PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

After Greggs’ vegan sausage roll, what else would you veganise?

Options

Comments

• mumf
    mumf Posts: 604 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    So I read about Vegan bacon and cheese.Vegans get evangelical about animal based foods.Fine.But why do they want looky - likey- meat- but - vegan food? I get vegetarianism, but Veganism? Only a well fed first world society can support such beliefs.If that is how you want to fill your belly,that is fine,but don't snipe at meat and then eat lookalike foods!
  • adamandtania
    Options
    cod3 wrote: »
    M&S have just launchged a vegan coleslaw as part of their Plant Kitchen range. Very nice it is too!

Aldi is currently selling vegan Hellmann's mayo.

Follow Your Heart vegenaise (my favourite) is available from some Sainsburys and online from The Vegan Kind :)

Thanks a million - I will go to M&S tomorrow to try it out!
  • MSE_Rhiannon
    MSE_Rhiannon Posts: 151 MSE Staff
    First Anniversary First Post Car Insurance Carver! Energy Saving Champion
    edited 14 January 2019 at 12:12PM
    Options
    I've been vegan for three years now. I have given up on supermarket vegan cheese.
    Have you tried making your own cashew cheese? It's mainly nooch (Aldi are selling cheap nutritional yeast at the moment!) for flavour, some use agar which is hard to find (I've seen it in Asda, though!) but I made a version with cornstarch to thicken and it was like a slightly more robust soft cheese. Pretty tasty!

Not identical to dairy cheese, but as you say, we're not trying to replicate anything, we just want something to eat with crackers :rotfl:

I've been vegan 12 years. Trust me when I say you're spoiled for choice re dairy alternatives that don't taste like :eek: these days compared to back then! :D
    Keeper of: Supermarket coupons, Birthday freebies, School holidays & Cheap perfume guides.
    Follow us on Twitter to grab the latest MSE Deals.
  • cod3
    cod3 Posts: 805 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    Options
    mumf wrote: »
    So I read about Vegan bacon and cheese.Vegans get evangelical about animal based foods.Fine.But why do they want looky - likey- meat- but - vegan food? I get vegetarianism, but Veganism? Only a well fed first world society can support such beliefs.If that is how you want to fill your belly,that is fine,but don't snipe at meat and then eat lookalike foods!

Looky-likey-meat - Most meat doesn't look like dead animals. Sausages and burgers are not body parts. They are abstract shapes and the flavouring comes mainly from plant based herbs and spices. I don't see a problem with so-called looky-likeys. It helps many people transition away from animal based foods. This is better for the animals and the environment.

Only a well fed first world society can support such beliefs. This statement is untrue. Before you made this comment you should have googled two phrases:

"Which countries eat the most meat"
    "Which countries eat the least meat"
  • Maat
    Maat Posts: 478 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    mumf wrote: »

Cod3 has already given an excellent and accurate reply to this. I have only to add that most vegans become so because they don't want to pay for animals to be hurt and killed on their behalf. It doesn't mean they don't like the taste of the foods made from their bodies, merely that they no longer wish to consume them. So for some it's easier to make the transition if they can enjoy cruelty-free versions of their 'traditional' dishes.

Curious actually as to why it matters to you whether vegans enjoy realistic meat substitutes or not.
  • cod3
    Options
    Maat wrote: »
    I have only to add that most vegans become so because they don't want to pay for animals to be hurt and killed on their behalf. It doesn't mean they don't like the taste of the foods made from their bodies, merely that they no longer wish to consume them. So for some it's easier to make the transition if they can enjoy cruelty-free versions of their 'traditional' dishes.

Also adding that some people just like the taste, texture and nutritional value of the likes of seitan, tempeh, tvp, Quorn. My own children are young adults now and have never eaten meat so to them they are not "substitutes." They cannot compare these foods to meat as they have no points of reference. They just like to eat them so I get confused why people take exception to this.
  • cod3
    Options
    In other news, Sainsburys has today launched vegan-friendly croissants and pains au chocolat :)
  • K80_Black
    K80_Black Posts: 466 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    In other news, Sainsburys has today launched vegan-friendly croissants and pains au chocolat :)

Oooh, brilliant! I'm just a veggie, but I've been leaning more vegan lately. Not going to get rid of my (second hand) leather sofa anytime soon, but soy milk in my coffee is now a staple, and I'm 'veganising' whenever I can. (Though not if it means palm oil instead, as that's just a big an issue to me)
  • Mr_Singleton
    Mr_Singleton Posts: 1,891 Forumite
    Options
    Sainsburys has today launched vegan-friendly croissants and pains au chocolat :)

I am rapt with excitement! croissants & pains au chocolat made with that wonder food...... margarine!
  • Mr_Singleton
    Mr_Singleton Posts: 1,891 Forumite
    Options
    Looky-likey-meat - Most meat doesn't look like dead animals.

So why do you want to name your food after processed dead animals?

And yes a vegan lifestyle is a 1st World luxury.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure