PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

June 2009 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    hello...blimey its hot here...lovely bbq weather...we have got chicken portions for tea though as they are defrosting ...might put bbq sauce on them and marinade a bit before roasting them...on the subject of marinating i put portions of chicken some fresh thyme and the juice of a lemon and dropped in freezer...the defrosted and the roast chicken was lovely...lemony and thymey (funnily enough)

the aldi super 6 are fab for june...peaches cherries pineapple kiwi melons plums...i got a pack of all of them (2 of the cherries).. 49p each...bargain i thought....i noticed as well that they still had butternut squash from mays offer at 49p ...i thought that was good that they hadnt stuck a new label over the cheap one

i was in tesco yesterday at 2.45 and stumbled upon the last reductions...i got pepperoni pizza for 34p...x2 chicken kiev 30p...posh looking puy lentil and tomato soup 24p...sliced turkey 15p...all in the freezer there was loads of stuff and not many people interested....i didnt get loads just a couple of each so other people got a great bargain as well

take care
    tess
    onwards and upwards
  • Yorkielass
    Yorkielass Posts: 2,235 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 1 June 2009 at 4:48PM
    Options
    I haven't been part of the grocery challenge for ages but spurred on by Hypno's new effort I'm going to give it a go as anything to increase the very little surplus we have at the end of the month would be most useful.

As it's the first one for ages
    I'm going for £200 please this month.

There's OH and myself and this includes all food, (including lunches for work),
    non alcoholic drinks and cleaning products. I know it's a lot compared to most of you but getting back into the swing of it and looking forward to seeing how I get on!
    Initial Mortgage January 2024 - £160,000
    Initial Mortgage free date - January 2058
    Mortgage as of 1st February 2024 - £159,134.98
    Overpayments to date - £79.62
    Current Mortgage free date - January 2058
  • taka
    taka Posts: 3,483 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Boy is it hot today... I just gave in an had an ice cream so my not spending loads this month is off to a bad start :o. It was good though... a mint magnum :drool: :rotfl:

... £51.11 left for June :eek:
    Mortgage free as of 12/08/20!
    MFiT-5 no 45
    You can't fly with one foot on the ground!
  • clayremonkey
    clayremonkey Posts: 25 Forumite
    Options
    Whew been out in the garden all day, planting what I hope are some money saving veggies! Spent quite a bit today on treats etc as am off work this week! Last month was a bad month to start the challenge as I was so under due to my freebie vouchers but this month will be a bit harder. Fingers crossed I can do it!
    May Grocery Challenge £121.93/£200 :j
    June Grocery Challenge £48.69/£200
  • Pauper1
    Pauper1 Posts: 387 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi everyone, I'm adding another challenge on my very first day!! Please can I be down for £200 for June, for 2 adults & 2 kittens. I'd love to be able to get it down to the sort of levels some of you are doing!
    Thanks,
    Laura
    DMP start 1st May 2014 - £5,864.48 £39,349.41
    Original DFD from Stepchange 6th Sept 2039... :eek:
    Now aiming for end of 2021
  • Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,710 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Woo hoo! First lot of food shopping in June and I've been to the market and spent £8.41 on fruit and veg, and £4 on nuts and seeds (they should last us the month - the fruit will probably last about 5 minutes!)

Have also made a shiny new spreadsheet to record what I've bought and totals of each day and weekly spend, so I can see how quickly it goes down, and exactly how many pints of milk we get through in a week... :)

Thank you for having the lovely grocery challenge, it really does focus the mind!

now for some meal planning...
  • Rachel021967
    Rachel021967 Posts: 1,015 Forumite
    Options
    Just been to Lidls and spent £14.48 on:
    2 beers, coleslaw, potato salad, grapes, multivitamin juice,
    spring onions, beef burgers, cucumber, 4 tins of diet Pepsi, peppers and lettuce. So that leaves £465.52
  • hermoine_2
    hermoine_2 Posts: 240 Forumite
    Options
    Been to Morrissons today and spent £84.49 and then the corner shop coz I forgot marg for making pud today and spent £1.

I think I got enough meat for the month so hopeful this is a good start.

H
  • LydiaJ
    LydiaJ Posts: 8,083 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    So June is off to a great start.
    Shiny new spending diary spreadsheet up to date - a few direct debits for TV licence etc and £2 for lunch at work - but that doesn't count as groceries by my rules for June, so signature can still say £0/£220! :D
    First online shop at Mr T will be Wednesday.
    Do you know anyone who's bereaved? Point them to https://www.AtaLoss.org which does for bereavement support what MSE does for financial services, providing links to support organisations relevant to the circumstances of the loss & the local area. (Link permitted by forum team)
    Tyre performance in the wet deteriorates rapidly below about 3mm tread - change yours when they get dangerous, not just when they are nearly illegal (1.6mm).
    Oh, and wear your seatbelt. My kids are only alive because they were wearing theirs when somebody else was driving in wet weather with worn tyres.
    :)
  • njk0327
    njk0327 Posts: 268 Forumite
    Options
    Spent another £6.58 today, so much for staying away from the shops but did get 7 loaves reduced to 19p each for the freezer, the budgie food we needed, milk, reduced pancakes and crumpets for the freezer, some value porridge oats so i can try the hobnob recipe and some soap so i can try the washing gloop thing along with a few other bits that were all reduced so not so bad really.
    Now must really try and stay away from the shops!!
    BTW have many of you tried the washing gloop? any idea how well it works?
    My OH has flatly refused to use it on any of his things, he's a bold addict.
    I wonder if he would notice it if i tried it while he was out? mmmmm...:p
    Total Debt 10/5/2009, £2189.10, 1/6/09 £1420.75
    1/7/09 £1661.66, after 2 holidays 1/9/09 £1725.36
    1/11/09 £1188.89
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business