Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    ellissa
    anyone got 1st central car insurance?
    • 5th May 09, 9:06 PM
    anyone got 1st central car insurance? 5th May 09 at 9:06 PM
    Official MSE Insert:

If you've arrived from Google, our Car Insurance guide may be helpful.

Back to the original post...

Hi all

Just a warning really...

..please be aware that we've just been advised 1st central car insurance policies do not give drivers 3rd party cover on other cars even if they have fully comp policies and are over 25.

As far as I'm aware this is standard on most policies but we nearly got caught out when we called them back to double check the policy we'd just purchased. You can't pay extra fo it either!

Hope nobody gets caught out! We've just cancelled within the 14 day cooling off period - just hope they promptly refund the premium that we paid in full! Fingers crossed!
    Ells
    Last edited by Former MSE Zorica; 04-02-2014 at 6:02 PM.
Page 22
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 18th Aug 14, 2:40 PM
    • 40,482 Posts
    • 24,574 Thanks
    Quentin
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Hi Quentin, thanks for your reply. Currently I put my complain through and will do everything to have my policy back and receive a compensation as what they are doing is illegal and unacceptable!
    Originally posted by Ruben24
    The problem is that a complaint can take a long time to conclude (if you are unhappy with their reply or they ignore you for 8 weeks you can then escalate to the FOS - at no charge to you - for their adjudication), and can mean the cancellation will have taken place and you have to get cover elsewhere, which could be very expensive.

So best at this stage to try and reach a manager to explain to you what this is all about (still let your complaint go through their system).

If this is a misunderstanding it will be much easier to resolve this (eg by supplying alternative id etc) prior to the cover being cancelled!
  • foxtrot_
    Hi there I was wondering if anyone had printed out the standard car policy for third party cover last year anytime in 2012. And would be able to send me a copy to look at it. The policy's change so regularly online and the paperwork is so irregular it doesn't match up to what I looked at now online to what I seen last year October 2013. I have approached 1st central and once again the paperwork is irregular and not what I read last year.

This is really important and anybody that does have a copy from last year would really help.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 16th Sep 14, 5:10 PM
    • 40,482 Posts
    • 24,574 Thanks
    Quentin
    Hi there I was wondering if anyone had printed out the standard car policy for third party cover last year anytime in 2012. ......
    Originally posted by foxtrot_

No-one is likely to have done this!!!

(Print out last year's policy the year before last)

Have you made a typo, or can you be clearer about what you are after.
  • foxtrot_
    You are right quentin that is a typo.

I need a copy of the policy that was downloaded and printed out from the website prior to October 2013.

If anyone can help that would be great.

Sorry for confusion.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 16th Sep 14, 5:25 PM
    • 40,482 Posts
    • 24,574 Thanks
    Quentin
    The changes made in their docs over the last year are available:

https://cms.1stcentralinsurance.com/KenticoCMS7Slave/KenticoCMSSlave/media/FirstCentral/documents/changes/PWC_1-1_v1-8.pdf
  • foxtrot_
    I already have this. I have reason to believe that the policy has been changed completely on one of the terms. And I mean completely changed and back dated through all policies at 1st central insurance. When I checked this particular term in Late 2013 the term is not what it said when I looked it up online and recalled the policy documents from 1st central insurance. As I didn't print it out at the time I am now liable to the term they have changed.

The only way I can prove that this term has been changed is if someone had a copy of the terms downloaded printed and in hand post November 2013.
  • foxtrot_
    Sorry pre November 2013!!!!

Sorry long day
  • foxtrot_
    Has anyone ever had an accident under 1st central insurance whilst under the influence of Alcohol??
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 25th Sep 14, 10:12 AM
    • 40,482 Posts
    • 24,574 Thanks
    Quentin
    Most insurers don't cover you being under the influence
  • Truthness
    1st Cental Insurance rip off.

1st Central Insurance should be called DANGEROUS 1st Central.

I've never posted a thread before however, this company definitely warrant it.

I've recently taken out and cancelled my car nsurance policy with this company and my experience may hopefully help someone avoid this company.

Firstly, its absolutely true that this company makes a sizable profit by making it costly for consumers to contact them by phone. In order for this company to increase their profits they intentionally make it costly to contact them by phone and would try all sorts of methods to make you call them. They tend to use the words Urgent and Imperative a lot when they are sending massages for you to contact them. So at the end of the day you're actually paying considerable more for your motor insurance, I certainly did.

Now if you have reason to make a claim or have to cancel your motor insurance policy, you will find
    that this company are nothing but a bunch of parasite and then you will realise that cheap actually means costly.

If you have an accident and you have to make a claim only to find out that your motor insurance policy isn't worth the paper its write on after paying hundreds of pounds for your insurance then this is the company for you.

• Lunnoi
    1st Central call charges
    WARNING: ref 1st central. Here is an example of the mobile call charges when you have a claim:

Wed 17 Dec 08:59 08432084242 24m 42s 8.233
    Wed 31 Dec 10:40 08432084242 14m 35s 4.861

This is 30p a minute by mobile. OUTRAGEOUS!!!!!!! It has cost us about 50.

Seriously nothing that warns you of this. Also when you have a claim you are are banded about the different outsourced teams, who dont communicate, and then you also have to pay an Admin fee to get the insurance put onto another car even if the accident was not your fault.
    • SimonSays
    • By SimonSays 19th Jan 15, 8:39 AM
    • 705 Posts
    • 568 Thanks
    SimonSays
    As I said previously, When YOU screw the bottom line so much they need to make money in other areas. Such as charging to ring them. Don't want to get charged? Then don't screw that bottom line.
  • Northern957
    Other reasons to beware
    Having read this forum, and been a 1st Central customer for 6 months, I felt reasonably grateful that i had not got any reason to complain...yet. I shouldnt have let the thought enter my head. Same day I get an e-mail from 1st Central telling me that, AFTER 6 months(!!) I have failed some verification checks and they want me to provide copies of all drivers licences and vehicle docs. OK, fair request?

Catch is that if not done in 2 weeks, they charge me 75 and cancel the policy

Now call me a cynic, but you cant read all the posts here and wonder if they will just ignore the email, take the 75, and close the policy. One less client to worry about, and lets face it, theyre not really client focussed. I will be 400 out on the premium PLUS 75 for the pleasure. So far I have spent near half an hour on the phone and no answer, and all I want to know is why, after so long they need this. BTW - the only documentation I ever got from this company was an emailed certificate - nothing else. Strange?

My advice to anyone consdiering 1st central would be - can you afford to ignore how many failings this firm has?

My question to the Insurance Ombudsman - how come they are still trading?
    • stolt
    • By stolt 5th Feb 15, 2:10 PM
    • 2,813 Posts
    • 1,210 Thanks
    stolt
    hmm i wish i had read about them before, ive got a fw days cooling off, but something that made me worry is i went through confused.com to get my policy and when i checked my policy ive noticed that the vehcile reg is a old reg before i put my prviate plate on ( this isnt recent and my confused.com account shows the right plate) contacted 1st central and they told me when the policy goes live they the system will update itself. Seems weird that it didnt just show the right ref at the start.
    Listen to what people say, but watch what people what people do!!
  • hamster67
    I am not one to post but First Central Insurance in my mind are a bunch of crooks. I was insured by them for a total of 14 hours and it has cost me 80 ( and that's if they repay the rest of the premium as they have said)

I had a problem where I had bought a new car and had to send off to get it reregistered as I live in NI. I expected the car to have its new reg in time for my insurance renewal but it did not arrive. When speaking to an advisor I pointed this out and was told it was not a problem. Well 10 hours into the policy and the postman delivers the new registration forms so I ring up to change the registration and am billed 30. When I said I wasn't too happy about the charge the person on the other end of the line could not appear to have cared less. It was more or less well you have paid now so tough.

I had also had a few problems with the employee I had spoken to the day before and alarm bells began ringing concerning this company's credibility.

I decided there and then enough was enough and asked for a cancellation quote as I was well within the 14 day cooling off period. The operator said a full refund would be given minus 63p for a days insurance and the 50 cancellation fee!

I dread to think of the kind of service these gangsters would offer if a person insured by them was unfortunate enough to be involved in an accident, I'm not even sure how their service is considered by the comparison websites.

Be warned , steer well clear.
    • dacouch
    • By dacouch 15th Feb 15, 3:38 PM
    • 20,777 Posts
    • 12,867 Thanks
    dacouch
    I am not one to post but First Central Insurance in my mind are a bunch of crooks. I was insured by them for a total of 14 hours and it has cost me 80 ( and that's if they repay the rest of the premium as they have said)

I had a problem where I had bought a new car and had to send off to get it reregistered as I live in NI. I expected the car to have its new reg in time for my insurance renewal but it did not arrive. When speaking to an advisor I pointed this out and was told it was not a problem. Well 10 hours into the policy and the postman delivers the new registration forms so I ring up to change the registration and am billed 30. When I said I wasn't too happy about the charge the person on the other end of the line could not appear to have cared less. It was more or less well you have paid now so tough.

I had also had a few problems with the employee I had spoken to the day before and alarm bells began ringing concerning this company's credibility.

I decided there and then enough was enough and asked for a cancellation quote as I was well within the 14 day cooling off period. The operator said a full refund would be given minus 63p for a days insurance and the 50 cancellation fee!

I dread to think of the kind of service these gangsters would offer if a person insured by them was unfortunate enough to be involved in an accident, I'm not even sure how their service is considered by the comparison websites.

Be warned , steer well clear.
    Originally posted by hamster67
    Try sending a well worded, concise and polite letter headed "Official Complaint".

They're obliged to properly investigate it and report back to you within 8 weeks.

I recommend you include a final sentance to the effect "If I do not receive satisfaction I will refer the matter to the Ombudsman" (If the case ends up at the Ombudsman it's free for you but costs 1st Central a lot of money even if they win so often means they make a financial decision to write off money).

I would also suggest your complaint concentrates on the costs involved as well as the attitude of the member of staff which prompted you to want to cancel.

Keep the letter polite and well worded, make it clear what your expectation of the complaint is.

If you word the letter well, you will probably get all or some of the 80 refunded.
  • hamster67
    Hopefully this will do, shocking service all together
    Dear Sir/ Madam

I took out the above policy on 13th February 2015 which began on midnight of the same date. I informed the operator at the time that I was waiting for new Northern Ireland registration plates for this vehicle and was not informed I would incur a 30 charge to change over.

The new registration documents arrived the following morning and when I phoned yourselves ( at considerable cost to myself via your premium rate phone line) I was informed of this charge which I stated I was unhappy paying as I was only hours into the policy and had not even driven the car. The phone operator was pushy saying it was company policy and there were no exceptions after which feeling pressurised I give over my bank details.

However as I felt increasingly uncomfortable with the service I was being offered I decided it was best that I exercised my right to change my mind as I was only 14 hours into the 14 day cooling off period

Although 261.02 was refunded I was still charged 30 for changing a policy I cancelled, a cancellation fee of 50 and a further charge of 6.33 which I assume was for the 14 hours cover I had.I find these charges excessive in the extreme and would like to think that you would agree. I would expect the bulk of these charges to be refunded.

If I do not receive satisfaction I will refer the matter to the Ombudsman.
    • dacouch
    • By dacouch 17th Feb 15, 9:45 PM
    • 20,777 Posts
    • 12,867 Thanks
    dacouch
    Dear Sir/ Madam

I took out the above policy on 13th February 2015 which began on midnight of the same date. I informed the operator at the time that I was waiting for new Northern Ireland registration plates for this vehicle and was not informed I would incur a 30 charge to change over.

The new registration documents arrived the following morning and when I phoned yourselves ( at considerable cost to myself via your premium rate phone line) I was informed of this charge which I stated I was unhappy paying as I was only hours into the policy and had not even driven the car. The phone operator was pushy saying it was company policy and there were no exceptions after which feeling pressurised I give over my bank details.

However as I felt increasingly uncomfortable with the service I was being offered I decided it was best that I exercised my right to change my mind as I was only 14 hours into the 14 day cooling off period

Although 261.02 was refunded I was still charged 30 for changing a policy I cancelled, a cancellation fee of 50 and a further charge of 6.33 which I assume was for the 14 hours cover I had.I find these charges excessive in the extreme and would like to think that you would agree. I would expect the bulk of these charges to be refunded.

If I do not receive satisfaction I will refer the matter to the Ombudsman.
    Originally posted by hamster67
    That's a good complaint letter, you've kept it polite and avoided rambling and getting emotional.

I would elaborate the first paragraph as this is the crux of your arguement eg the operator did not point out to you there could be an admin fee, if they had it may have affected your decision to purchase thus avoiding the amendment fee and cancellation fee.

I would not sign off with asking for the bulk of the charges to be refunded as this tells them they can buy your complaint off with giving your back 40. Try signing off with had the administration charge been clearly communicated to me at the time of purchasing this would have influenced my decision to buy and thus I would have avoided these charges I would therefore ask you refund the amendment and cancellation charge.

You can then negotiate from there.

Incidently did they communicate their terms of business (Where their admin charges are explained to you whilst on the phone or while you were obtaining the quote on line? They have to do this.

Be aware there's a good chance they monitor this thread or are alerted to it via google alerts so may be aware of your letter before they receive it. That's not a bad thing as they will know you are receiving advice and are minded to take it to the Ombudsman if they don't play ball.

Your policy wording or their website gives the address to send the complaint to. Make sure you head the letter "Official Complaint" and ideally send it by recorded delivery
  • sorrentoking
    AVOID 1st Central Insurance
    As I type I have my hands free activated and have been in a queue with 1st central for an hour, I determined to get through as one of their poicy holders damaged my car and they will not reply to my insurance company, its been over two weeks and work has not begun on my car as we can't get hold of 1st central for approval. I would never use this company clearly customer service is not an option for them.

My insurance has sent them email after email and has attempted several times to call all to no avail......the hold times are ludicrous
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 23rd Feb 15, 11:24 AM
    • 40,482 Posts
    • 24,574 Thanks
    Quentin
    As you have put in a claim to your own insurers then you have no need to waste your time like this.

You need to get on to your own insurers and complain to them about the delay in getting your repairs done.

Once you make a claim they should get on with the repairs - sorting out their reimbursement from the other side is their problem, and generally takes months to finalise rather than a couple of weeks.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

110Posts Today

1,213Users online

Martin's Twitter