Extra energy account closed - administrators chasing money 2 years later

Options

Comments

• bomdabass
    Options
    I've had a similar letter. Claiming I owe money from a property I moved out of 45 months ago.

The letter is headed Extra Energy but no return address or email address to contact them, just an 0800 number.

The account number on the letter doesn't match my Extra energy account. I have email correspondence from 2015 seeking a final bill, receiving it and a record of it being paid from my bank statement.

I've just waited 30mins on the 0800 number with Coldplay playing.

Seems dodgy to me and I won't be calling back.

Does anyone have an email address?
  • greenfly
    Options
    I'm also having trouble getting in contact with them to resolve an outstanding balance dated over two years ago. We were with ExE for 45 days whilst we moved into our property and switched supplier. They never sent a final bill so I was unaware of the amount - they still haven't sent a formal bill with the readings that I submitted and the energy used.

The letter was also sent with my partner's name on. He would have never dealt with them. I'm not sure how they enquired this.

I know the balance now because I rang the number on the letter and asked. Thankfully our debt is small but I am not paying it because it is their mistake. A bill was never generated.

I sent a formal complaint in the post by recorded delivery to an address in Edgbaston and that got a reply within 2 working days.

The operators on the phone (when you can actually get to them without the phone being hung up) are rude and demanding. I have tried calling them 20 times in the last couple of days to resolve the matter. I'm seriously fed up with them wasting my time.
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    You should really stop phoning and write, sending it recorded delivery making sure you keep a copy of the letter, posting slip and check that it's been delivered.

It has a much more mind concentrating effect on the recipient that a frustrated person who's been waiting on the phone for ages. It indicates that you've had enough faffing around and that you mean to persue it rather than just being another whinger on the phone.

It's also more calming from the complainants point of view as well.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • Foibles
    Foibles Posts: 22 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I've unwilling joined this club as EE were the provider when I moved into my property (perhaps it was easier for the vendors to simply move house rather than try to get through to EE's customer service?!).

EE's administrators, PwC, have a list of who (supposedly) owes what, but none of the data behind that to prove it. On saying that I dispute the (thankfully small) amount that they say I owe they advised that I get in touch with EE's customer service via customer.care@extra-energy.co.uk to clarify the position.

I don't really fancy having bailiffs turn up, especially for such a trivial amount but, as far as I'm concerned I paid the outstanding balance in full when I closed the account, so I'm keen to stick to my guns no matter how many 30 second loops of Coldplay's 'Clocks' I have to listen to whilst on hold.
  • MM46
    MM46 Posts: 56 Forumite
    Options
    MM46 wrote: »
    My husband has just received a letter from Extra Energy customer services saying there is a debt on a house which we moved from in April 2015. No details of the supposed debt or the dates to which it referred. It was me who dealt with EE and the account was in my name. I have detailed notes about calls I made to them including the last one which confirmed that was the final amount which I then paid. I received an e-mail acknowledging the payment though it did not say it was the final payment. They never put anything in writing, they were terrible to deal with.
    Today’s letter got the account number totally wrong as well as the name. It included a telephone number but no address to write to. When we phoned the number it was a call centre in South Africa. The lady could not find anything on the system but said that could mean there was no amount outstanding or could mean something else which I couldn’t understand. She advised me to ring the administrators and gave me the telephone number - guess what, it was the same number I had just rang.
    I like the advice above about writing to PWC but there was no address given. Can anyone help with that please as they are a huge company?
    I have found an address online
    Extra Energy Supply Limited – in Administration, PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP, Central Square, 29 Wellington Street, Leeds, LS1 4DL.
    I phoned the Leeds office of PWC, I only got as far as the receptionist who gave me the e-mail address for extra energy customer services. I e-mailed them explaining that they had used the wrong name, the wrong account number and that I had paid the final bill, and asking them for a detailed breakdown of any amount they say is outstanding. I sent a copy to the administrators by recorded delivery, but have had no reply from them yet. However yesterday evening I received the following e-mail from extra energy:
    Good Afternoon,

Thank you for contacting Extra Energy.

You have informed us that you were not liable for the property during the period in question.

In order to remove your details from the account we will require one of the following confirming the dates you were liable for the property:

- Lease agreement
    - Tenancy agreement
    - Land registry/TR1 form
    - Solicitors letter/email from solicitors
    - Email from property management companies/estate agents

Kind regards
    Extra Energy

We were dismayed by this reply. They have not addressed any of the points in my e-mail to them. They have still not told me the amount of supposed debt. Their reply mentions “the period in question” but they have not said what that period is!
    I have got the solicitor’s letter showing the date we sold the house but I am reluctant to give them a copy. I feel like we are on trial, being asked for a lot of private information without being told what the charge is.
    Can they actually send this to debt collectors and send bailiffs etc without going to court first?
  • bascule
    Options
    Slightly different circumstances, the people who lived in out flat before us were with Extra Energy and EEIA were trying to claim that there was a period of time when we were responsible for the energy use in the flat and Extra energy was the supplier. Not the case.

Luckily I learned a lesson years ago and I take photo's of the gas and elec meters at least every reading, at best every month. I had cold hard facts, sent them 1 photo of the electrcity meter and they have written the matter off.

Mind you I also sent messages to the PwC directors involved, Mike Denny, Matthew Hammond and Ian Green. Just add PWC after the name when you google their names and a contact form is only a couple of clicks away.
  • Claret25
    Claret25 Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 26 March 2019 at 7:43PM
    Options
    I’ve finally after nearly a month of harassment just got an email confirming I do not owe any money to this shower! Here’s what I had to do:-

Email, customer.care@extra-energy.co.uk ( PWC are not allowed to give this address out anymore!) with proof that I believed my account to be settled, I sent copies of emails received from EE last year stating that no money was owed on my account.

Phoned, 08009534774 this number was given to me by PWC, it’s a UK based call centre, not as aggressive and demanding, they seemed to want to help.

The guy I spoke to did say there was only about 38 people manning this number and the email address so it could take a while for a reply.

Hope this helps
  • Raxiel
    Raxiel Posts: 1,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    MM46 wrote: »
    I phoned the Leeds office of PWC, I only got as far as the receptionist who gave me the e-mail address for extra energy customer services. I e-mailed them explaining that they had used the wrong name, the wrong account number and that I had paid the final bill, and asking them for a detailed breakdown of any amount they say is outstanding. I sent a copy to the administrators by recorded delivery, but have had no reply from them yet. However yesterday evening I received the following e-mail from extra energy:
    Good Afternoon,

Thank you for contacting Extra Energy.

You have informed us that you were not liable for the property during the period in question.

In order to remove your details from the account we will require one of the following confirming the dates you were liable for the property:

- Lease agreement
    - Tenancy agreement
    - Land registry/TR1 form
    - Solicitors letter/email from solicitors
    - Email from property management companies/estate agents

Kind regards
    Extra Energy

We were dismayed by this reply. They have not addressed any of the points in my e-mail to them. They have still not told me the amount of supposed debt. Their reply mentions “the period in question” but they have not said what that period is!
    I have got the solicitor’s letter showing the date we sold the house but I am reluctant to give them a copy. I feel like we are on trial, being asked for a lot of private information without being told what the charge is.
    Can they actually send this to debt collectors and send bailiffs etc without going to court first?

The onus is on them to prove the debt exists, not for you to prove it doesn't, however sending them the solicitors letter will likely result in the least amount of messing around for you, so that is probably the best course of action.

Because you've told them that you aren't the person they are looking for (The debtor) they can't answer your other questions without risking a breach of the DPA.

They can pass it to a debt collector at any time, but all the DC can do is write toothless letters and make phone calls inviting you to pay the claimed debt (although they will doubtless use flowery language and doublespeak to make it seem like you have no choice). They can't send bailiffs or take any other action along those lines without them going to court and winning and you refusing to pay the CCJ.
    3.6 kW PV in the Midlands - 9x Sharp 400W black panels - 6x facing SE and 3x facing SW, Solaredge Optimisers and Inverter. 400W Derril Water (one day). Octopus Flux
  • rogcal
    rogcal Posts: 214 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have been disputing my alleged Extra Energy debt since the 8th of March and despite repeated emails and calls to "Extra Energy In Administration" to give them their correct title, it took 10 days before confirmation was received that my initial email together with copies the final bill and bank statement showing payment had been received.

This lack of professionalism reflects badly on PWC who are wholly responsible for how the process of administration is conducted.

I am in the fortunate position of being in possession of all my Extra Energy invoices which I downloaded from their website when I received emails advising me that my account was due for payment. I also have all the bank statements showing the payments were made promptly.

The problem that faces the administrators looking for outstanding debts is the poor billing system in use by Extra Energy which resulted in many of my bills being incorrect and the need for them to be replaced by correct bills.

When I look at all my invoices it clearly shows on many of them the words "this invoice replaces invoice ********* of **/**/****" or "this invoice replaces multiple invoices for the term **/**/**** - **/**/****" which only goes to show how those previous invoices were in error and needed correcting following my intervention.

It looks to me that the people employed to look at individual accounts are being misled into believing that many invoices have not been paid despite them being replaced by correct ones and over a year or two the perceived debt can grow into many hundreds of pounds, as is the case with my alleged debt.

I was fortunate enough to get the name and email address of a billing manager at Extra Energy who took personal action to see to it that the erroneous invoices were replaced with the correctly calculated ones and he often commented on the parlous state of the billing software/system used by them and the need to regularly correct invoices that were in in error.

The only advice I can give to others facing the same issues that I am, is not not admit liability for the debt, ask for a complete breakdown of how the alleged debt has been incurred and ask for copies of all the invoices generated for your account covering the full term of that account.

Also make it quite clear that you intend to dispute the alleged debt when summoned to appear in court.

Good luck and if you feel strongly about it why not write to all three of the persons named as "joint administrators of Extra Energy" named in the letter you received from Extra Energy, who are all within the hierarchy of PWC and express your concerns over the way the process of debt recovery is being conducted by them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure