Stash Busting 2019 - I WILL use my mountains of craft stash before buying more!

Options

Comments

• rosie51
    rosie51 Posts: 257 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    What a great idea.
    I have sewn more squares together to make another 2 cat/dog blankets. Total 4/150 so far.
    2020 Stash makes/destash 61/150
  • chirpycheap
    Options
    frizz2 wrote: »
    I have decided to do an inventory of all the big pieces of fabric I have so that I can plan projects I want to do. Also group all fabrics that go together so I can see what I can make. I really want to make a dent on that fabric stash!

A great idea. What projects do you have in mind to use up your stash?

I have just done an inventory of my yarn and needles on Ravelry. It has really helped me to realise exactly what I have (way too much ; ) )
    Stashbusting 2019 - 230/300
  • nimbo
    nimbo Posts: 3,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I’m too scared to do a stock take. I think it would just be ‘everything’.

Finished one more notebook at work. 22 / 500.

I have another 10 notebooks to take to work. Probably half hand made.

I’ve not even made a dent on the stash.

I have a day planned on Saturday to do some work on a sewing project - but don’t have any on the go so need to figure that out... ASAP.

Stashbuster - 2014 98/100 - 2015 175/200 - 2016 501 / 500 2017 - 200 / 500 2018 3 / 500
    :T:T
  • Sayschezza
    Options
    Patchwork club today so a little bit done. Knitting is taking ages as it's for oh and he is rather large. Scrapbooking all day Saturday with lots of photos of my first ggs but must do some of my older photos first.
    All that clutter used to be money
  • frizz2
    frizz2 Posts: 90 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have not started my inventory yet, but I plan to do it at the weekend! I want to make two more double quilts, one as a present for a friend. I also want to make some patchwork cushions and some wall hangings. I have books and patterns and I want to start using the ideas I have seen. I am allowing myself to buy fabric from charity shops (in moderation), but I am determined not to pay full price. I have wool that I can use up for projects.
  • chirpycheap
    Options
    I have not started my inventory yet, but I plan to do it at the weekend! I want to make two more double quilts, one as a present for a friend. I also want to make some patchwork cushions and some wall hangings. I have books and patterns and I want to start using the ideas I have seen. I am allowing myself to buy fabric from charity shops (in moderation), but I am determined not to pay full price. I have wool that I can use up for projects.

That all sounds wonderful. Quilting is on my list of things that I would love to learn but I know that if I did start I would end up with a mountain of fabrics to add to my already huge craft stash! I have no will power when I start a new hobby! Although buying fabric from charity shops sounds like an excellent way of avoiding bankruptcy!:rotfl:
  • chirpycheap
    Options
    So I have began the challenge and so far:

3 Colouring books and an origami book for the charity shop. They were all gifts. They were kind presents but although I am arty I don't really have the patience or eyesight for highly intricate mandalas or origami models!

I made 15 birthday/xmas cards and 20 gift tags made from an assortment of cardmaking leftovers. Whilst the stuff is not technically used up it is now in a form that means that it is more likely to be used up. If that all makes sense!

I had a sort out through my beading/jewellery making stash and I probably should get rid of it all but I am still hoping that I will get back into it. I have sent to the charity shop 9 packets of beads, a beading board, 3 sequinned baubles, a mini storage tin, 3 fimo models and a bag of embellished paper clips.

My total is now 59/200

I am currently turning a huge box of decorative paper scraps into large single sheets. A bit like paper patchwork. I sorted the little bits of papers into colours have stuck them together and trimmed them into rectangles and they will be going into junk journals. Again technically nothing has been used up but it will stop me needing to buy any more papers in the future!
  • craftingmad
    craftingmad Posts: 2,765 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi Everyone,
    I hope you don't mind me joining too! I have a lot of fabric and wool to use up before I buy any more stuff. I also have lots of craft materials to use up. I am making a double quilt to use up some fabric. I can make it without spending any money. I have the backing fabric, wadding and I am making up some blocks with squares and triangles. I also have lots of wool for small projects, gloves, scarves etc. I keep looking at quilting fabrics reduced in the sales, but must use up what I have first!
    I have finished one quilt since January, made two small make up bags from patchwork scraps. I have started this second quilt.
    I pledge to make 200 items this year either in fabric or wool. Reading other people's makes is inspiring me!
    Keep crafting everyone!

Welcome frizz2 :)

Good luck with your stash busting adventures :)
    Mortgage - £2338.07 BTL 1 £51,089.10 BTL 2 £81,504.52 BTL 3 £77,497.02 No Craft Spending in 2023 0/365 Stash Busting Challenge 2023 0/2023 [COLOR
  • craftingmad
    Options
    Wraithlady wrote: »
    Finally, I can declare 1 denim maxi-skirt made.

1 down, 49 other things to go....

Fantastic start. Well done Wraithlady :)
    Mortgage - £2338.07 BTL 1 £51,089.10 BTL 2 £81,504.52 BTL 3 £77,497.02 No Craft Spending in 2023 0/365 Stash Busting Challenge 2023 0/2023 [COLOR
  • craftingmad
    Options
    Please may I join this challenge?
    Reading through all of the posts made me smile with wry recognition. It also revived my hankering for a Cinch!

I have a box room full of craft stuff and I've now begun to expand my craft empire to the rest of the house! I have been crafting for so many years it's just slowly accumulated. I knit, crochet and embroider. I make cards, scrapbook and do art and daily journals. I have started and failed to master dolls house miniatures, jewellery making, Fimo, paper flowers and lino cutting but I still have the stuff in case I suddenly get the urge to do it again.

My crafting is not a business just a hobby but a really important one for me. I think that my life is richer for the creative outlet it offers. So whilst hiring a skip and chucking everything in the bin has crossed my mind I know that what I need to do is to seriously declutter and to stop hoarding things.

I would like to declare a target of 200 items for 2019.
    This will include anything that I declutter, use up or make. In addition I am going to try my hardest not to add to my stash but if I am overcome with temptation and do buy something it then I will knock a point off my total

Welcome chirpycheap. You sound like my twin!
    Good luck with your stash busting. I can't wait to hear all about your adventures :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure