Top 10 service companies to haggle with

Options

Comments

• Devonian_Rodders
    Options
    HAGGLE WITH B T

Not a big user of broadband, but in this day and age, many Companies provide either web address or premium phone lines. So I opted for BT bog standard broadband which I have had for 9 years. Over recent years I have managed to get BB for below £10 but for some reason this year proved more difficult, but got there in the end.
    Throughout the year BT have run campaigns for Basic BB and Infinity with bonus offers for new customers, like shopping vouchers etc.
    When I came to renew mine, they could not offer the prices advertised, so I hinted I could leave them altogether and start again as a new customer, but they were not impressed. After calls to their sales team over several days, I managed to get the terms I wanted, which was below that for new customers. DOES pay persist.
  • BigDave1978
    Options
    I have Sky TV, phoneline and broadband paying around £70 per month, phoned them and told them I wanted to cancel TV at the end of my contract (early December) and I now have the same package for £33 per month!
  • elfy1807
    elfy1807 Posts: 150 Forumite
    Options
    I've been with Orange for a good few years now, and my contract was up this week.
    So I phoned them on Friday, asking what they could do for me.

My previous 24 month contract consisted of 1GB data, 300 minutes and unlimited texts for £36 a month, plus £12 insurance for my iPhone (tried to cancel my insurance after a few months into the policy, but they couldn't do it for me. Gah!)

Anyway, I did a little research before phoning them up again.
    As I'm quite happy with my iPhone still, I asked for a sim only plan.

The guy on the phone offered me unlimited texts and minutes and 500MB of data for £16 a month. Not bad. But I explained that I'm not fussed about unlimited minutes because I don't make phone calls very often and that it was the data that was a problem - I want at least 1GB. So he came back to me with unlimited texts & minutes again, with 1GB data for £21.

I rejected that again because I told him that 3 could offer me 600 minutes, unlimited text and unlimited data for just £16 a month. He said Orange they don't offer unlimited data, but he could do me 2000 minutes, unlimited texts and 1.5GB of data for £16 a month, for a 12 month contract and no insurance.

A done deal.

I know 3 had a better deal for the same price on data wise, but I've never gone over my 1GB of data allowance anyway - I just like to have the back up.
    And by changing providers, I would have had to look into getting my phone unlocked, transferring all my pictures and messages onto the new sim card and transferring my phone number as well - a lot of hassle in my opinion.

So in short:
    Old Contract - 24 months - £48pcm - 1GB Data, Unlimited Texts, 300 Mins
    Offered Contract - 12 months - £16pcm - 500MB Data, Unlimited Texts, Unlimited Mins
    New (Accepted) Contract - 12 months - £16pcm - 1.5GB Data, Unlimited Texts, 2000 Mins

A saving of £36pcm - that's £432 a year!
    Debts (as of 28/10/15)
    Mum: Start £3426.00 Now £2655.00 22.5% Car (on finance): Start 13823.60 Now £8728.59 36.85%
    Current Debt Free Day: 12/1/2019

Goals:
    £2000 emergency fund £800/£2000 40%
    £5000 House Deposit £62.09/£5000 1.24%
    Car Finance Settlement Fee As of 28/10/15 £0.00/£7152.18 0%
  • Figgerty
    Figgerty Posts: 473 Forumite
    Options
    Dunkydave wrote: »
    I have just 'haggled' £10.50 off my monthly line rental charges with Sky by getting through to 'cancellations' and quoting how much cheaper BT was for an equivalent package and saying I was thinking of moving everything to BT. (Which I was!) It is for 9 months, so I'll have to go back and rehaggle in January!

And this is your FIRST post. You should have been sharing your tips with us a long tie ago.
    Some Burke bloke quote: all it takes for evil to triumph is for good men to say nothing. :silenced:
  • Titanium
    Options
    Joined Sky TV in 2009 with their half price offer for a year. Then called and said I need half price and have been enjoying it for four years! Each year they say sorry can't give you half price but a few days before cancellation they call me back and offer me half price year over year again!!! :D:D:D
  • We are not major TV watchers, we don't subscribe to movies and sports, etc, but we do like the convenience of the Sky+ box. However, seeing an outlay of £45 for a TV we use infrequently, a phone we never use and broadband which we use all of the time seemed a bit excessive. Spent 10 minutes researching the others and realized that I could get what I have now (minus a couple of Sky channels) for half the price.

Called Sky, told them I was leaving and immediately put through to retentions. Discussed the Talk Talk package, told them I was happy with Sky but cannot justify such a monthly cost when I can have the same for less.

They tried to talk to me about internet usage capping and a few other things. I brushed over it and just said I am still happy to leave.

They kept me on the same package with no service interruptions but reduced my cost, including line rental, to £30 a month for the next 12 months. That's a saving of £180 a year! And I haven't got to go through all the inconvenience of transferring to another provider.

Same call again next November...

• Trucker56
    Options
    Had a letter from Sky sayiing our bill was going to increase already £52 told them we werent happy about it and couldnt access all their new services, cancelled a couple of things we dont use their advice (Films & Multiroom) upgraded to HD + and now only pay £32 and can access the new services ie HD and on demand.
  • anika
    anika Posts: 289 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, I told Sky I will have to cancel soon and was given 50% off line rental and TV package for 6 month without even trying:j
  • BEESWAX_2
    Options
    Have been offered out of the blue, BT Broadband and Weekend Calls for £5.25 a month ( 18 month contract ) plus the usual £141 line rental, after having been with Tiscali for some years - first at £15 for the broadband and then reduced to £10 a month after three years ( I complained! ). Contacted Tiscali for my MAC code and was offered £126 line rental and £2.50 a month. Told them I thought they had had enough of my money over the years and hadn't offered me any special deals. He then offered to halve the line rental to £63 pounds and £2.50 a month. His last offer was for this deal for a three month trial period with no get out fee if I stayed.
    I may, with hindsight, regret leaving now - but I've made up my mind. We'll see. It just shows what you can do though!
  • mrs_flamingo
    Options
    Hi,
    I just tried haggling with VM and it all went horribly wrong and i've cancelled. My OH is going to go mad!!! Any advice please??
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback