Options
    Hi Capannacce

We charge a low monthly membership fee. This standing charge covers:
    • Your meter maintenance
    • Our people costs
    • Operating and systems costs
    • Our low profit margin
    • VAT.

As for the energy you use, we have zero mark-up. You pay what we pay.
    Hope that helps

Marc @ Pure Planet.

capannacce wrote: »
    MSE suggests there is a PurePlanet membership fee of £8.50 per fuel per month (£204 a year) in lieu of a standing charge. Why and what is a standing charge? How is it justified? Is it no more than a fee for having the meters in the house? My meters are over 15 years old ! Isn't this just an anachronistic item to screw even more out of the consumer? They all charge it. One supplier recommended to me by Uswitch wants standing charges of £275 a year.
    Verified Company
    I am a verified representative of Pure Planet. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the Verified Companies list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE.
  • ejv
    ejv Posts: 315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    How long would the switch take place?
    Can I join now, and request the switch to happen after the end of my contract with current supplier(Sept 30)
  • PurePlanet
    PurePlanet Posts: 199 Organisation Representative
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    ejv wrote: »
    Can I join now, and request the switch to happen after the end of my contract with current supplier(Sept 30)

Hi ejv
    The switch takes about 17 days.
    So you should start your switch in mid September.
    Currently the legislation says that you can leave a supplier's fixed energy tariff when you're in the last 42 to 49 days (the two numbers depend on which supplier and which tariff). To be safe you should wait until you're in the last 42 days.
    More info from Which website here.

We'll be looking forward to welcoming you to Pure Planet!
    :j
    Thanks
    Marc @ Pure Planet
    Verified Company
    I am a verified representative of Pure Planet. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the Verified Companies list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE.
  • Skools_Out
    Options
    ejv wrote: »

Switching currently takes a minimum of 17 days from application, but may take as long as 21 days (plus 14 days statutory cooling off period).

Most suppliers do not allow you to specify the actual switching date, and where they do they are not contractual.

However,
    Ofgem's rules state that customers must not be charged exit fees if they leave during or after the 'switching window', which is defined as "49 calendar days before a fixed-term contract ends".

You can apply to switch at any point during a fixed-term contract without having to pay exit fees, as long as the switch is actually completed during the switching window.
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/energy/2017/01/energy-firms-still-wrongly-telling-those-with-energy-fixes-ending-they-face-exit-fees-to-switch

So you can certainly apply today without fear of early exit fees being applied by your old supplier.

It may well be that you will be switched before your contract end date, and so miss out on a few days presumably cheaper energy on that old, existing contract.

But with prices generally moving up, you may find that if you wait, any offer you see today may not be available for application tomorrow (rather being replaced by a more expensive offering)

If, on the other hand, your switch actually occurs after the contract end date of your existing deal, as long as your existing supplier is informed of the impending switch before that end date, they must continue to apply the same rates until the actual switch (reasonable time limits apply)
  • Skools_Out
    Skools_Out Posts: 258 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 13 August 2018 at 11:13AM
    Options
    Al_Ross wrote: »
    All suppliers charge a standing charge....

They do indeed, as that is an ofgem stipulation.

However, a supplier can set the standing charge at any level, even as low as 0p per day ;)
    Al_Ross wrote: »
    Pure Planet .... the unit rates are charged at wholesale prices.

If that is correct, then there seems to be many suppliers out there that charge less than wholesale prices ;)

I guess it depends which wholesaler a supplier is using as to what price they are referring to.
  • Skools_Out
    Options
    capannacce wrote: »
    MSE suggests there is a PurePlanet membership fee of £8.50 per fuel per month (£204 a year) in lieu of a standing charge. Why and what is a standing charge? How is it justified? Is it no more than a fee for having the meters in the house? My meters are over 15 years old ! Isn't this just an anachronistic item to screw even more out of the consumer? They all charge it. One supplier recommended to me by Uswitch wants standing charges of £275 a year.

As you mentioned uSwitch
    https://www.uswitch.com/gas-electricity/guides/energy-standing-charges/

See also
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/electricity-standing-charge/

Don't get yourself too worked up about how the cost of your bill will be arrived at, what is more important is the lowest price option.

A comparison site will help you find that.
  • Skimatty
    Options
    I have switched and the switch has gone smoothly and successfully.

Does anyone know how the £25 cashback is tracked when you do it through the cheap energy club?
  • Students
    Options
    Hi, I'm one of a group of 5 students looking to switch from a supplier the previous tenants used. Would there be a way to set up multiple direct debits to take out a fifth of the payment from each of our accounts if we were to switch?
  • ClaireLG
    Options
    I am trying to switch energy providers to Pure Planet from Scottish Power. PP said I was live with them on 26th July, but when I have spoken to SP today they said I am still live with them on the National database therefore SP are still my energy providers! I have tried to address this a week ago as I dont want to be charged by SP and also PP. SP have not received my meter readings from PP either. I am finding it very frustrating that I cant speak to anyone other than a robot who gives me generic answers to my questions. SP and PP have both taken direct debits this month........Can someone please get in touch......
  • Skools_Out
    Skools_Out Posts: 258 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 22 August 2018 at 9:06AM
    Options
    ClaireLG wrote: »
    I am trying to switch energy providers to Pure Planet from Scottish Power. PP said I was live with them on 26th July, but when I have spoken to SP today they said I am still live with them on the National database therefore SP are still my energy providers! I have tried to address this a week ago as I dont want to be charged by SP and also PP. SP have not received my meter readings from PP either. I am finding it very frustrating that I cant speak to anyone other than a robot who gives me generic answers to my questions. SP and PP have both taken direct debits this month........Can someone please get in touch......

Suppliers are permitted up to 5 weeks for a switch application to go live.

You will be given a date for when the switch goes live. If a dual fuel, you may have 2 dates.
    You need to supply meter readings on that day, or within a small window thereof.

The gaining supplier will not pass meter readings to the losing supplier, other than the ones they use applicable to the switch day.

Sorry theses are generic answers, but the issues you raise are generic in nature.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback