We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Rated People website

Options

Comments

• Imnoexpert_2
    Imnoexpert_2 Posts: 341 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am using the site to source a tradesman for a small job. For me so far it has been great. I have had 3 people call me. Without even trying to negotiate the price down (yet) I have three people who are keen to do the job because they have paid for the lead. So far £320, £ 290 and £ 140. So different from the old days where you had to phone 6 or 7 tradesmen to get one call back.

Of course I treat these tradesmen as I would anyone else - with caution! I will also reserve the right to talk to other people who might recommend someone and with little effort I now know the going rate for the job and have some feedback as a guide about three companies.

Each tradesman is a businessman and must decide if the money they spend on rp is worthwhile - do they do this with yellow pages, trade bodies etc? They are big grown up people! My job which could only cost me £140 has earned rp £45 so they are definitely onto a good thing. I may very well go elsewhere to get the job done so for me and for rp it's win win. The risk is with the tradesman!

I guess for some tradesman this sight is no good. one guy contacted me from a different area - I'm unlikely to use him. One guy said this was his job and he'd bought it- I'm not going to be pressured like that and as others say it probably pays to be the first to ring a customer.
  • WELLSIANA
    WELLSIANA Posts: 24 Forumite
    Options
    trustatrader ...hilarious ..i was with them two years and have a fantastic review count...because they sent me 50 and i filled them in myself..i was biased towards me and never gave myself one bad review although i varied the tick boxs...as for time too join it took as long as it did to cash my cheque..i was never inspected and just had to photocopy documents..i could actually have used someone elses...they are all a money making sham and its not for the professional ...ps gary is an ignorant !!!!!! who listens only to gary
  • PhylPho
    PhylPho Posts: 1,443 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Roger Morris's post at 320 really ought to be pinned to the top of this thread as a wake-up call to every consumer who takes these rate-this or rate-that "services" seriously.

Making money out of the gullible has never been easier than when the Internet is used to run a brokerage service. Anyone here can set one up in a back bedroom because little capital outlay is required, little risk is ever incurred, and no-one can or ever will police your activities. You're just the middle-man. You just say. . . stuff and rake in the money.

Where trade services are concerned, the best advice a potential customer can get is from an existing or former customer. In person. Not via some middleman's Internet website. If it isn't possible to get information from family, friends or neighbours then Roger Morris's recommendation re the Trading Standards service is the best alternative. Anything else. . . forget it.
  • moneysavingnewbie1
    Options
    I used RP to advertise a heating job. I couldnt get access to any information about the tradesmen until someone contacted me and then RP sent me a link to look at a profile for the tradesman who was wanting to quote for the job.

I hired the tradesman - who turned out to be a complete psychopath and although I managed to get him out of the house (he was paid in full) I had thought about calling the police because he was ranting and raving. When I advised RP that he was psychotic and a possible danger to others (he literally flipped from being ok / tad wierd - but then became a lunatic), I explained that I would like to warn people about him but felt afraid to leave a review as he obviously knew where I lived. I asked if the review could be anonymous. In response, Rated People cancelled my account. I DID say "I dont want to use your website again" but i didnt say I was leaving or cancel my account! That was their response to my fear of leaving an honest review which would help others, but would obviously mean people wouldn't use this psycho and they therefore wouldn't get their cut.

Where is the customer service? Where is the concern for consumer safety? How is it ok to ignore my appeal for assistance in favour of making themselves money? I dont recommend RP and will never use them again. Ive found an alternative now - literally just now - a website called checkatrade.com. It lists profiles of tradesman for free. You don't need to create a login or pay anything, it just comes up with profiles of people who seem to have been vetted by the site (it lists their insurance details, their qualifications etc) and it has reviews from site members. Its perfect because you call whoever you want yourself (their contact details are on the site) and you can see their profile before you decide to make a call. Don't know how the site makes money (maybe through advertising, maybe they charge the tradesman to appear on their site) but its like Yellow Pages with reviews and im happy I can see reviews before i call. With that alternative i dont see why anyone would use RP. Before i found checkatrade.com i also used mybuilder.com which was better as it shows profiles but I didnt get any calls for one job so they dont seem to have a lot on there (RP dont either by the way) but checkatrade has loads for the job i need doing now and you can see how many tradesman they have in seconds for your job so go and have a look at that site!

I agree having read the above posts that reviews could be fake but its more info (qualifications etc) than Yellow Pages so i think checkatrade is handy. i wish i had family and friends who could recommend people to me but i dont so this is the best alternative for people like me
  • timdf911
    Options
    you really don't know who you're letting into your house and what their background is.

I found to my cost the RP builder I used for a short period of time was a serial con man, drug addict plus some of his 'helpers' were ex-cons including a rapist ! Such is the power of Google.

RP really needs to perform a CRM or similar on their 'rated' people.

I'm not saying everyone one from RP is a bad egg, just that they seem to attract more than their fair share of dodgy types.

From now on only local contractors found by recommendation.
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    timdf911 wrote: »
    you really don't know who you're letting into your house and what their background is.

I found to my cost the RP builder I used for a short period of time was a serial con man, drug addict plus some of his 'helpers' were ex-cons including a rapist ! Such is the power of Google.

RP really needs to perform a CRM or similar on their 'rated' people.

I'm not saying everyone one from RP is a bad egg, just that they seem to attract more than their fair share of dodgy types.

From now on only local contractors found by recommendation.

Rated People were featured on BBC Watchdog this week, their excuse for a conman being on their list and having great feed back on the RP site was that he's also on other builders websites.

Oh that's ok then.

They must forget what their adverts say about their website.

Worth a watch http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b04m0b29/watchdog-series-34-episode-1
  • timdf911
    timdf911 Posts: 35 Forumite
    Options
    that's so funny but sad at the same time.

What an absolutely lame excuse, clearly Rated People have no intention of 'cleaning house'.

It's probably take another piece on watchdog but even then I doubt it.

In the meantime steer well clear or at least do your own background checks !!
  • corrado100
    Options
    Great website.. thats if you like being hounded by builders who have paid fair amounts of cash to get to you.
  • timdf911
    timdf911 Posts: 35 Forumite
    Options
    Interesting wikipedia entry - just about sums RP up in a nutshell

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rated_people#Controversy
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,131 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Interesting but not very well written:

Between 2012 and 2013 ratedpeople.com allowed convicted criminal Mark Killick to operate on their website under the name Mark Jenkins allowing him to swindle between £500,000 - £100,000,000 from unsuspecting home owners who used the ratedpeople.com website in good faith.[18]

£100 million?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family