Get a grip !

Options

Comments

• savingwannabe
    savingwannabe Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Well done you are like me saving!!! I hope I can keep this up. Im finding that life is boring as now I cant spend as much while I am on a low spend month. We need tactics - yours is decluttering and mine might have to be marking- yuk. It is v blustery outside and I daren't risk popping out as I feel as though I will blow away.

Hurrah for decluttering. Make sure you enjoy today and have a lovely meal. Hugs.
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • Skint_yet_Again
    Options
    Fed up of these howling gales.

Managed a short walk with the dog yesterday morning & evening. Did some batch cooking in the morning and portioned into meals and froze for DS to take to work.

Then I went out for lunch with a friend. 2 meals for £9.99 and a 2 drinks £5 total spend each just under £7.50. Just in the local pub so not far to walk and had a nice meal and a good chat.

Did a bit of tidying in the afternoon. Stuff out to recycling bin. Dishwasher on, emptied and on again.

Decluttering week 11 - 2 x chewed (half eaten) dog blankets & old (half eaten) quilt cover, plus an old unused throw disposed of - the throw was dry clean only and I put it in the washing machine :o it went all "bitty" so you couldn't sit on it or use it without fibres all over your clothes - not sure why I was keeping any of them :p the dog can't have blankets / throws / old quilt covers / towels of any kind any more as she eats them :(
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗
    House sale OCT 2022 = NOW MORTGAGE FREE 🤗
    House purchase completed FEB 2023 🥳🍾 Left work. 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
  • savingwannabe
    Options
    It's grotty here too!

I am glad you have met up with a friend and pleased that you are decluttering still. Your credit card is going down nicely. :j

Have a good day.
  • Skint_yet_Again
    Skint_yet_Again Posts: 7,571 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 18 March 2019 at 8:15PM
    Options
    Thanks SW. I have just paid another £50 off my 0% credit card so it should be down to £798 once the payment has cleared :T

I was hoping to pay more off this month and put more in my emergency fund but it looks like I will have to replace my faulty fridge freezer :( Its not been working properly for ages. I took the back off the inside (after unplugging !!) and following instructions I checked the fan but couldn't see any broken bits. I put it back together and put the hairdryer on it again and when I switched it back on it set off working again. Its supposed to be frost free. I have £150 in my emergency fund plus whatever is left at the end of this month and another £100 after payday so I am going to start looking for a new one around £250-£300.

New council tax bill has arrived, increase of £8 a month April to Jan. New TV licence bill also arrived £150.50. Bill also for renewal of magazine subscription for DF £30 so no increase - paid for from Christmas / birthdays fund. New waste water bill £34.65 April to Jan up from £33.11.

Seems to be all pay out at the moment.
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
  • savingwannabe
    Options
    Sorry about the fridge freezer - at least you know you have it.

All my bills have gone up too. :(
  • Skint_yet_Again
    Options
    Good news on the fridge freezer as DF has said he will buy me one :T
    I didn't expect this so am really grateful he says he can afford it and knows I am trying to save so it's really appreciated. I will go and look at some to see what I like then shop around online and look at reviews.

DS got his new car, it seems it's cheaper to buy brand new at 0% APR and means that I am no longer mums taxi :T so petrol costs will go back down next month and it means I've been able to give him a bit of support. The dealership gave him a bunch of flowers which he gave to me to say thanks which was nice as he could have just given them to his gf !

We are eating out of stores/ freezer again this weekend. I have a joint of pork which I will put in slow cooker for pulled pork. I managed to resist a takeaway last night and had spicy chicken wings and skinny fries from aldi.

Decluttering week 12 - a lot of the big stuff downstairs is done. I have shredded another load of receipts. I got rid of some parcel packaging and cardboard and an old toolstation catalogue into recycling.

The weather had turned slightly warmer but still no sign of the sun. At least the heating has been off a bit longer. :)

Living off savings diary
  • savingwannabe
    Options
    Well done on decluttering and new freezer. That is wonderful of your dad! :j It's great that DS has his own car and you can rest a bit more. I am doing the same and finishing off stores to minimise my wastage.

I am waiting for the weather to brighten up too. Have a good day.
  • Skint_yet_Again
    Options
    Have had a good day thanks SW.

I walked to coop this morning (5 minute walk away) and got yellow stickered sausages half price £1.53 and bread on offer £1.05 and cooked us all breakfast. Then DS & his gf walked the dog.

I scrubbed down the patio with pink grapefruit disinfectant to get rid of nasty niffs. My long handled brush broke just as I finished, the handle has rotted. It was only cheap from aldee over a year ago, but the metal has perished / rusted / corroded and snapped so it can't be fixed. It was cheap so I will have to look for a new one. Would be good if I could just get a new handle as the brush head is ok but will probably be cheaper to get a whole brush :p

Got a load of washing done and mostly dried outside. Its finishing off on airers. Did some tidying, dishwasher etc and then lounged on the sofa for the rest of the afternoon :D

Tonight we are having a harvester delivery from just eat. Bit naughty but it is free delivery and there is a 15% off voucher on :money:so was £10 each. I will pay for mine from entertainment budget. We will have pulled pork tomorrow.

DS & his GF are walking dog tomorrow too so I will have a rest. I have been feeling unwell this week although it hasn't actually turned into anything I just feel the need to lie down so I will make the most of it and rest for some of tomorrow too.

DF is coming down on 15 april so we are busy making lists of jobs to do and hoping the weather will be nice. I have lots to go to the tip - old home brew kit from loft, old perished garden hose, I am sure there will be other stuff to declutter by then too ;)

Living off savings diary
  • savingwannabe
    Options
    Gosh you did lots. Glad you had a takeaway as a treat. I did a whitewash and then slept all afternoon! Please rest a bit more and hopefully the illness will stop. Have a good day tomorrow and here's hoping to a quick week.
  • Skint_yet_Again
    Options
    I feel much better today. After hanging out work clothes to dry on the line I went for a walk in the sun with a friend. It was lovely and warm. We called off at the pub on the way back. Todays spend 2x diet coke £5. Had pizza for dinner from freezer. DS walked the dog so I spent the rest of the day lounging on the sofa :p

Living off savings diary
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback