PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

June 2008 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• taplady
    taplady Posts: 7,184 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    MRSM - thanks for the veggie cottage pie recipe - sounds right up my street - I've had a bag of those lentils in my cupboard since giving up meat and didn't know how to use them!:T
    Do what you love :happyhear
  • ifonlyitwaseasier
    Options
    here you go bigMummaF

GUINNESS CAKE

Preparation Time: 30 minutes
    Cooking Time: 45 minutes to an hour
    Makes: 12 large slices!
    Ingredients:

For the cake:
    • 250ml (that’s ½ a can) Guinness
    • 250g unsalted butter
    • 75g cocoa
    • 400g caster sugar
    • 1 x 142ml pot sour cream
    • 2 eggs
    • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
    • 275g plain flour
    • 2½ teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
    For The Topping Method:

1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas mark 4. Butter and line a 23cm springform tin. The cake will be quite sticky when coming out the oven so using a springform tin is a must if you don’t want the cake to stick.
    2. Pour the Guinness into a large saucepan, add the butter is small chunks and heat until the butter melts. Turn off the heat but leave the pot on the pan.
    3. Whisk in the cocoa and sugar.
    4. Beat together the sour cream, eggs and vanilla extract then mix into to the pan.
    5. Finally whisk in the flour and bicarb of soda.
    6. Pour the cake into your cake tin and then place in the oven for 45 minutes to an hour. My cakes are normally done around the 50 minute mark.
    7. When the cake is done let it cool completely in the cake tin before turning it out onto a plate or cooling rack.
    8. Now for the topping. Put the Philadelphia into a bowl and whisk until smooth. At this point my whisk broke so I hope this doesn’t happen to you!
    9. Once the cream cheese is smooth, sieve in your icing sugar and beat them together.
    10. Finally add your cream and beat until it reaches a spreadable texture.
    11. Ice the top of the cake so that it looks like the frothy top to a pint of Guinness. Extra points if you can make a shamrock on the top too!

i made as cupcakes and it was lovely!!!!
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• tattycath
    tattycath Posts: 7,175 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi everyone. BMF fancy you being on here this morning :D
    I managed a no spend day yesterday and it's such a rare occurrence for me I'm reall pleased. I'm hoping for another no spend day today (I have given the kids their dinner money but that comes out of a different budget). I When I say no spend I mean no spend on the grocery budget. Well done everyone so far, continued good luck for the rest of the challenge.
    GE 36 *MFD may 2043
    MFIT-T5 #60 £136,850.30
    Mortgage overpayments 2019 - £285.96
    2020 Jan-£40-feb-£18.28.march-£25
    Christmas savings card 2020 £20/£100
    Emergency savings £100/£500
    12/3/17 175lb - 06/11/2019 152lb
  • Naomim
    Naomim Posts: 3,117 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Blimey! I never realised how much I spent on bits and pieces during the month. I spent £3.57 in Wilkos getting washing conditioner, hair conditioner and kids plasters. £6.55 in Tesco (I needed new slippers) and forgot how expensive milk had got. £1.44 for a 4 pint :mad:.

Off to the pound shop again this afternoon to get bits for DS's birthday party. Also got to do a weekly shop.

Naomi x
    Credit Cards NOV 2019 £33,220.42 Sept 2023 £19,951.00 Tilly Tidy 20223/COLOR] Sept £43.71 Here's my diary: A Ditherer's Diary Again
  • Anitaj73
    Anitaj73 Posts: 155 Forumite
    Options
    ifonlyitwaseasier Thanx for the guiness cake recipe......I'm gonna try this for father's day :D
    May GC £350/ spent so far

family life = 2 adults DS x3 & DD1 + dog :)
  • Brassic
    Brassic Posts: 557 Forumite
    Options
    Not a NSD for me. I need to go and get a red onion and white, some bread, milk, cereal, fruit and veg, and bicarb of soda (desperately needed to clean my thermos and apparently my grout!), some meat for the curry and some cheese. Oh and some hand soap too.

Will NOT spend any more though this week!

Am also going to get another grow bag as I've managed to clear another space, so I can grow some squash - that won't be part of the grocery budget though.

Brassic
    Debts @ lightbulb moment (13/06/2006) - £59,842.23 :eek: All commercial debts now clear!!! :T Debts April - £20,000 to family (incl extra £10k borrowed for house deposit). DFD - Aug 2014
    Proud to be dealing with my debts
    Goal of the month - £500 on groceries for family of 5 - Apr 2011 - £620! :( May - £454.85 so far.
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    [Can anyone tell me I have a large pack of lamb mince in freezer. If I take it out and use half for burgers. If I cook other half and make it into a sheppards type pie, will I be able to freeze it again as lamb will be cooked or would it still be alright to eat next day? ( both mince and mashed potato topping ) Sorry for sounding so thick but new to this, never cook and always throw stuff away. But am turning over a new leaf as inspired by you all.]

Not sure if this has been answered yet, but the simple answer is yes - you can freeze the shep pie - if you change the state of the meat (ie raw to cooked) you can refreeze. Alternatively, it will be equally as good if you leave it in the fridge for a day or two:D :D

GT
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • OrkneyStar
    OrkneyStar Posts: 7,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    MRSMCAWBER wrote: »
    Hi there boomdocker..is it this one?
    I have taken the pics out... it was on weezl's thread

shepherdless pie ie its vegetarian

400g continental lentils- I have heard of green, red and puy lentils but not continental ? I like the sound of this pie but might make a one with these ingredients and a little mince instead of the celery! (keeps DS happy lol)
    6 carrots diced
    2 medium onions chopped
    2 sticks celery chopped
    1 leek sliced thinly
    1 tablespoon tomato puree
    3 stock cubes
    about 1.5 litres water
    tablespoon dried mint - if I use fresh mint leaves should I add a bit more ?
    a little cornflour or instant gravy granules
    about a kilo mashed potato

its a bung it all in the pan(except the gravy granules /flour) and cook until lentils are soft type of recipe i( use a pressure cooker) then i thicken with the gravy granules/flour

Then strain the lentil mixture reserving the gravy put the lentil mixture into an oven proof dish top with the mash and bake in a hot oven until browned
    Thanks very much- this recipe sounds very very yummy and we had planned cottage pie for tomorrow so this could be done instead.
    Ermutigung wirkt immer besser als Verurteilung.
    Encouragement always works better than judgement.

• FelineFantastic
    Options
    Morning!!

Just a quickie to celebrate 3 NSD's (am including today!) in a row for me :j :beer:

How is everyone- welcome to all Newbies (am one too!) and will try and catch up on the thread later:D

Yoghurt cake cooked and pronounced scrummy by all at home- made with homemade yoghurt too (get me the Domestic Goddess)! ;)
    June Budget= £151.41/£150:cool:
    10 NSDs (with teenagers :eek:!!)= 8
    Reduced my overdraft a little today- slow but sure!:A
  • queenpig
    queenpig Posts: 419 Forumite
    Options
    Gosh I can't keep up with this theard lol.

Went shopping saturday and spent £48.33.
    that was for mainly milk, yogurts, fresh juice and lunch box bits.
    Grocery Challenge. £400. - £35.22 + £19.80 + £109.01 = £164.03
    Other spends (Clothes Luxuries etc)£11.97 + £1.19 + £7.36 + £69.00 + £38.50 + £5.50 + £23.00 +£2.00 = £158.52:shocked::sad:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure