Sainsburys disability discrimination

Options

Comments

• pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Not really, I've went 2 weeks without eating before - lost around a stone and didn't have as much energy as I usually do but other than that, I was perfectly fine. If you were severely underweight to start with it may cause serious issues though.

In fact quite a few well known diets work by basically eating nothing more than shakes and soups filled with vitamins and appetite suppressants which produce a similar effect (although granted not as severe) on the body and those are usually done in 12 week stints.

Are you saying that you used these vitamin-enhanced shakes and soups, then?

Not quite the same thing as the OP claims for daughter.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,688 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Not really, I've went 2 weeks without eating before
    UN17ED wrote: »
    Yes didn't eat for 7 days

I'd be interested to know if the '2 weeks' and '7 days' without eating actually meant no food at all had been consumed during those time periods.
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    I'd be interested to know if the '2 weeks' and '7 days' without eating actually meant no food at all had been consumed during those time periods.

Maybe it’s like my diet. If I pretend I didn’t eat it then surely the calories don’t count?
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    It clearly does sound as if the OP's daughter has a pretty severe condition and isn't really getting that much help in dealing with it - and this is probably stressful for the OP as well. But it isn't reasonable to expect a shop to accommodate every aspect of the behaviour - and when that may be impacting on other customers, it can't be ignored.
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My mother used to tell me she hadn’t eaten .. yet I could smell the aroma of bacon having been cooked for breakfast:D
  • baza52
    baza52 Posts: 3,029 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    OP, would it not be easier if YOU did her shopping and then your daughter could clean everything once it was home?

I can understand your daughter not wanting customers and staff around her if her OCD is bad but i can also understand the shop wanting to be sure that no items are being concealed and stolen. A scenario like thins would leave them open to theft.

What would you do if you were the manager of this store? how would you handle the situation?
  • epm-84
    epm-84 Posts: 2,723 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    She has severe ocd and this shop was the only place she would shop, she won't do online shopping and won't let anyone else go shopping for her.

Is that she doesn't want to or she physically can't? If it's 'she doesn't want to' then Sainsbury's are providing her with a suitable alternative to going in to the store but she doesn't want to use it, so on those grounds you can't claim disability discrimination. It'd be effectively equivalent to a wheelchair user refusing to use a lift and claiming disability discrimination because staff won't assist them up the stairs.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,131 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Out of interest what is your daughter doing for food now?

Presumably, she is eating something now,
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    She would rather still go to Sainsburys but for the time being Asda is okay for her.
    sheramber wrote: »
    Out of interest what is your daughter doing for food now?

Presumably, she is eating something now,

Going to Asda, it would seem. Even though this was an impossibility and she could only eat food bought from Sainsbury's just 10 days ago ;)
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 7 February 2018 at 5:03PM
    Options
    Maybe it!!!8217;s like my diet. If I pretend I didn!!!8217;t eat it then surely the calories don!!!8217;t count?

OMG, marliepanda, you have reminded me of something funny at a time when I really need to laugh. Thank you. It goes something like this:

(Joyce Summers to her daughter, Buffy)
    "You want waffles?"

Buffy
    "No, but if you want them, I'll help you make them."

Joyce
    "No, they only don't have calories when I make them for you."

(Buffy looks confused)

To the OP, if we all stopped and considered just how filthy supermarket (and probably all other) food, certainly food packaging, is we would all stop eating. Chicken packaging is covered in salmonella, for instance; how can it not be? Panic not, people, so long as normal hygiene is observed at home and meat is cooked properly, there is no risk to healthy individuals. It is what soap and water is for.

Does anyone really think supermarket products are stored any differently to products bought online? They are kept in warehouses, not in sterile, clinical conditions and no, supermarket workers do not wash their hands after loading up a pallet and before stacking a (thoroughly sterilised) shelf (I've been one)

All the dust and dirt from the warehouse is right there, on the shelves, on the food whether it comes from a store or is bought online from a warehouse. It could even be argued that fewer people have handled it if bought online: It did not have to be loaded and unloaded yet again before being bought and transported back to a customer's home.

(Text removed by MSE Forum Team)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport