Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Nick
    • By Former MSE Nick 4th Nov 16, 4:02 PM
    • 254Posts
    • 78Thanks
    Former MSE Nick
    Best Sim-only Deals guide Discussion
    • 4th Nov 16, 4:02 PM
    Best Sim-only Deals guide Discussion 4th Nov 16 at 4:02 PM

This thread is specifically to discuss

Best Sim-only Deals

Click reply to discuss or ask a question about this article click reply
    Last edited by Former MSE Andrea; 12-11-2018 at 1:33 PM.
Page 2
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 8th Feb 17, 11:23 AM
    • 3,897 Posts
    • 1,142 Thanks
    AndyPK
    Virgin offer at the moment:

Same network.

Move to them

They are now offering triple data on the 12 package.
    2Gb to 6Gb
    • richjee
    • By richjee 8th Feb 17, 1:46 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    richjee
    Hi there just came across Freedom Pop sim only deals 99p for a sim card with no monthly fee and 200 minutes, 200 texts and 200 mb data.

Does anyone have experience with this, seems too good to be true?

they have 2 other deals &4.99 per month for 500/500/500 and 6.99 per month for unlimited/unlimited/2250 mb data
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 8th Feb 17, 5:15 PM
    • 3,897 Posts
    • 1,142 Thanks
    AndyPK
    I think the problem with this is you need a 3G connection to make calls.

So depends what your reception is like where you want to use it
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 8th Feb 17, 5:19 PM
    • 3,897 Posts
    • 1,142 Thanks
    AndyPK
    wrong post
    • d123
    • By d123 8th Feb 17, 6:00 PM
    • 7,980 Posts
    • 5,215 Thanks
    d123
    Hi there just came across Freedom Pop sim only deals 99p for a sim card with no monthly fee and 200 minutes, 200 texts and 200 mb data.

Does anyone have experience with this, seems too good to be true?

they have 2 other deals &4.99 per month for 500/500/500 and 6.99 per month for unlimited/unlimited/2250 mb data
    Originally posted by richjee
    It's not good enough for using as your main point of contact unless you have very low expectations.

Calls don't connect, sometimes people calling in get ringing tone while the phone doesn't ring, no access to any 08xx or 03xx numbers, and everything only works via an app.

I also don't think they'll be around in the medium to long term future...
    ====
    • mobilejunkie
    • By mobilejunkie 8th Feb 17, 6:27 PM
    • 8,179 Posts
    • 2,805 Thanks
    mobilejunkie
    Not everything. I only use mine for data and don't need an app.
    • boatman
    • By boatman 8th Feb 17, 7:53 PM
    • 4,164 Posts
    • 2,941 Thanks
    boatman
    Good luck getting the Amazon voucher from BT. They say 45 days but many people have taken to the BT forum to complain it's taken much longer. You will need to chase and if you are lucky you might get them in 3 or 4 months.

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Mobile/Amazon-iTunes-Voucher/td-p/1548419/page/42
    Last edited by boatman; 08-02-2017 at 7:55 PM. Reason: hh
    • ANGELWINGS
    • By ANGELWINGS 8th Feb 17, 10:15 PM
    • 1,828 Posts
    • 23,941 Thanks
    ANGELWINGS
    I swapped over to Plusnet in January and had the same problem of waiting for my number to port. I was given one months rental in compensation. However, I have just found out the hard way ( because it's not listed in the terms and conditions) that there is no facility for short number texting with Plusnet. Therefore if you are in a car park and want to pay with your mobile you might find you can't. Their reason is that they are saving their customers from running up huge bills by texting numbers that often cost more than a standard text rate. I say this is utter rubbish because all customers with Plusnet have the option to set their safe cap limit between 2 and 10. They say they may look into it and change it in the future. If they don't hurry up I'm off somewhere else with my business, it's like going backwards and basically feeling like you are not an adult who can be responsible for using a sim.
    • Ian011
    • By Ian011 9th Feb 17, 12:40 AM
    • 2,258 Posts
    • 1,384 Thanks
    Ian011
    There are numerous issues with Plusnet Mobile's tariff sheet - all of which they have declined to fix, not least failing to point out that mobile shortcodes are blocked.
    • oldharryrocks
    • By oldharryrocks 9th Feb 17, 3:32 AM
    • 518 Posts
    • 202 Thanks
    oldharryrocks
    The BT Mobile prices with voucher and cashback are a good deal for BT broadband customers, but they have a sneaky limitation which isn't publicised.

Even though BT own EE, don't expect to get unrestricted EE speeds. BT throttle the top 4G speed you can get to 30Mbps download. That's probably OK for most users but if you you do want to go faster then you have to pay another 4 per month for the Extra Speed bolt on.
    Originally posted by shrewseddy
    You must have missed this then on the BT website .

"You get fast 4G in more places than O2, Vodafone and Three on all our mobile plans as standard and can go up to twice as fast with our Extra Speed add on "

Even Virgin only offer 25Mbps

http://store.virginmedia.com/virgin-media-mobile/our-mobile-network/fast-4g-data-speeds.html
    Last edited by oldharryrocks; 09-02-2017 at 3:47 AM.
    • craigr98
    • By craigr98 9th Feb 17, 5:29 AM
    • 182 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    craigr98
    With PlusNet mobile texts fail to send on the first attempt, but used to get that with Life mobile also. And the fact they don't have a usage monitor also, yes I know that there are generic ones available but even so...
    • jbet
    • By jbet 15th Feb 17, 8:42 AM
    • 4,734 Posts
    • 2,796 Thanks
    jbet
    I'm with EE Sim only, rang them up & they price matched the plusnet 10 a month offer
    North London is Lilywhite
    • Anonymously
    • By Anonymously 15th Feb 17, 10:43 AM
    • 18 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Anonymously
    I have been a long term Plus net customer with broadband. But recently there has been an enormous amount of complaints. I have recently had to spend hours on the phone with them because their billing is up the creek.

They only give you 3 days notice before they take a DD and once they have notified you they cannot change the DD, so if it is wrong you have to go through cancelling it OR spending hours on the phone listening to repetitive loud music before you get through.

When Martin is commending this deal on TV he really should give some warnings about their disastrous customer service.

On top of that customers have been reporting on PlusNet's own forums that they have been receiving cold calls and been asked for the security details. It took them ages to admit that the calls were really from PlusNet and not from scammers. Most companies tell people they will not cold call them and ask for their security details, but PlusNet seem to be continuing with this dangerous practice. One must ask what sort of company puts their customers at such a risk and what does it show of their concern for customers?

However cheap the deal is with PlusNet, please don't get sucked into it.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 15th Feb 17, 11:43 AM
    • 4,418 Posts
    • 2,561 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    There's a new 4GB, UL minutes & Texts from Plusnet:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/cheap-sim-only-contracts#midpick1

Monthly rolling contract, seems a good deal if only as ammo with your current supplier..
    • ANGELWINGS
    • By ANGELWINGS 15th Feb 17, 12:06 PM
    • 1,828 Posts
    • 23,941 Thanks
    ANGELWINGS
    There's a new 4GB, UL minutes & Texts from Plusnet:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/cheap-sim-only-contracts#midpick1

Monthly rolling contract, seems a good deal if only as ammo with your current supplier..
    Originally posted by Colin_Maybe
    I really wish Martin would also state that a big negative with all Plusnet mobile is no short number texting, because it's not on the Plusnet website and you don't find out until you are caught out.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 15th Feb 17, 12:07 PM
    • 4,418 Posts
    • 2,561 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    I really wish Martin would also state that a big negative with all Plusnet mobile is no short number texting, because it's not on the Plusnet website and you don't find out until you are caught out.
    Originally posted by ANGELWINGS
    That's presuming you consider it a negative, besides which I wouldn't be surprised if it's added in the future.
    • ANGELWINGS
    • By ANGELWINGS 15th Feb 17, 1:04 PM
    • 1,828 Posts
    • 23,941 Thanks
    ANGELWINGS
    That's presuming you consider it a negative, besides which I wouldn't be surprised if it's added in the future.
    Originally posted by Colin_Maybe
    What positives can you see with this restriction, given that Smart Cap is in place? If you need to pay to park in a public car park with your mobile how can you achieve this?
    Plusnet have stated that it may change in the future but the future could be anytime in the distance near or far.
    • Charles864
    • By Charles864 16th Feb 17, 1:13 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Charles864
    Just saw about the PlusNet 7.50 for loads of minutes and texts deal so went to EE, my current provider to get my PAC Code. I currently pay 12.99 per month for 300 mins. They practically begged me to stay and ended up getting unlimited minutes and texts, 4 gig for 7.49, I wasn't even trying to haggle!
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 16th Feb 17, 2:20 PM
    • 4,418 Posts
    • 2,561 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    Just saw about the PlusNet 7.50 for loads of minutes and texts deal so went to EE, my current provider to get my PAC Code. I currently pay 12.99 per month for 300 mins. They practically begged me to stay and ended up getting unlimited minutes and texts, 4 gig for 7.49, I wasn't even trying to haggle!
    Originally posted by Charles864
    That's a nice deal, the only thing stopping me trying to get that is I'd have to pay them full whack for 18 months first
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 16th Feb 17, 5:18 PM
    • 3,897 Posts
    • 1,142 Thanks
    AndyPK
    I think they do 30day contracts.

Someone on here recommend you take out a medium package for a month, then ring um up and tell them you want to downgrade to the basic and then some very good deals can be had
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,964Posts Today

5,948Users online

Martin's Twitter