PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

February 2011 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• karmachilovething
    Options
    When I used to eat more red meat, I would also make meatballs with half beef and half pork mince. They were delicious. Delia does a version in a goulash sauce that looks good.

I can vouch for Delia's meatball recipe, although the version I know is from the good ol' Complete Cookery Course and is cooked in tomato sauce.

I used to make these with my Mum, one person rolling one frying. Once they're fried you can freeze them and then when you want to eat them put them in a dish in the oven under tomato sauce (or just a tin of chopped toms works too) and bake (covered) 180 for about 1 - 1.5 hrs. In fact you can leave them there while without any damage!

I started my Feb budget when I was paid last week (phew was I glad for that after January!) so I need to check my receipts but off the top of my head:

£28 in Co0p general shop (should do store cupboard for the month)
    £12 on veg box
    £3 on local honey (mmmm)
    £3.86 on bits in Asd@ this morning.

So current total £46.86 :eek:. Eek, better pull my socks up for the rest of the month!

OK, blitz the mushroom soup and off to bed!
    Total debt: [STRIKE]£9473.62[/STRIKE] £7,384.87 22% PAID
    TAF #25 NSD 8/12 | Food £43.45/£50 | eBay 0/20 | Exercise 5/18
    :T Proud to be Dealing with my Debt :T
    DFD: June 2015
  • Hippeechiq
    Hippeechiq Posts: 1,103 Forumite
    Options
    weezl74 wrote: »

I also have a question about the Khicheri recipe in the index of this thread http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/creamylentilandriced_86573 has anyone made this? I am just a bit confused about the portion size and would very much like to make it! It says 35g of rice and lentils per person. We normally have 125g rice per person here :o so I'm just wondering if this is a lunchtime portion and I will need to do a 3 times bigger amount per person IYSWIM?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!
    Hello & Welcome Weezl :hello: As you know, I'm no expert, but 35g of rice is a very small amount - we usually have 100g per person. My instinct would be to triple amounts, as you've suggested :)
    salski wrote: »
    Just found a fab recipe for tonights chops - coat them in egg, then in sage and onion stuffing and grill! Having that with boiled spuds and sweetcorn! Sounds yummy to me ;)
    Ooooh - that sounds a but yum! Was is nice? I might have to give that one a go myself. Thanks for sharing :)

I've already started Feb budget - spent just over £25 mostly on meat, that I wanted to buy while on offer, and which I have to hump home in my backpack in a 1½ mile round trip on foot - so I've done 3 trips already, and another planned tomorrow before the offer on the chicken breast ends that I've been waiting to be on offer since November! lol

Good Luck for Feb everyone :)
    Aug11 £193.29/£240

Oct10 £266.72 /£275 Nov10 £276.71/£275 Dec10 £311.33 / £275 Jan11 £242.25/ £250 Feb11 £243.14/ £250 Mar11 £221.99/ £230
    Apr11 £237.39 /£240 May11 £237.71/£240 Jun11 £244.03/ £240 July11 £244.89/ £240
    Xmas 2011 Fund £220
  • bertiebots
    bertiebots Posts: 1,433 Forumite
    edited 1 February 2011 at 12:34AM
    Options
    Jamie Oliver does. ;) I also found this recipe while trying to find the previous which looks really yummy - Spaghetti with sausage meatballs

When I used to eat more red meat, I would also make meatballs with half beef and half pork mince. They were delicious. Delia does a version in a goulash sauce that looks good.[/QUOTE]

Thanks that is just what I was looking for :T:D Thanks for all the other suggestions too will be having a go..think there is some frozen puff pastry lurking somewhere under all the sausage meat!
    JAN GC- £155.77 out of £200:D FEB GC £197.31 out of £180:o. MARCH GC - out of £200
  • leeds1947
    Options
    Been to Al-i today and spent £51 which should be all I need until next Monday.This challenge has really made me think carefully about all I spend and that makes me feel happy as I know I am living within my means ,managing to save alittle and clear my credit card debt. I am un CONTROL of my spending whooo!
  • lizziebabe
    lizziebabe Posts: 1,115 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm not actually starting until the 1st officially but will need to get a few things tomorrow :eek:

I have had a look at the recipes in this thread and some look great for stock cupboard stuff. Last November I ran down and then restocked my freezer, so I have loads of things in there to use up.

I defrosted some meat tonight but didn't put a label on the package (I tend to buy a pack of meat and separate it into portions) so don't know what it is :D
    I will see what it looks and smells like when it has fully defrosted - Can you tell the difference between pork and lamb? I guess pork is lighter in colour.

Also will make soup for lunch every day. I started to do this before and it made me save so much money and I felt I ate better as they were veggie soups.

I only use skimmed milk so will buy quite a few long life packets as they are cheaper and will save me from popping to the shops and spending more on other things.

Have also started using the bread maker again - although when I buy a loaf I have to split it into 4/6 slices and freeze it as I don't like to eat too much bread in a week.

I need to save money to get my new boiler fitted - I have already bought it, but need to pay the plumber to fit it. So, the less I spend the sooner I will get it in :j

I am always on the look out for whoopsies - and try to get my veg at the market as it seems to be cheaper. But not always so, especially with the deals now. I don't mind buying in bulk as I make the soup. The fridge I have got seems to keep veggies for ages and even when they are going - they are usually fine for soup.

Wishing everyone a good February :A
  • castri09_2
    Options
    hi can you put me down for £60 this month trying to use up the stuff in the freezers
    :j
  • Cheapskate
    Cheapskate Posts: 1,757 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Morning all
    Please can you put me down for £350 for February? Last month was absolutely rubbish, in all respects, so am going to try MUCH harder this month!
    Got some stuff in cupboards/freezer and going to have to delegate some jobs to others in the family so I've actually got time to cook properly!
    Off to read a few threads to get me back on the rails.
    A xo
    Jan 2021 GC £11.70/£300
    2021 mission declutter& clean 53/2021
    Jan NSD 7/31
  • scotsaver
    scotsaver Posts: 824 Forumite
    Options
    Hi everyone - I've decided that I won't be taking part in the 2nd Purse idea. I've looked at what we buy month to month and what's left in the cupboards/freezer, the majority of what we buy is bought when it's on BOGOF, L!dl's half price offers, extra quantity etc etc and this is how I'm able to keep my GC at £250, otherwise I reckon I would be spending nearer £400.

There are certain products that we buy and only buy them when they are on special offer like Cheese, ke!!ogs, tea bags, coffee, baked beans, toi!et roll, marg etc etc so I would constantly be juggling around with money to top up the 2nd purse. Anyway, enough waffle from me, hope you can all see where I'm coming from and good luck to those that are going to take part.:D

Must have spoken too soon on Sunday when I said we had enough fruit and veg to last past the middle of the week - the last banana has just been taken by my OH for his packed lunch and there is only 1 clementine left in the bowl - there are 10 granny smith's left, 5 red apples, 6 blood oranges and 5 yellow plums left but I've been told we have to have Bananas.

I shouldn't complain really as I know it's good for them so I shall venture to the shop later and make sure I only buy Bananas. I WILL ONLY BUY BANANAS, I WILL ONLY BUY BANANAS, if I say it often enough it will hopefully work.:o

Dinner tonight is Sausages, mash, carrots, cabbage and loads of gravy, may make some Yorkies to go with it so I don't need to make them a Pud.:p The Sausages are from the Freezer, Sa!nsbugs taste the d!fference, bought whoopsied last month. Still trying to make space in the Freezer, getting there slowly but surely.

Have a good day everyone.;)
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• weezl74
    weezl74 Posts: 8,701 Forumite
    edited 1 February 2011 at 8:00AM
    Options
    bertiebots wrote: »
    J
    In the mean time does anyone make meatballs with pork sausage meat ?( quite like the idea but dont want to bawls it up lol!)..thanks to a super sainsbugs sale I have four or five packets of the stuff rolling around in my freezer , and apart from sausage rolls I am drawing a blank on what to use it for- (but couldnt resist the 30-odd pence price tag at the time:o)
    I would be very grateful for any cheap and cheerful suggestions;) Thanks.

A very cheap and cheerful suggestion would be to make it into Toad in the hole, Nigella rolls small balls of sausage meat, and bakes them then pours batter around them, instead of sausages, it makes the meat go further, and it feels as though you are having more 'toad' and less 'hole' V nice with wedges and onion gravy :)

Hiya Hippeeechiq :) and also to others who have welcomed me :) yes I agree about the khicheri and have made a giant batch to suit our appetites :D

:hello:Jonathan 'Fergie' Fergus William, born 05/03/09, 7lb 4.4oz:hello:
    :)Benjamin 'Kezzie' Kester Jacob, born 18/03/10, 7lb 5oz:)
    cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
    january grocery challenge, feed 4 of us for £40
  • kippers
    kippers Posts: 2,057 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 1 February 2011 at 8:02AM
    Options
    Morning all

I'm sorry i haven't read through yesterdays posts yet, but i will do later.

I didn't post yesterday as it was a bit of a nightmare day....my dd1 was off school with tummy ache feeling sick, but she was ok later, my DH spent most of the day in A&E as he was sorting cables under his desk and then tried to stand up thinking he was out from under his desk and banged his head and split it open:eek::eek:he had to have it 'glued'...also my toilet blocked!...i decided to do a trial with toilet paper this month and as Andrex was on offer, i decided to compare it to the tesco value rolls we usually use....obviously it's thicker as it blocked our toilet...i used caustic soda and lots of boiling hot water and eventually managed to unblock it....also my dd2 decided to go round her friends house straight after school without telling me, so i was ringing all her friends houses to find out where she was...she did get told off....what a day!

So after the day...we did have a chinese:(but that comes out of a different budget.

Anyway, today is a new day and it WILL be a good one. Tonight i am making a chicken pie (left over chicken from Sunday) and i have some carrots and swede in the fridge and i'll roast some parsnips and potatoes. If i get to my allotment i'll also pick some curley kale.

I need to update my signature as i bought some bits and bobs at the weekend...where does time go?

Have a good day.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport