anyone got 1st central car insurance?

Options

Comments

• jasperboy83
    Options
    I have looked on the limited paperwork they sent me and no excesses are shown.It is a comprehensive policy.
  • neljeweluk
    Options
    I transfered my 1st Central policy to my new car on 4th June 2010 and on Saturday 28th August I was pulled over by the police and informed that my car was not on the National Insurance Database. 1st Central have said they will rectify this oversight but I am certainly not the only person that this has happened to with this company. There are a number of other reviews on Google where this has been the case. I would strongly advise and 1st Central policy holder to check if this company has also neglected to add their policy to the Database.
  • SarahAnnMarie
    Options
    !st Central are pants.
    My friend and I was in a RTA which was not my friends fault. My friend had borrowed his mothers car to take her to hospital.

When we was hit and had to take it through to claims, we found out that he was not covered.

Tom, NO ONE from 1st Central had said that fully comp excludes you from being 3rd party in an emerg.

I have been looking into 1st Central over many weeks and ihave head endless amounts of issues regarding them and the 0870 numbers, call waiting times and being on hold only to be cut off after 20/30 mins of waiting.

the T & C's just tell you what you are covered for they didnt state anything about fully comp not allowing you to be insured under 3rd party.

I am discussed with 1st Central aand would REALLY STRONLY advise people to NOT take out a policy with them.

Service - VERY Poor
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    edited 6 September 2010 at 2:11PM
    Options
    My friend had borrowed his mothers car to take her to hospital.

When we was hit and had to take it through to claims, we found out that he was not covered.

Tom, NO ONE from 1st Central had said that fully comp excludes you from being 3rd party in an emerg.

They probably are generally pants, though you can't hold this complaint against them!

It was down to your friend to make sure he was covered before driving the car.

No insurer points out that other drivers are excluded from driving the car under their policy! The certificate shows who is covered.
  • ceeekay
    ceeekay Posts: 6 Forumite
    edited 6 September 2010 at 1:47PM
    Options
    Well I have read most of this thread, and have to say it is completely alien to my own experiences with 1st Central.

Firstly it was made crystal clear to my via the telephone that I would not be covered to drive another car, that was okay by me, so I took out insurance cover with them in July this year.

My then car then failed an mot and repair was uneconomical.
    I telephoned 1st central on Friday evening telling them i had found a car and the car had no tax and i would take ownership the next day, I explained to them when changing the insurance over to my new car that I needed to tax the car and would need the insurance certificate ASAP, not a problem, it was emailed to me shortly afterwards and I was able to tax the new car on the saturday morning.

My premium rose as the car has a bigger engine, this was placed onto my installments and I was told my payments would rise to xx amount.

On Saturday 04/09/2010 I recieved a letter from premium credit who said they was going to take almost £10 more a month than what 1st central told me. 1st central are not open during the weekend so I had to wait untill today. My call was answered promptly, I explained what had happened and the person from 1st central took down notes and told me he would go and see his supervisor straight away about the matter, WITHIN FIVES MINUTES, I had a call back informing me an error had been made and that my direct debit is now back to the XX amount originally quoted.

I am pleased to be with 1st central and glad they will not pay out willy nilly like my last insurer did AXIA for a tiny wee dink to a rental car that could have been fixed for less than 150 pounds, instead despite my having pictures and statements about the incident Axia went out and paid over 1700 pounds.. and my premium rose hence 1st Central becoming my insurance company. So good on 1st Central, at least one very happy customer here.
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ceeekay wrote: »
    Well I have read most of this thread, and have to say it is completely alien to my own experiences with 1st Central.

Firstly it was made crystal clear to my via the telephone that I would not be covered to drive another car, that was okay by me, so I took out insurance cover with them in July this year.

My then car then failed an mot and repair was uneconomical.
    I telephoned 1st central on Friday evening telling them i had found a car and the car had no tax and i would take ownership the next day, I explained to them when changing the insurance over to my new car that I needed to tax the car and would need the insurance certificate ASAP, not a problem, it was emailed to me shortly afterwards and I was able to tax the new car on the saturday morning.

My premium rose as the car has a bigger engine, this was placed onto my installments and I was told my payments would rise to xx amount.

On Saturday 04/09/2010 I recieved a letter from premium credit who said they was going to take almost £10 more a month than what 1st central told me. 1st central are not open during the weekend so I had to wait untill today. My call was answered promptly, I explained what had happened and the person from 1st central took down notes and told me he would go and see his supervisor straight away about the matter, WITHIN FIVES MINUTES, I had a call back informing me an error had been made and that my direct debit is now back to the XX amount originally quoted.

I am pleased to be with 1st central and glad they will not pay out willy nilly like my last insurer did AXIA for a tiny wee dink to a rental car that could have been fixed for less than 150 pounds, instead despite my having pictures and statements about the incident Axia went out and paid over 1700 pounds.. and my premium rose hence 1st Central becoming my insurance company. So good on 1st Central, at least one very happy customer here.

Try checking whether your car shows as being insured on the data base the police use to confirm whether a car is insured and which their ANPR cameras work from.

You can do it here https://www.askmid.com

I would be very surprised if it is
  • ceeekay
    Options
    I checked the askmid yesterday, great little online tool and yes my car was/is on the database.

Personally I think most insurance companies are going to have those who say do not touch with a barge pole, for me it is kwik fit and Axia, but thats down to my own personal experiences with them.

I am sorry to hear the problems some have encountered but would just like to point out that from my perspective I am very happy with 1st Central, should they ever mess me around then I will simply change insurers.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    edited 7 September 2010 at 3:30PM
    Options
    should they ever mess me around then I will simply change insurers.

That's not so straightforward if the messing you around they do is to wrongly deny your claim because of their unenforceable conditions and leave you car-less for weeks whilst you fight them!

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2573777
  • Wumpus_2
    Options
    I checked the askmid yesterday, great little online tool and yes my car was/is on the database.

Personally I think most insurance companies are going to have those who say do not touch with a barge pole, for me it is kwik fit and Axia, but thats down to my own personal experiences with them.

I am sorry to hear the problems some have encountered but would just like to point out that from my perspective I am very happy with 1st Central, should they ever mess me around then I will simply change insurers.

You never find out just how good/bad an insurance company is until you actually make a claim. So pray you never find out for sure!

But I suppose that even 1st Central might actually get it right sometimes.
  • jasperboy83
    Options
    I was horrified when i saw all the complaints re insurance claims and non insurance.
    I had to claim for a new windscreen so i phoned the freephone number and got through straight away. The appointment was booked for 2 days later and the man turned up ON TIME. I was amazed. He done the replacement quickly and professionally, cleaned up after himself took my payment and left.
    On that experience i would use them again:T.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure