious about my cooking, if it was just for me then I wouldn't be bothered but Im always worried about cooking something OH ends up hating....

I need two new meals for this week - one to replace the usual Tuesday night pizza and lettuce (which to be honest we both hate with a passion) and another to replace a takeaway (which we only eat because we have nothing else at home)

Have had a quick look at the recipes at the beginning of the thread and fancy trying a carbonara. I would try and make more dishes with chicken but its so expensive unless I buy a whole one and I don't know what to do with it - I know how to cook it, just not how to use it in meals IYKWIM as I always use the uncooked breasts normally
    MFW 2020 #111 Offset Balance £69,394.80/ £69,595.11
    Aug 2014 £114,750 -35 yrs (2049)
    Sept 2016 £104,800
    Nov 2018 £82,500 -24 yrs (2042)

• Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • edited 9 May 2011 at 9:51AM
    ragz_2ragz_2 Forumite
    3.2K posts
    edited 9 May 2011 at 9:51AM
    Tesco shop yesterday (wanted to do Morrisons but was the wrong direction), got £49 spend down to £39 with £4 off voucher and £6 clubcard vouchers.
    Sugar has gone up! We usually get the Billingtons demerera for £1.39 (cheaper than tesco and morrisons own for some reason) and it's now £1.99 in tesco so I will check Morrisons to see if theirs is still cheaper. DH won't have white sugar and I'm not keen either.

Value penne was still 9p so I got 5!
    Noticed that 500g cartons of passata at 29p are cheaper than value tins of tomatoes at 33p so I got some of both, can use the passata instead of tins when I want a smooth sauce.

Dibblersan I would call back and speak to someone else. Explain you were hung up on and that you still want a refund. Keep calling and speaking to different people until you get what you want!

Charlie792 check the Mealplan thread to see what everyone else it eating and get some ideas from there!
    Ragz is busy studying ;)
    Progress is easier to acheive than perfection.
  • Winged_oneWinged_one Forumite
    610 posts
    I spent €98 over the weekend. €38 in SV on groceries, then €37 on 6 bottles of wine in SV, €2 in Lidl (2 packs of breakfast mushrooms), another €14 in SV last night on sliced pan, cereal and coffee, and DH spent about €6 in SV on Sat am on a breakfast roll, bread and the papers.

I have enough meat to do the week, between Fri's spend and freezer. I need a few bits yet, but will get those tonight. It was just a manic weekend, and quite disorganised as OH left for 4 weeks for work, and an au-pair arrived too. Luckily, all she seems to want extra is instant coffee (we don't drink that much coffee at home so use ground).

I haven't even thought about meal planning this week. I know we will have pork tonight - I will cut 2 chops into pieces for a stir fry, with a load of veggies. Otherwise, I'll plan daily this week I think - to see what AP likes, and what I have the energy for creating. And I can't do a spag bol with the mince in freezer, as neighbours did that yesterday and invited us over (they have a Spanish AP too, so it was great for the 2 of them to meet each other and have an outlet, and someone who understands everything, straight away).

So I am sure I will go over this month after all, but hump it, occasionally I have to admit defeat. I DID rustle up the energy to make my lunch for today (I was almost going to give in to McD's), and have my salad including leaves and radishes from the garden. And I haven't put in my €5 spend on Leonidas orangettes this morning, as that was from my "weekly funds" for food in the office, papers, coffees, and emergency chocolate instead of a great big howling session (cos OH is away and I just want a hug that things are going OK - I know they are, but hugs are always helpful).
    GC 2010 €6,000/ €5,897

GC 2011:Overall Target: €6,000/
    €5,442 by October

Back on the wagon again in 2014
    Apr €587.82/€550 May €453.31 /€550
  • SavingJaneSavingJane Forumite
    2.3K posts
    Reporting in my spends of the day

£7.59 on baby milk in Bo0ts (just another 3 months till he can have cows milk and reduce the cost of his milk)

£8.21 at L!dl, made mistake of getting baking potatoes only needed 3 but cost nearly a £ for them wasn't too pleased with myself on that one. Did include 3 packs of penguin cake bars for OH's lunch which will be 6 weeks worth (they was back down to 99p from £1.49 they are his treat)

So off to update sig
    Mummy to Lewis Born Aug 10
  • quintwinsquintwins Forumite
    5.2K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    NSD today, not much going on here this week and hopefully not too much spending i'm going to try avoid the sm til the end of next week, all i need before then is milk and bread anyway so i can grab those from the shop near the kids school

tea today is just gonna be nice simple mince and taties (cause i forgot to lift anything else out)
    DEC GC £151.80/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
  • hannah:-)_2hannah:-)_2 Forumite
    243 posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    dibblersan wrote: »
    just had a bit of a conversation with a lady from tesco.

I say a bit of a conversation because she hung up on me.

just getting into work and my mobile rings and it's tesco. bit odd as I would have expected them to email me and i don't really like being called - may remove my number.

discussed my order (a couple of the bags of pasta had split - but with 44 of them that's not a problem for me - and one of the loves of bread had ripped and gone half stale before i noticed and one loaf was missing)

ended up with a refund for £5.50 for one missing loaf of bread and a missing voutcher off my order.

then went on to discuss the pork.

nice lady from tesco: yes, but that's how we do it. it was price matched against your origional order and it's not more expensive

me: yes but what you're doing is you're turning round and saying we'll send you one half the size that's more expensive and we say it's not more expensive than the one you ordered. half the size for not half the price.

*phone disconnects*

now, fine if i'd been shouting or effing off, but when YOU'VE called someone at your conveniance, not theirs, hanging up?

she could have said at any point - sorry it was a problem, but that's the policey, click no subs next time.

couldn't she?

Dibblersan - if I were you I'd contact them again and say sorry but your complaint is not resolved. Explain why you're not happy and ask them to look at it again for you. Also explain what happened during the call, but give them the benefit of the doubt saying don't know if she hung up or somehow got disconnected. At worst, you'll get the same response as last time, but you might just get a better answer.

I used to work in complaints and if the customer came back to say they weren't happy, we'd often do something more. So now I'm forever asking for my complaint to be looked at again or passed to a manager for another look - sometimes nothing changes, but quite often it gets sorted second time round. Can't hurt, right?
    Official DFW nerd 187 :T Highest debt Oct 06 £23,319 _pale_ Cleared end 09. :T
    Student again now and trying to fight the debts that are creeping up again :eek: