Great Cosmetics Cost Cutting Hunt

Options

Comments

• loopy_lass
    loopy_lass Posts: 1,551 Forumite
    Options
    be careful of baby wipes on your skin, they allegedly have something in them to protect babies bottoms from urine burn. so its not too gentle on your face, i know i cant use them they burn.

hth loops
    THE CHAINS OF HABIT ARE TOO WEAK TO BE FELT UNTIL THEY ARE TOO STRONG TO BE BROKEN... :A
  • needmoney
    needmoney Posts: 4,932 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The following is taken from 'The face and Body book' by Miriam Stoppard.

The skin around the eyes has very little fat and supporting tissue to keep it supple and plump so needs gentle handling and lavish and frequent moisturizing.

There is no benefit in using special creams as the structure of the skin is the same as elsewhwere.

Avoid creams that contain lanolin(wool fat) as this can make the skin puffy and swollen.

Crow's feet form because of constant wrinklng of the skin when we smile or laugh, but unfortunately no anti-wrinkle cream can cure them or prevent them from forming.

I have also read that haemarroid(spelling?) cream is good for under eyes LOL have never tried it though!
    Women and cats will do as they please and men and dogs should get used to it.;)
    Happiness is a perfume you cannot pour on others without getting a few drops on yourself.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

• jemshepard
    Options
    Hi, my very first post here, but just a quick bit of beauty information. A friend of an ex-colleague of mine works at Marks & Spencer and, allegedly, they have used the R&D that Clarins carried out, to formulate their products so basically you will be getting Clarins products at very reasonable prices. I am currently using the body firming cream at £9 and it works!
  • mimi_money_saver
    Options
    I can concur what Jemshepard has said. My sister, a M&S employee, told me that they developed their Revival Skincare range with a major French luxury cosmetic company (Chanel)
  • gooismeid
    gooismeid Posts: 283 Forumite
    Options
    Absolute best body moisturiser ever - step out of the shower still wet, smooth on some baby oil (boots do a nice one with aloe vera - and if you buy several bottles you'll get extra points for baby stuff and a £5 voucher into the bargain!), wait a couple of minutes, then dab yourself dry. It really works, and has the added advantage of being super-cheap.
    Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do criticise him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.
  • dooj
    dooj Posts: 203 Forumite
    Options
    In this hot weather it may be useful to keep make-up and perfume in your fridge (perfume last longer in the fridge).
    Not sure if this counts but before you go on holiday rather than take make up that may dry out or go gloopy in the heat have your eyelashes and or eyebrows tinted (i have blonde eyelashes and eyebrows which are invisable without makeup) Saves on makeup and embarrasing panda eyes as you get out the pool.
  • trinaodee
    trinaodee Posts: 35 Forumite
    Options
    Boots do an Aqueous Creme that is exactly the same as E45 but about a third of the price. And for a really good intense moisturiser, some independent chemists have a small tub of Vitamin E creme for about £5. Its really good for use on scars, stretch marks and just a normal moisturiser.
  • Lillibet_2
    Lillibet_2 Posts: 3,364 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Distilled Witch Hazel at about £1 a bottle from the chemist applied with a cotton wool ball is a perfect cleanser & toner for those of us with adult acne:o , works as well as Clearsil & all those other overpriced chemical remeidies.

For travel try superdrug chamomile all in one facial/make up remover wipes at 99p for 40, I add a few drops of tea tree oil to the pack & they work really well.

The Body Shop do a fab combi moisturiser/foundation with SPF 15 built in (vitamin E range), £6 a tube & one tube lasts me about 8-9 weeks if applied once a day 5 days a week. Although I do cut the tube open 'cos loads gets stuck in the corners, about 2 weeks worth! Body Shop often have their Vitamin E range on 3 for 2.

Try dyeing your eyelashes yourself to save on mascara or tinitng costs, I was really nervous the first time I did it but managed fine, I didn't end up with panda eyes & now I never need to apply mascara. One pack costs about £7 from Boots or Superdrug (sorry, can't remember the brand but it's the only one they do, green package comes in black or brown-black shades) & is good for about 12 applications, it says it should last 30 days although I do find I apply it slightly more often, about every 3 weeks or so. Still good value IMHO.

HTH
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth:p

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks:mad: Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
  • lyniced
    lyniced Posts: 1,880 Forumite
    Options
    On the subject of cosmetics - I am trying to get hold of a Nails Inc polish pen as seen on QVC, but don't want to pay £20 for 3 (plus p&p) as I just want to try 1. Does anyone know where I can get them from a bit cheaper?

http://www.qvcuk.com/ukgasp/frameset.asp?nest=%2Fukgasp%2FIsItemNumberRedirect.asp&country=uk&txtDesc=nails+inc
    Me transmitte sursum, caledoni
  • gbjoce1
    gbjoce1 Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    dutyfreeperfumes.co.uk is a great place to buy perfume. Delivery is usually within a day or two. You can get good bargins esp if you dont mind the perfume coming with the word tester on the bottle or without the original box.. I have bought loads of perfume from this site and they are genuine. :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure