🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Electricity meter is running after I've turned the electricity off at the mains

Options

Comments

• jp456
    jp456 Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    The house is a Semi - and there's nothing much for 50 yards or so on "my" side. That said, I've no idea how tapping could potentially take place?? It would've been fairly easy to gain access to the meter if anyone wanted to.
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Post more photos of where the grey wires go :o
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • shammyjack
    shammyjack Posts: 2,685 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    In the photo of your consumer unit which you have shown all switched off, underneath there are 3 small white boxes or patresses. The right hand one is a fused switch but is in the on position .

What does that switch feed ? If it is wired in before the main switch that could be your problem !
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 11 January 2015 at 12:20AM
    Options
    lower cover seal on the Ampy meter appears to be snipped. difficult to make out for sure, but suspicious if it has. To check for bypass under the cover be very careful because that screw could be live.
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Being a new style meter I'm surprised u can tell it's going up with things switched off.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,147 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    You can with mine - 10 flashes of a red light is one kwh.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,526 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Switch below consumer unit -could it be for later addition of immersion heater or electric shower ? Or power supply to garage ?
  • jp456
    Options
    The switch below has also been turned off when everything else was and no difference made to the meter pulse.

I probably should've mentioned that I turned everything off a cpl days ago and the pulse slowed way down to about one pulse per 9 secs ish. Yesterday after everything was turned off it was still pulsing at about one flash every 2 or 3 secs.

Haven't turned everything off today however - not sure if I should be messing with it. I'm going to organize an electrician to come round and look at it before I get too busy with BG. I guess this would be the correct way to proceed?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    When you turn off the mains switch that meter would go blank..Is it doing that ? We have had people on here in the past with faulty digital meters like yours going haywire. Can you confirm if that small metal seal on the lower cover ( where the cables enter ) is intact ?
  • jp456
    edited 11 January 2015 at 12:02PM
    Options
    Just went and turned off mains as per the switch on the CU. The red pulse light pulsed once every approx 9 seconds. Turned it all back on and the pulse is about one every 6 secs which is slower than 1 every 3 secs before (same stuff on in house).

If by the seal you mean the metal loop through the screw at the bottom of the electricity meter unit, then I can confirm that it is intact and has not been snipped.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport