Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 14th Jan 09, 3:22 AM
    • 10,969Posts
    • 120,539Thanks
    LameWolf
    Black Dog of Depression - can we help each other?
    • 14th Jan 09, 3:22 AM
    Black Dog of Depression - can we help each other? 14th Jan 09 at 3:22 AM
    Hello Friends

It's silly o'clock as I type this, but I've been lying in bed unable to sleep, and it occurs to me that there's not a Depression thread yet.

I think those of us who suffer this can help each other. I'd like to think so, anyway; I do know that, as a MoneySaving forum, it is relevant for those of us who go a bit OTT with the spending when the Black Dog has us. I know I do - I spend far and away too much on alcohol.

Depression is as much a disability as the physical stuff (of which I do have some also, I have lupus) but it is so sad that it is seen as something you can "pull yourself together" from. Etc, etc. If you've read this far, you know that it doesn't work that way.

OK, to get to the point..... I have had severe depression from very early in life (diagnosed at the age of 12, I have been on various anti-d's for the last 37 years) and I'd like to offer a "paw" of friendship to others in the jaws of the Black Dog.

I can't, obviously, wave a magic wand and solve all your problems, but I do think that we can perhaps share coping strategies, and maybe provide some mutual support.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
Page 89
    • Sugar Coated Owl
    • By Sugar Coated Owl 17th Jan 10, 10:08 PM
    • 11,598 Posts
    • 21,081 Thanks
    Sugar Coated Owl
    Thanks, you're all very supportive, it means a lot.

Pipkin, they come out for about 10-15 mins each day.
    --><-- Sugar Coated Owl --><--

If you believe, you will survive - Katie Piper

Woohoo! I'm normal! Gotta go tell the cat.
    • pipkin71
    • By pipkin71 17th Jan 10, 10:10 PM
    • 19,360 Posts
    • 87,170 Thanks
    pipkin71
    rbk, the samaritans have an email service available, if you find it difficult using the phone.

jo@samaritans.org.

http://www.samaritans.org/talk_to_someone/email.aspx

I don't know if you've used them before, but you could say what you wanted, without it being on a public forum, if that helps
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
    • Sugar Coated Owl
    • By Sugar Coated Owl 17th Jan 10, 10:18 PM
    • 11,598 Posts
    • 21,081 Thanks
    Sugar Coated Owl
    Thanks pipkin I haven't emailed them before so it might be worth a try.

Sometimes I just want to sit and cry on someones shoulder
    --><-- Sugar Coated Owl --><--

If you believe, you will survive - Katie Piper

Woohoo! I'm normal! Gotta go tell the cat.
  • sandy71
    I know what you mean rbk, shoulders are a bit thin on the ground at the moment. I can offer you a virtual shoulder if thats any help.
    • pipkin71
    • By pipkin71 17th Jan 10, 10:30 PM
    • 19,360 Posts
    • 87,170 Thanks
    pipkin71
    Thanks pipkin I haven't emailed them before so it might be worth a try.

Sometimes I just want to sit and cry on someones shoulder
    Originally posted by razorbladekisses
    ((((HUGS)))) hunny.

Maybe if you can get things written down, it can help. I don't know what the email service is like, but I hope, if you try it, that it does give you some support.
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
  • sandy71
    I am such an idiot i had a glass of wine im sick of giving things up
    i will regret it now
  • dmg24
    Evening all, I can't write a lot because I am at end of tether point. If one more thing goes wrong ... I don't know.

rbk, I'm not going to say I know how you feel because it's different for all of us, but I'm thinking of you x
    • pipkin71
    • By pipkin71 18th Jan 10, 8:45 AM
    • 19,360 Posts
    • 87,170 Thanks
    pipkin71
    Hope you're ok dmg

I'm off out today for the first time in a long time

Keep safe, everyone. Hopefully you will all be able to have a nice day.

Thinking of you, rbk. Take it easy hunny and I hope today goes ok for you
    • MSE Archna
    • By MSE Archna 18th Jan 10, 9:47 AM
    • 1,874 Posts
    • 6,140 Thanks
    MSE Archna
    Hi guys,

Iím afraid weíre going to have to temporarily close this thread for the time being. The MoneySaving forums are primarily for MoneySaving discussions and while we were happy to allow this thread weíre getting so many reports itís starting to drain the teamís resources. Weíre currently getting some advice from health professionals as to whether to let this thread continue on the forum.

In the meantime I would ask that you can all be patient while we come back to you, and please donít start any new threads.

Many thanks for your understanding.

If you need to speak to someone you can contact:

The Samaritans: 08457 90 90 90 or jo@samaritans.org
    Report inappropriate posts: forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

250Posts Today

2,421Users online

Martin's Twitter