PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

2019 - A Clutter Free Life

Options

Comments

• oceanspirit
    oceanspirit Posts: 1,018 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    MadamMim, I am so pleased to hear that training today went well and you're excited about your new job.

Visitor on Monday said my place feels homely. There was still a fair amount of stuff lying around though so I'm not quite sure how to take that :rotfl:.

Only 3 items into recycling this week however I've been sorting things off the current reading pile so that will give me space this week to get back onto the older paperwork.

Another incentive coming up - friend coming to stay on Friday for 4 nights so the spare bedroom needs to be clean and clutter free by then. I don't want to just move it all into my bedroom so I have my work cut out this weekend, plus I have a couple of paperwork deadlines to meet. Busy, busy, busy! And I must ensure that I don't overdo it and end up losing the rest of the week to fatigue so will be keeping an eye on pacing.
    Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • chupachups4
    chupachups4 Posts: 156 Forumite
    edited 15 March 2019 at 9:15PM
    Options
    Good evening

731-743: 13 items sold, 176 euros in the travel pot

listed 9 items
    1st goal: 0/936 euros
    2nd goal: 0/15160 euros
  • Gem-gem
    Gem-gem Posts: 4,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 15 March 2019 at 10:49PM
    Options
    amycool wrote: »
    Been a bit lacking in motivation but I did sort all the stuff for the charity shop so that's ready to go and DD needed fabric for a school project so a t shirt that no longer fits went.

We've had some bad luck today! We donated the spare TV to the charity shop a few weeks ago as we had a "new" TV and today it broke! Looked up the issue online and depressingly, as the TV is only 1yr 3months old, it seems to be a common problem that costs almost as much to fix as buying a new TV. It would appear we bought from a very unreliable company. We could argue that we should get a partial refund but I don't think it's worth the stress.

So the weekend will be spent buying a new TV and this time we're getting a well known brand.
    For future decluttering purposes, I have signed up to Splosh (you reuse the same bottles and just order refills for laundry detergent, washing up liquid etc) so my cleaning cupboard will eventually be much smaller. I've also ordered some Modibodi pants to see if I can stop buying sanitary products. Expensive but much better for the environment and one less thing to store!

I am now using washable panty liners so that I don't have to store lots of disposable ones. I have also thinned out the amount of chemicals in my cupboard.
    I am experimenting with a no chemical cloth in the bathroom. It looked alright last week but I am having trouble getting my head round it. So I have decided to use my own homemade solution once a week and inbetween use the no chemical cloth. The chemicals that I have are: bleach (for toilets); window cleaner which will be replaced with the no chemical window cloth when used up; disinfectant; flash for the floors; mildew remover; a lime scale remover; an oven cleaner. For everything else I use bicarbonate and vinegar or washing powder and lemon juice or white vinegar, lemon juice with a splash of washing up liquid and water.

Washed inside the kitchen cupboards (again), hubby spilt coffee last week and cleaned it up but I came across areas missed. Decluttered an out of date spice. Decantered and filled up Kilner jars, packaging recycled.

Hubby is joyfully decluttering the cake that I made (using up eggs, fruit).
    Save 12K in 2026 no 16
    Fashion on a ration 0/66 coupons
  • Happy_Kitties
    Happy_Kitties Posts: 1,615 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Many thanks MrsSD. I didnt even realise that I had gone thru the 150 mark. I think once u get into the mindset its there and even though it's a very slow plod, I'm still plodding along.

ailz95 'neutral' items for me are short term items passing thru. These items are for Christmas charity auctions and tombolas. The trouble was there was rather alot that was beginning to look like clutter, i didnt want it to get damaged and I had no space for my medical supplies. When people get to know about the charity things u do get given things. I dont mind at all, it's nice to be doing my small bit for charity but I dont have masses of storage space available. So have been slowly shipping out to the organiser or charity. I now even have a small amount of storage space available if I'm given/buy more things(did go abit mad for one charity in the Boots sale!)
    Decluttering challenge 2023🏅⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ 
    Decluttering challenge 2024 🏅⭐️
  • bit_by_bit
    bit_by_bit Posts: 1,155 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Just popping in to report some decluttering action.

So last weekend DS2 moved out. He didn't take much with him as he hasn't got much. He has no washing machine so clothes are still coming back to be washed (by him not me).

He has been sleeping in the spare room which I had desgnated as sorting room until he moved in in an emergency 2 years ago. There are boxes and bags all over the house that should have gone in there for sorting but just sat as I didn't have the space. :o

It is half full of junk and now all the clutter from all the places in the house going to go in and there will be a concerted effort to sort and shift it. The rest of the house should look a lot better though.:)

In the last year my attitude to stuff has evolved and esp since the death of my sister I don't want anyone to have to sort all that stuff or it go to the tip ( well not all of it anyway).

So today, to start the ball rolling we have got rid of the bed that was in there. Now I have some space.:j:j:j
    Wife, mother, gardener, nurse, Big C survivor. Officially retired at 55 2021 [/b][/b].Mortgage free April 2021Challenges 2024: Decluttering Campaign 32/100 bags plus 0 large items. Make £2024 in 2024#8 £0/£2024 Using my craft stash 0/52 Reading books 0/52 Donations for the CS/washing done from others (in and outs) in 2024 x 10 bags and 0 large items.
  • gilly1964
    gilly1964 Posts: 1,107 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yay, have broken the 100 mark :j

96 Cajun spice with best before date of 2011 into the bin
    97 Some avocado gadget to CS
    98 Spiralizser to CS
    99 Tongs to CS
    100-101 Bottles to glass bin
    102-104 Socks without their mates to bin

Total 104/2019

Now decluttering stress watching the rugby.
  • Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Options
    1. SMALL TASKS WILL BE DONE ASAP
    2. I WILL LEAVE A ROOM TIDIER THAN WHEN I ENTERED
    3. KITCHEN WILL BE LEFT CLEAN & TIDY EVERY NIGHT
    4. WHEN DEALING WITH CLUTTER I WILL USE ‘Daisy1571’s idea of ‘WHAT WOULD I DO WITH THIS ITEM IF IT WAS SOMEONE ELSE’S ?’
    5. IF I WAS STARTING FROM SCRATCH, WOULD I BUY THIS?
    6. BE LIKE A POSTAGE STAMP - STICK TO ONE THING UNTIL YOU GET THERE

Friday I ended up only sorting a bit of paperwork & DH did a bit of office tidying :( Hm soup for dinner with crusty bread.
    Saturday was mostly dry but exceedingly windy :eek: So windy in fact that my F*tb*t has registered 71 flights of stairs & only 4 of them have been climbed :rotfl: It started raining from about 6:00 p.m. Sandwiches for lunch. DH & I spent a couple of hours in the garage sorting & tidying & creating floor space for DH to seal & paint. He put on the concrete seal before dinner (which was very simple - pesto pasta) & has now put on the 1st coat of blue paint.

748 - 750 Magazine, 1” recycling, cardboard box - Recycled
    751 - 753 paint stained cardboard, 2 uu marker pens - Binned
    754 - 766 Nine metal tent pegs, 4 damaged screwdrivers - added to metal tool chest for - Tip
    767 - 780 Broken paint kettle, broken torch, broken syringe, broken plastic Dremel box, plastic bottle of used engine oil, ruined mop sponge, 3 plastic boxes, 5 plastic lids - Tip bag

Cheerleading starts here :D

Well Done villagelife :T powering towards 350 :T

So exciting MadamMim :D not so sure about the 5:00 a.m. start :rotfl:

What a lovely post ailz95 :T Weather notwithstanding I hope you have a lovely weekend :D

Well Done oceanspirit :T Slow & steady wins the race ;) As you say, you must pace yourself :rotfl: Perhaps 15 minutes on, 15 minutes off ;)

Well Done chupachups4 :T serious amounts of money into the travel pot :D

Gem-gem, Well Done on your efforts to dispense with chemical cleaning products :T You & I have some mething in common - hubbies who try to clean up after themselves :rotfl: Not always successfully :rotfl:

Happy Kitties - plodding may not be spectacular but it does get the job done :D

Well Done bit by bit :T Decluttering a son & a bed :rotfl: Now don’t forget, once all the clutter is in ‘the room of Doom’ do not be afraid to enter it :rotfl:

Well Done gilly1964 :T Very encouraging to get through a barrier :T:D

Happy Decluttering everyone :D

MrsSD
    780/2019
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • chocolatelover93
    Options
    Hello everyone,

Thank you for the well wishes re. my tooth! I bought some make shift filling stuff as dentist can't get me in until Friday but it didn't really work!

No internet yet in new house (was meant to be on Wedneday :() so can only update when I am at work. I have 4G but too small on my phone lol.

Done a few tip runs the last few days and have some more bits for CS (keeping the local one stocked I think!)

I have 2 people collecting things I've sold on FB this evening:
    Ball pit and balls (DS loves it but only likes to tip them out and picking up 300 balls a day soon got old! he's not had it for 2 weeks and not missed it!)
    And a stick on black out blind that I haven't used for 2 years!

Need to list another 5/6 items so that will be tonight's job :) in a way not having any internet has done me good I have been getting an early night and being more productive with my evenings but miss my games and NF!

Have started being more strict on myself when shopping asking if I really need to buy certain things, so far the odd few unnecessary bits have slipped into the trolley but no where near as much as before! I have also tried to stop my scrolling on FB selling pages and buying stuff I don't need! I have just got DS a car mat for his play room (it has a hard floor so needs a mat) for £2 and an in the night garden bed set for £5 he's been having a hard time settling into his new bedroom so I'm hoping that'll help as he loves iggle piggle!

Have also been leaving a room tidier than when I left it which is nice because the house actually stays tidy! Have been putting bits in the dishwasher after use so they aren't clogging up the sides too. Just these small things has helped my mental health too.

C xx
    Read my diaryHere :)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Bought new handbag so am de-cluttering old one to CS and will see if they want the assorted cables too. Have finally moved to Win10 from Win7 so am taking time to go through the 1000 or so recipes to de-clutter them. Have enough to give me different meal for possible rest of life so it needs to be done. Also trying to upgrade my brain to use One Drive so can use either laptop of desktop {prefer}. Done a sort of menu plan so I can use up some of the freezer/cupboard items in the next few weeks then I can de-clutter some of the ice from freezers. Am going to get rid of some of my hair tomorrow with the local student salon. All sounds odd and varied but every little helps to de-clutter mind !!!!
  • Barny1979
    Barny1979 Posts: 7,921 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Barny1979 wrote: »
    252. Chandelier to tip
    253. Old curtains and rail to tip
    254. Taps and connectors into charity bag
    255-256. Light shades into charity bag.

257. Cardboard box into recycling
    258. Packaging bits and pieces into bin
    259. Paper into recycling