We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Rated People website

Options

Comments

Options
    Just to add to the debate, consumers need to beware of this company (Rated People). Consumers may think that the tradesmen and companies that pay to be on this website will be reputable as it is endorsed by Phil Spencer.
    In fact the company bears no liability whatsoever for the tradesmen and companies on their site and, as far as I can tell, carries out no vetting procedures or checks to ensure the safety of the consumers that wish to use it.
    In other words, any traveler cowboy, rogue trader, etc, could pay the fee, use a bogus business address and bid for work and it is the luck of the draw whether the consumer receives a call from a legitimate trader or a conman.
    Rated People only seem interested in the money it makes from the monthly fee and the bid fee, the fact that consumers are left to be potentially conned is not relevant.
    I used it once and my experience only lasted a couple of days, the 'tradesman' did not turn up on time, did not bring any materials and was always full of excuses. I eventually sacked him before he did too much damage and without paying out any money.
    My advice is DO NOT USE THIS WEBSITE (RATED PEOPLE) AT ANY TIME!
  • baldelectrician
    Options
    My own opinion- not mentioning RP as I have dealt with them in a previous post.
    Use a tradesperson who has word of mouth- call your local trading standards and ask if a trader is known to them (they might me known in a positive light having rescued someone from a problem).
    baldly going on...
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    Options
    Acheivable, only needs 10 50k extensions for the half million and 100 for 5 million, depending how long he was on there for

Achievable? Maybe? But my betting would be that whoever made that update to Wikipedia either had fat fingers or couldn't count. (And in any case, the update was undone, and isn't there any more.)

Killick got done for a £1.5 m fraud. Although Killick himself disputed this figure, and said it was only £573,000. He got five years.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-29744900

More to the point, he did indeed get his work though ratedpeople.com. Of course, as ratedpeople point out; it does not claim to vouch for the tradesmen on its site, and makes it clear that it is important for people to make independent checks before hiring someone.

Which would lead me to conclude that there is no point to ratedpeople.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Acheivable, only needs 10 50k extensions for the half million and 100 for 5 million, depending how long he was on there for
    But for £100million?

That's two thousand £50k extensions.
    At (say) one a month, that's one hundred and sixty five years work.

Perhaps he did one a week - a more reasonable 38 years.

Was Rated People running in 1977?

:D
  • timdf911
    timdf911 Posts: 35 Forumite
    Options
    That's another problem with Rated People - very difficult if not impossible to post a negative review as it would also damage the reputation of RP as well.
    As has been mentioned many times - avoid RP like the plague and only rely on word of mouth references.
  • paul2louise
    paul2louise Posts: 2,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I had some work done on my roof 2 years ago to repair holes made by birds nesting. I got a tradesman from Rated People to come and fix it. The birds came and nested again only a couple of months later. So i tried to contact the trademan to see if he would complete the job he hadnt done properly. He wanted more money so i decided i had been conned. I did create a complaint with rated people but it came to nothing.

Then last night i get an email from someone asking if i had had work done on my roof and can i have your phone number. I was a bit hesitant at first and after a few emails decided to give him an old mobile number.

He says that the tradesman used to work for him and he wantsbto put right the work that wasnt done properly. I said it had been done by someone else. He wanted to offer me a goodwill gesture of £50 and wanted my bank account number and sort code?

So not only was i conned by first guy and now i am being targeted by scammer who got hold of my email and wanted my bank details.

I have reported this to tradding standards and made a further complaint to rated people :(
  • baldelectrician
    baldelectrician Posts: 2,467 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I had a call from a lady who had an electrical company through rated people

This company were registered through NICIEC for solar panel installs but not as Approved Electrical contractors.

There were lots of things such as
    • Large holes in consumer unit you could stick your fingers in
    • The electricity board fuse carrier had been damaged
    • There were live wires dangling where the wall lights were to go
    • There were 2 sockets hanging off the wall (exposed connections)

The woman had no come back through NICIEC (as they were not advertising as approved contractors)

She has home legal cover so is pursuing things through that route
    baldly going on...
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,131 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    He says that the tradesman used to work for him and he wantsbto put right the work that wasnt done properly. I said it had been done by someone else. He wanted to offer me a goodwill gesture of £50 and wanted my bank account number and sort code?

What do you think he can do with your bank account and sort code?

This is information that a lot of people have - everyone you have ever sent a cheque to, plus anyone who makes payments to you. How do you know he is a scammer?
  • paul2louise
    paul2louise Posts: 2,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    robatwork wrote: »
    What do you think he can do with your bank account and sort code?

This is information that a lot of people have - everyone you have ever sent a cheque to, plus anyone who makes payments to you. How do you know he is a scammer?

I posted this question elsewhere on the consumers rights section as I wasn't sure what to do. People said with bank details they can set up direct debits from your account and that if he was genuine he wouldn't mind paying by PayPal. He hasn't paid me anything and he hasnt sent me his company details he promised and the 10 year guarantee on the lead flashing work that his so called colleague had done. So I have given him all week to respond and now I have reported it to action fraud.
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,131 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I posted this question elsewhere on the consumers rights section as I wasn't sure what to do. People said with bank details they can set up direct debits from your account and that if he was genuine he wouldn't mind paying by PayPal. He hasn't paid me anything and he hasnt sent me his company details he promised and the 10 year guarantee on the lead flashing work that his so called colleague had done. So I have given him all week to respond and now I have reported it to action fraud.

Well that does sound dodgy - to bring it back to topic, I now don't ever visit rated people, trust a trader, or any website where there is an exchange of money for a trader to get registered or that is easily abused. Not one word of one review on those sites are to be trusted.

It's a shame as the theory of those sites to help people find traders is great.

So the usual rules apply:
    1) Personal recommendation
    2) Trading standards approved
    3) Which local

Most good builders for example have so much work from 1) that they don't need to advertise or set themselves up on RP.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport