Top Bank Accounts Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• abz88
    abz88 Posts: 312 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Mike997 wrote: »
    Don`t get me wrong, I am not expecting HSBC`s CEO to come directly to me from Hong Kong. My point is that if a bloke with crystal clear history goes to them, is able to tick all the Advanced Account boxes (Premier too to be honest) and they show him the middle finger without any reason, something is not right.
    I am the customer and I am a solid one, so such bank should be interested to get me rather than ignoring me, especially that once you are with one bank, you rather don`t jump every month to other one but you are with your bank for a long time.
    Anyway, NationWide didn`t have any objections at all, account opened straightaway, with 5% interest on first 2500 and 1% after. Just waiting for the card.

I think you have misunderstood the NationWide account. Unless I'm mistaken (and I don't think I am as I have the account) it's not 5% on the first £2,500 and then 1% over and above £2,500. Its 5% on the first £2,500 for the first year and then it drops to 1% on the first £2,500 after year 1. There is no interest paid on amounts over £2,500, so you would be saving £60k but only earning interest on £2,500 of it.
  • Emily_Joy
    Emily_Joy Posts: 1,244 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I like the Santander online set up too..
    Their online banking seems too complicated to me. How does one identify the payee's account? The payment reference isn't shown in the list as with other banks, all one can see is rather useless "mandate number". Is there a way around it?
  • polymaff
    polymaff Posts: 3,904 Forumite
    edited 29 September 2019 at 9:51AM
    Options
    I agree about liking Santander. For the monthly gush of payments out required as part of servicing interest-bearing accounts they are ideal in that they show last payment date and amount paid. The former in particular in that when interrupted, one has no problem in identifying - "Now, where was I?"...:)
  • polymaff
    edited 29 September 2019 at 10:29AM
    Options
    Emily_Joy wrote: »
    Their online banking seems too complicated to me. How does one identify the payee's account? The payment reference isn't shown in the list as with other banks, all one can see is rather useless "mandate number". Is there a way around it?

1.Add some identifier to the NAME field, e.g. John Smith HX345 for a payment to John Smith's Halifax account ending 345.

2. Particularly for the monthly payments I mentioned, recognise the payee from the amount last paid and date last paid. For instance I recognise a monthly servicing of a Club Lloyds account as being any payment last made for £1,520, last made a month ago.

Hopefully, suggestion 1. will survive any future tightening up of the payee details verification.
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    polymaff wrote: »

Hopefully, suggestion 1. will survive any future tightening up of the payee details verification.
    I hope so, too. I noticed yesterday that Lloyds/BOS/Halifax now display a message when you set up a new payee, saying "Please use the recipient's real name". I ignored that message, as I do as you say and name my recipients in a way that is meaningful for me (e.g. My Barclays 1234), and I intend to keep it that way.
  • russellsnr
    Options
    Hi, We will be moving back to the UK from Europe after 14 years we still use Clydesdale Bank for our income to be sent to (45 years as customers) but because we live outside the UK they are not interested as customers it feels like loyalty does not come into it anymore anyway we will after selling our house be depositing a large sum into the CB but we are going to move it straight away to another bank or society and would like to ask for recomendations for those that give customer service up front and you can go in and talk to a person face to face in the need be. Thankyou in advance for any advice.
  • polymaff
    Options
    I'm afraid that your loyalty song is a cracked 78rpm shellac.

That was then.

What I'm suggesting is that if face-to-face service is your primary requirement you're severely limiting the advice you'll get...:(
  • theshed
    theshed Posts: 223 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    From my limited European travels I note there are a lot more High St Branches in Europe. Something you may notice when you return to the UK. So face to face banking is now limited and does not always go with customer service.
    I can recommend First Direct for good customer service and you can always visit HSBC branches if you need to.
    Do some research and you can always spread your cash.
  • I-LOV-MONEY
    Options
    russellsnr wrote: »
    Hi, We will be moving back to the UK from Europe after 14 years

Dare I ask, if this is anything to do with B..x.t ?
    Thank you for reading this message.
  • russellsnr
    Options
    No, Familey comes first.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills