Electricity meter is running after I've turned the electricity off at the mains

Options

Comments

• Andy_WSM
    Andy_WSM Posts: 2,217 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Uniform Washer Rampant Recycler
    Options
    jp456 wrote: »
    Just went and turned off mains as per the switch on the CU. The red pulse light pulsed once every approx 9 seconds. Turned it all back on and the pulse is about one every 6 secs which is slower than 1 every 3 secs before (same stuff on in house).

If by the seal you mean the metal loop through the screw at the bottom of the electricity meter unit, then I can confirm that it is intact and has not been snipped.

Looking more likely it's a simple case of a knackered meter.
  • espresso
    espresso Posts: 16,446 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    sacsquacco wrote: »
    When you turn off the mains switch that meter would go blank..Is it doing that ?

Absolute rubbish!

Stick to reading meters as you obviously do not understand basic electricity and your post is unhelpful.
    :doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
  • Andy_WSM
    Andy_WSM Posts: 2,217 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Uniform Washer Rampant Recycler
    Options
    espresso wrote: »
    Absolute rubbish!

Stick to reading meters as you obviously do not understand basic electricity and your post is unhelpful.

Agree. Another piece of duff technical info.
  • jp456
    jp456 Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    So, should the meter pulse when the mains are turned off?
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 11 January 2015 at 1:18PM
    Options
    If you turn the main switch off the meter should not flash although you should still see a reading on it.
    if it's flashing at a rate of one every 9 seconds that equates to around (60 x 60)/9 = 400watts/hour x 24 = 9.6kwh a day. Which is about equivalent to the average consumption for a household.

Either something is using it all by not being switched off at the main switch or the meter is faulty.

An investigation into the wiring inside the consumer unit is called for just to make sure that nothings being tapped off the input to the main switch
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • jp456
    Options
    When I turned the mains off yesterday it was still pulsing at about once every 3 seconds. This surely is indicative of a dodgy meter? I suppose that if something's bypassing the mains it's got to be something pretty hefty to warrant that type of energy consumption?

I guess it's electrician in first then BG? - I've already registered the complaint with them and I'm due to speak with them on Thursday regarding the dubious meter readings that I'm taking every day. The last 24 hrs yielded a reading of 27kwh which is nuts.

I suppose I'll have to cough-up for the electrician for the time being - I am in rented accommodation but the agents said I'd have to deal with BG first.

Thanks for all the replies.
  • frugalmacdugal
    frugalmacdugal Posts: 10,077 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi,

what about your neighbour next door, is his 'normal', wouldn't happen to be your landlord who self built the semi's?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 12 January 2015 at 7:46AM
    Options
    espresso wrote: »
    Absolute rubbish!

Yeah, sorry that was a bit of a boo boo, I should nt be posting with a massive hangover , I only see all blankers when local power cuts are on. Those meters dont have internal batteries. you re right I dont understand the black art of electricity too well. The second poster. matelodave, prob got it right straight away ,- duff meter.
    I hope the OP keeps us informed with the eventual outcome of this very odd question..
  • Rathius
    Options
    you should be able to post a pic using photobucket or Tinypic, then use the wee postcard icon.
  • jp456
    Options
    I will conclude this thread as soon as BG have tested the meter - no date set yet but calling the on Thursday 15th after the week's meter readings that they required.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure