The Great 'Back-up your mobile data' Hunt

Options

Comments

• dickie_engine
    Options
    redux wrote:
    Other phones can be connected with a cable, but some shops want £30 or £40 for a cable - must be cheaper somewhere though.

I bought a non-official one online for a fiver - find the official cable serial number off nokia site and then google it.
  • lindsay_g_2
    Options
    Since work pay for it I use Nokia PC Suite, but before that I had a Sim Card back up thingie that cost a fiver from the Vodafone shop, before that I got the free back up from the Carphone Warehouse (I bet the others do it too, haven't asked though) and before that I tried the pen and paper thing. It was a right pain in the bum though... ;-)
  • charlieheard
    Options
    Snow-Munki wrote:
    have a Sony Ericsson here ( P910 ) so using bluetooth it sync up my phone with my PC's Outlook.

Then sometimes export that address book into my gmail account and my website just incase my pc goes !!!!!! ! :)
    Great piece of kit - much more than phone :beer:

I originally bought a SE P800 to replace both my phone and my Sony Clie (Palmpilot clone), before upgrading to the P910. Everything on the phone can be backed up regularly - I do mine once a week - and you can sync with Outlook in addition.

Couldn't be without it now, as it carries alarms, appointments, emails, to do lists, contact lists, an MP3 player with upto 2Gb of songs, plus a load of other programmes can be loaded. Mobile GPS on your phone, anyone?
    Jumbo

"You may have speed, but I have momentum"
  • Vinko
    Options
    I am using Orange SPV550 phone with Mobile Windows, which means, I can backup any data, and synchronize my phone with Microsoft Outlook (Calendar, Contacts, Tasks, Inbox, etc) by using ActiveSync program that you can download for free from Microsoft website. This is same with any other Mobile Windows based phone. Hope this helps.
  • angry
    angry Posts: 42 Forumite
    Options
    I use bluetooth, which my phone and laptop both have built in. Connect them together, download phonebook with hyperterminal, convert into Excel.
    Fairly complicated, and not very sophisticated, but it's free (if you have bluetooth on computer), and it does the job.
  • rwelch
    Options
    If you have an Apple Mac and a bluetooth phone you simply use the bluetooth wizard to set up teh link to your phone and then iSync will syncronize all your contacts and diaries with address book and iCal (and your PDA if you want) at the push of a button. Had to do a swop out of my faulty K750i yesterday 6/12 into use and it took <30secs to have new phone fully up and working with all contacts thanks to iSync.
  • stevenjh
    Options
    To back up your mobile, keep your old phone when you upgrade and copy your address book from your sim card onto the phone's memory and keep it safe.
  • cbucks_2
    Options
    I have used Sony phones for a long time now and they don't seem to be so paranoid about letting users exchange files between their phones and other computers or phones as Nokia, for example.

I can Sync my Sony K700 phone with my computer including, my full Outlook address book, phone numbers and email addresses, emails, Appointments, Tasks and Notes. And it uses the FREE software that comes with the phone.

Of course you can select which bit of info you want to sync, and it's very easy.

Incidentally, you can also upload files, music, games and videos from a laptop, using either Bluetooth of Infrared connections, which is something Nokia try their hardest to block! (Though you can do it with the right software and a connecting cable).

Good luck!

Chris
    (Obviously not a Nokia fan) :-)
  • sweetmoneysaver
    Options
    rapido wrote:
    Hi there,

I have a really revolutionary idea to backing up your mobile's numbers. It might be a bit beyond some Moneysavers, so please bear with me:

If you've programmed in someone's number as you've been out to the pub, at work, school or whatever, just do the following to make a back up of their number:

1. Wait until you get home and retrieve their number on your mobile.
    2: 'Write' their number in your 'address book' using what's called a 'pen' (if you don't have one of these books, you can use the back of a 'diary' or 'notebook').
    3: Leave this book at home, so that you won't lose it (unlike you will with your mobile telephone every 3 months).
    4: Voilà, all your mobile's numbers are now backed up.
    5: No need for some stupid gizmo "to do it for you".

So, stop being so lazy and wasting your money on nonsense!!! (Newsflash: this is what Moneysaving was about - making the effort to save money).

-rapido

I completely agree! The cheapest way is to enter it all in an Excel spreadsheet (which is easily updated if you need to change somebody's number). Then print out a hard copy to file away in case the PC goes bang. Ok it'll be a pain to re-enter the numbers in a new phone/SIM and you won't have photos etc but at least it's cheap and the numbers are the most annoying thing to lose when your phone goes AWOL!
    Now debtfree except for the mortgage!
  • aussiej
    Options
    $17mma wrote:
    Is that syncyourmobile a free serivce? I have three phones (dont ask) and really need to consider backing them up

Why not purchase a "Sim card reader" from Argos it's a new product in the latest catalogue, £9.99. Catalogue no: 546/3934.
    It not only saves up to 255 phone records but will restore aswell in 1 minute.
    Also other functions such as calendar and watch etc. No I do not work for Argos, I just seen it and bought it as I thought what a good idea.
    G'day. j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport