Amazon Prime warning

Options

Comments

• AuntyJean
    AuntyJean Posts: 585 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have been a customer for years and am very careful not to take up any Prime offer. Odd two other people had the same happen to them.

Just wanted to warn peeps to be vigilant.
    There is always light within the dark
  • AuntyJean
    AuntyJean Posts: 585 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    "You don't recall signing up for Prime/ free one month trial but you, or someone who you allow to use your account, have done. If this is the first annual premium taken then look at your orders from a month prior - look for the point from which you started to receive free next day deliveries. Amazon don't enrol customers into Prime - customers check a box and do it themselves, though I get the distinct feeling you won't believe me."

No-one else has access to my account and I did check my last orders over the last month and did not elect for free trial
    There is always light within the dark
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    AuntyJean wrote: »
    I have been a customer for years and am very careful not to take up any Prime offer. Odd two other people had the same happen to them.

Just wanted to warn peeps to be vigilant.
    "You don't recall signing up for Prime/ free one month trial but you, or someone who you allow to use your account, have done. If this is the first annual premium taken then look at your orders from a month prior - look for the point from which you started to receive free next day deliveries. Amazon don't enrol customers into Prime - customers check a box and do it themselves, though I get the distinct feeling you won't believe me."

No-one else has access to my account and I did check my last orders over the last month and did not elect for free trial

That's what lots of posters said - despite screen shots of the Amazon page which showed where you have to opt for Prime.

In fairness, I've not looked recently so they may have changed it so that you can now somehow be signed up to Prime without physically doing so.
    But one wonders why they would change their system to do that - when they are OK about refunding the Prime fee.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I found that Amazon had 'renewed' my Prime membership @ £79 on 7th August. Odd thing is I have never had or elected to have Prime and no pre-warning. I immediately went on to webite and cancelled it for a ull refund.
    If you check your statements back a year ago you will indeed have elected to have Prime, otherwise they wouldn't be "renewing" it.

From your post, I'd say it's more than likely that you (or someone you allowed to access your Amazon account) did indeed pay for the Prime service.
    Pollycat wrote: »
    they may have changed it so that you can now somehow be signed up to Prime without physically doing so.
    Amazon were heavily criticised some years back for the manner in which they introduced Prime. Numerous refunds (and disgruntled customers) since then has convinced them to be far more upfront and clear about the service and it's costs.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Amazon were heavily criticised some years back for the manner in which they introduced Prime. Numerous refunds (and disgruntled customers) since then has convinced them to be far more upfront and clear about the service and it's costs.
    My point exactly.

I can't imagine Amazon would make it easier for anyone to sign up for Prime by mistake.

My comment was based on the OP's assertion that she didn't sign up for Prime.
  • Former_MSE_Andrea
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Yes, we warned about this in 2015 after forum users highlighted it.

The story is a couple of years old now but the "how to" part should help.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/shopping/2015/02/been-charged-for-unwanted-amazon-prime-heres-how-to-cancel

Andrea :)
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,024 Forumite
    Options
    We avoid buying from Amazon now - their policy seems to be 'if you sign up for prime we'll send your order out straight away, but if you don't sign up then your order will go to the bottom of the heap and we'll get down to it whenever'.
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    My point exactly.

I can't imagine Amazon would make it easier for anyone to sign up for Prime by mistake.

My comment was based on the OP's assertion that she didn't sign up for Prime.

As Ive had Prime membership for a couple of years (after successfully using the free trial numerous times) I can't say what the sign up or trial screens show now. However, a couple of months ago the sprog shoulder-surfed my Amazon password and signed me up for Prime Unlimited Music on a free trial. This triggered a plethora of emails from Amazon regarding my status - confirming the commencement of the trial (and that it would then become chargeable), acknowledging my cancellation of the auto-renew, another to say that the trial was coming to an end and a final one stating that the trial was over. They certainly couldn't have spelled out each step any more clearly.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    Options
    their policy seems to be 'if you sign up for prime we'll send your order out straight away, but if you don't sign up then your order will go to the bottom of the heap and we'll get down to it whenever'.
    I disagree with this entirely.

Prime customers get priority (because they pay for it), but other customers are not at "the bottom of the heap" at all.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    As above 100% agree .
    I certainly don't get inferior service when i choose not to use prime .Delivery varies upon location of goods and who is selling .
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure