Rated People website

Options

Comments

• paul2louise
    paul2louise Posts: 2,426 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    robatwork wrote: »
    Well that does sound dodgy - to bring it back to topic, I now don't ever visit rated people, trust a trader, or any website where there is an exchange of money for a trader to get registered or that is easily abused. Not one word of one review on those sites are to be trusted.

It's a shame as the theory of those sites to help people find traders is great.

So the usual rules apply:
    1) Personal recommendation
    2) Trading standards approved
    3) Which local

Most good builders for example have so much work from 1) that they don't need to advertise or set themselves up on RP.

Good points, I had tried to find a roofer locally and they were all busy or not got a ladder long enough as I am in 3 storey house. I did eventually find a man via the local street life and he came on good recommendation after I saw the work he did to repair a ladies house who have been a victim of an out of control car. I was very happy with him. I won't be using any of these websites again.
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Options
    Just to clarify.

I could set myself up on Rated people tonight and spend less than £100 and by this time next week I could have three 5 star reviews on rated people without actually doing any work.

As robatwork has mentioned, take these review sites with a pinch of salt as they receive their money from the tradesman.
  • CKhalvashi
    CKhalvashi Posts: 12,060 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options

You're not an official company account with Money Saving Expert and therefore not allowed to post.

As there is no evidence that this account is from someone in the RP offices, it's probably not a good idea to share any personal information with it, as it could be anyone.
    💙💛 💔
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi,

While I hope that you are indeed an official from Rated People, and we can enter into some polite and hopefully meaningful discussions about your website, you've gone about this incorrectly.

You need to officially register on this site as a representative of your company - a board guide should be along soon to tell you how. At the moment you're just another Joe Schmoe like the rest of us whose opinion is equally (in)valid.

For example here is a post by someone representing Land Registry - note how it shows that:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=70954728&postcount=25

Looking forward to continuing this discourse should it transpire you are indeed Jon from RP....
  • paul2louise
    edited 23 July 2016 at 11:36AM
    Options
    I did follow it up with you and have contacted Action Fraud. I have sent you a crime reference number to you.
  • robatwork
    Options
    "Last edited by MSE ForumTeam3; Today at 11:36 AM. Reason: Quoting deleted post"

Well I guess the missing post from "Jon from Rated People" answers the question as to his authenticity.

But what I wonder was his motive in posting if he wasn't from that company?It's time one of these nonsense listings companies had the guts to post on a public forum officially.
  • paul2louise
    Options
    robatwork wrote: »
    "Last edited by MSE ForumTeam3; Today at 11:36 AM. Reason: Quoting deleted post"

Well I guess the missing post from "Jon from Rated People" answers the question as to his authenticity.

But what I wonder was his motive in posting if he wasn't from that company?It's time one of these nonsense listings companies had the guts to post on a public forum officially.

Well if he was from rated people he should know that have already complained to them and they have the information about it. My post is make others aware of the leaving yourself open to non reliable trade sources. Interesting.
  • nickrave
    nickrave Posts: 8 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Rated People is a an organisation set up to exploit tradespeople. It extracts a monthly membership fee and then on top of this charges around 20% of the customers estimate for each lead, payable by the trades person. As the customers estimate is usually much higher than the cost of the actual job it means that the fee for the job is unfairly dented.

Couple this with the fact that you have no guarantee of getting the job - the lead will be sold 3 times... Rated People tell you a lie - that they will refund you the lead cost if you are unable to quote or contact the customer. In reality they just say that they don't believe you, they accuse you of lying to them and then don't refund you the cost of the lead at all.

They are a disgusting, amoral company and they deserve to go bust.
  • robatwork
    Options
    nickrave wrote: »

They are a disgusting, amoral company and they deserve to go bust.

But....but Phil Spencer advertises them... and he wouldn't do that for amoral or disgusting reasons such as it's just for money, would he?
    Surely he wouldn't put his professional reputation on the line as a property expert just for a quick buck?

Oh why oh why didn't "Jon from Rated People" come back as a properly registered representative to discuss such matters?

Anyone would think there's something shady about this, and the other, "pay for leads" building companies.
  • 1dog1kid
    Options
    I employed Hebdons bespoke orangeries of haslemere and Chichester. Ten months later and over half the quote given I have the groundwork and 1breeze block wall. He phoned to say he is shutting down the business . Yet another untruth he is still trading. Do not give your money to this man you will not even get the work for your twenty Percent deposit. He has changed trading names twice since we engaged him but as the company stationary states his offices are in haslemere,(local) discovered he doesn't have offices there at all .
    We cannot afford someone else to do the ninety percent of work remaining.
    Watch out don't be caught out by Hebdons
    bruceelson wrote: »
    I thought it helps to share my bad experience with one cowboy plumber. he trades under Acorn plumbing & heating (1 pine close, DY6 8EY). he said he does bathrooms. we bought expensive tiles and items from bathstore, we trusted him to do good job. after few days found one pipe been leaking messed up whole wall. tiled fallen off and he wont return to fix it. we had to hire another person to rip shower and wall off and redo all again.

If you want good job, try to go with recommendations. cowboys like this one doesn't some to care about his reputation.

Bruce.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport