PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

After Greggs’ vegan sausage roll, what else would you veganise?

Options

Comments

• happyinflorida
    Options
    One thing I found in Tesco's frozen vegetarian/vegan foods area was vegan bacon - it's really, really tasty - you can fry it soft or crispy, I like it both ways!

I'd tried the Quorn bacon before and really didn't like it, so I was over the moon to find this one in Tesco. It was on offer this week too :)

To all those wanting recipes - I've found a lot of good vegetarian/vegan recipes on Pinterest when looking at low carb recipes.

I like to make a lot of my own stuff as it tastes so much better and I don't like to cook for hours, so find recipes that are quick.

One new thing I tried recently - found in Waitrose was tumeric hummous, this was the best hummous I've ever had - I'm not a great fan of it usually, so now I've found a very quick recipe on Pinterest and will try making my own!
  • d0nna
    d0nna Posts: 134 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Grouchy wrote: »
    Excellent thread and lots of useful info. I'm vegetarian but always on the lookout for other sound tasty recipies and to eat even less animal products.

One thing I haven't tried yet is Jackfruit. Lots of info (sometimes contradictory!) on the internet - for instance, recipies with, drain pat dry and add to sauce kind of use, to other more complicated options. Does anyone have a tried and tested easy first recipe for say something mexican, enchilladas or burritos? Also, any tips on cooking with jackfruit for a beginner, e.g. the basics of preparation?

Sorry to go back to basics especially when so many here have the Tshirt long ago on this thread ;)

Any help appreciated.

Hi, there's a recipe in the cookbook 'recipes for happiness' by the Happy Pear that I tried a few weeks ago, it was quite tasty and I would make them again. Easy to make too. https://www.shemazing.net/pulled-pork-for-dinner-tonight-you-have-to-try-this-vegan-recipe/ :)
  • GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Grouchy wrote: »
    Excellent thread and lots of useful info. I'm vegetarian but always on the lookout for other sound tasty recipies and to eat even less animal products.

One thing I haven't tried yet is Jackfruit. Lots of info (sometimes contradictory!) on the internet - for instance, recipies with, drain pat dry and add to sauce kind of use, to other more complicated options. Does anyone have a tried and tested easy first recipe for say something mexican, enchilladas or burritos? Also, any tips on cooking with jackfruit for a beginner, e.g. the basics of preparation?

Sorry to go back to basics especially when so many here have the Tshirt long ago on this thread ;)

Any help appreciated.

I have never eaten tinned jack fruit, but fresh jack fruit has an almost identical taste and texture as lychee.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    GwylimT wrote: »
    fresh jack fruit has an almost identical taste and texture as lychee.
    Is the taste the same?! How come I never knew that?

My parents are familiar with jackfruit as they were both born in Africa, and they did occasionally reminisce about it on the 70s but never once has it graced their dinner table in the U.K. Had I known that it tastes like lychee but without the hassle of peeling individual tiny fruit I would have been able to treat myself when I lived in East London. Doh! :doh:

I feel like the last 45 years have been wasted :o
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Captain_Bluebear
    Captain_Bluebear Posts: 213 Forumite
    First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 12 January 2019 at 2:37AM
    Options
    Tada! VfM4meplse! i love jackfruit! it also reminds me of lychee

I hope it tastes the same for you too!
    Blue x x
  • timehastoldme
    Options
    We've drained, patted dry, smothered in BBQ sauce and roasted jackfruit from a tin, texturally it's very like a shredded meat, flavour wise not much so the seasoning dominates.

Aldi have new vegan soups for 1.75 400ml in the chiller (sweet potato with coconut and coriander or butternut, lentil and turmeric)
  • holidaysforme
    Options
    I used to love peanut butter and coleslaw sandwiches. Don't laugh, despite sounding weird they really work as the peanut butter is dry and balances the wet coleslaw. The only problem is finding vegan coleslaw which is not sold by any of the supermarkets. Most recipes online call for vegan mayonnaise which is really not the same as the stuff that is used to make the kind of coleslaw sold in Tesco, Waitrose etc. If anyone can let me know where to buy this I would be eternally grateful, and if Tesco are listening I would buy it every week!

M&S are doing a vegan coleslaw as part of their plant kitchen range. I haven’t tried it, but the reviews are very good.
  • holidaysforme
    Options
    Going for a meal in Zizzis tomorrow with some friends. There’s a mixture of veggies vegans and meat eaters. Although not vegan, or even vegetarian I will be having the new vegan pizza and vegan cheesecake
    I eat practically no meat anymore and i’m Reducing my dairy consumption all the time.

It’s wonderful to see the choice of vegan food becoming available and so mainstream.

I’m using asda’s Own brand oatly in tea and coffee at the moment.
    It’s pretty good, as is their coconut milk which I use on cereal and fir hot chocolate.
  • chirpycheap
    Options
    I've been vegan for three years now. I have given up on supermarket vegan cheese. To me it has an unpleasant aftertaste as do all non dairy milks if they are put in a warm drink. I don't particularly miss either and just have hot drinks black.

I think dairy alternatives aren't quite there yet but hopefully as time goes on better choices will become available. We have a fancy vegan deli near to us but I just couldn't afford the Tyne cheeses they are selling.

I have no regrets about changing my diet. My taste buds seem to have changed and if I smell cheese or yoghurt now I find it really unpleasant.

The only two things that I have on occasion hankered after are Heinz Tomato soup. I do make my own but it's not quite the same. I also miss coffee whitener. I have tried several vegan versions and nothing is available that both tastes pleasant or is affordable and doesn't need to be ordered online.

I know that I have a fussy palate. I'm the equivalent of the Princess and the Pea when it comes to non dairy alternatives! So for now I just go without and that's fine. I don't miss dairy enough to stop following a vegan diet!
    Stashbusting 2019 - 230/300
  • holidaysforme
    Options
    I had some M&S vouchers for a Christmas present. I thought i’d treat us to some of the plant kitchen range. We had the sausages this morning for breakfast, and the coleslaw with a JP yesterday for lunch. Both were absoloutely delicious. Have the pizza and the Mac and ‘cheese’ in the freezer to try at a later date.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure